THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I somehow got the impression the dash cam footage was from a law enforcement officer.

I think maybe that was in the title when it was posted here locally.

K

EVERYONE these days have cameras, dash cams etc. someone may have seen the car start getting loose we’ll before it flew off, and had the cam on.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy with the boat can just unhook the trailer and drive home!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"One sticks out leaving a Lowe's, fiberglass tub enclosure that was just sitting in the bed. as soon as they got up to about 50 MPH the whole thing lifted straight up and crashed down onto the highway shattering into splinters, fortunately no one drove over it"

My buddy did this very same thing. It flew out on the highway at 60mph thank goodness no one was hurt. I tie down my tie downs. Everyone laughs at the amount of tiedowns I use.
Never lost anything though.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever I carry something heavy in my truck, like a 500 lb concrete landscaping block, if my wife is with me I put it on the passenger side of the bed and remind to that if I come to really quick stop it's going to come through the back of cab a smush her, and I turn off the passenger airbag too.

Naaaahhh, I wouldn't do that

Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Whenever I carry something heavy in my truck, like a 500 lb concrete landscaping block, if my wife is with me I put it on the passenger side of the bed and remind to that if I come to really quick stop it's going to come through the back of cab a smush her, and I turn off the passenger airbag too.

Naaaahhh, I wouldn't do that

ROFLMAO!!!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

I load steel pipe on semi trucks. They vari in length, but most are 43ft, and weigh 4-6000lbs each. We loaded a truck last week and the driver only used 2 straps to secure the whole load. He had 45k worth of pipe on the truck.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TRUTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not going anywhere.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	519886  

Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Two big failures there.

First, and biggest, was the nitwit who didn't properly tie that car down.
Wouldn't surprise me to learn it was merely an automatic placed in park. How else does a car *suddenly* roll off the trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Second was the guy who's brakes apparently don't work and ran into it. Not that it would've escaped undamaged if it hadn't been hit, but I just don't understand how that guy with the camera didn't see that thing coming and get on the brakes.
HOV lane + cruise control + radio = oblivious

Even if he was experiencing tunnel vision, just moments earlier another vehicle moved into his lane too. Traffic suddenly starts shifting left? That's a great time to PAY ATTENTION. Whenever I notice unusual traffic flow, there's usually something more to it. The fact that his speed and/or course didn't change shows he wasn't attentive.
Quote:
The occupants of the victim vehicle were startled according to Troopers but were not injured.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the pictures there's a chain still attached to the front left frame area, betting the chain slacked and the hook dropped off, then off the trailer it went. When you chain the front without a chain tightener to keep tension on the hooks, you damn sure need something pulling the car to the rear of the trailer to keep tension on the front chain so the hooks can't slide of the link in the chain. The car also seemed to roll freely when it was on the road, seemed like it was in neutral, but this is just guessing without any real knowledge of the real facts. Day after the game quarterbacking.

But then it could be the chain got hooked to the car to haul it off the road to get it out of traffic, who knows...

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-10-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
I took this pic on Friday before Labor Day in Prairie Du Chien, WI...
First bump and the suspension compresses that thing is gone. Can't believe anybody even thought this was a good idea?

That Chevelle is munched so bad it will probably get parted out. Some bodies project car just died a painful death. What a shame.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigGT37 View Post
I load steel pipe on semi trucks. They vari in length, but most are 43ft, and weigh 4-6000lbs each. We loaded a truck last week and the driver only used 2 straps to secure the whole load. He had 45k worth of pipe on the truck.
Again, not only stupid but dangerous. Anything over a certain length needs multiple straps, not just 2! Im surprised they even let him out of the yard loaded like that. I had a lumber delivery and the guy had a few 16' porch ceiling boards, probably less than 20. He only had 2 straps, he was moaning when he got to the job site that he had a hefty fine(I think it was $250, maybe $500) for not having enough straps. It was his own fault, but of course he was trying to blame the guy that loaded him.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Wouldn't surprise me to learn it was merely an automatic placed in park. How else does a car *suddenly* roll off the trailer?

HOV lane + cruise control + radio = oblivious

Even if he was experiencing tunnel vision, just moments earlier another vehicle moved into his lane too. Traffic suddenly starts shifting left? That's a great time to PAY ATTENTION. Whenever I notice unusual traffic flow, there's usually something more to it. The fact that his speed and/or course didn't change shows he wasn't attentive.

I have successfully ridden my motorcycle all over the country. I try to pay extra attention to everything around me at all times, even when in a car. I see so many people that are oblivious.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I almost forgot another common amateur hauler mistake that is upsetting to me. After getting the car on the trailer, how about at least hooking the lights up and verifying that they actually work?

Class A CDL drivers can be, and are sighted for non working lights on their rigs all the time, yet when I was driving for a living I'd see car trailers and utility trailers with nary a light on them driving around the loop around Columbus OH regularly. Night or day, not a working light showing to the rear, because no one bothered to check the lights on the trailer. Many times they never hooked the pigtail up, so it, and the safety chains are dragging on the pavement, sparks flying.

With all the screwups I've seen over the years, it's a wonder there aren't more cars falling off trailers......……..

1984 Grand Prix

Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I use those straps that have a hook, over frame member to a d ring I tie that connection with a short piece of rope that way if it gets slack it won't fall apart. Also I use some kind of 'insulation ' on straps over frame so strap isnt frayed. I've seen loading of those concrete blocks ,that are approx 4000lbs,on a tractor trailer fastened with straps but no kind of plastic insulator where strap grabs block! That could easily fray the strap. I heard state looks for that. That boat should slide easily off truck into water.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Improper strapping took down that Military 747 jet in 2013. They used straps on the sides with these vehicles that weighed 30,000 lbs. each, which did virtually nothing. The vehicles rolled back and destroyed the control mechanism for the tail, causing a complete loss of control. I saw this on a TV show here called Mayday. Not sure if you get it down there.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Preventable every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I almost forgot another common amateur hauler mistake that is upsetting to me. After getting the car on the trailer, how about at least hooking the lights up and verifying that they actually work?

Class A CDL drivers can be, and are sighted for non working lights on their rigs all the time, yet when I was driving for a living I'd see car trailers and utility trailers with nary a light on them driving around the loop around Columbus OH regularly. Night or day, not a working light showing to the rear, because no one bothered to check the lights on the trailer. Many times they never hooked the pigtail up, so it, and the safety chains are dragging on the pavement, sparks flying.

With all the screwups I've seen over the years, it's a wonder there aren't more cars falling off trailers......……..
There probably is, they just didn't get caught on camera!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

How about the people that don't load the weight properly or have the wrong drawbar? I have seen front engine vehicles backed onto trailers and drawbars that have the tongue nose high or too low. People don't understand how important that is for safety and control.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Death wobble, first time you're driving a rig and it starts the death wobble, you might do a better job of distributing the load the next time, or maybe not. Depends upon intelligence quotient, and common sense.

Most anything I own that carries serious weight is fifth wheeled, that makes for a much safer easier tow over bumper hitches.

Then there's this guy, the height of safety:

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-11-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haha. Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.