Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Default 1968 Endura bumper assembly question

Feels like a stupid question, but I hope that those that have done this can give me advice. I am getting ready to put on a bare endura bumper onto my GTO that was missing the front end, and have been trying to put the whole thing together, but I dont have the "L" support (lower bumper bracket? Support bracket? Whatever you call it) that bolts to the other side of the non-hideaway support. Is that a mandatory piece, and if so, where is a good place to get it?

I have an extra complete chrome bumper I will be taking the grill/ lights out of to put in the Endura, and I have the grill brackets to make the grill adapt to the Endura... Anything else I need? What else should I consider to make assembling the bumper easier?

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7048.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	520418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	520419  

Old 09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From your pics that chrome bumper is a 69, it is taller than the endura bumper so nothing will fit except the L shaped frame to bumper brackets (thats why there are two different holes where the bottom of the bumper bolts to the bracket. (those brackets won't work with hideaway lights btw)

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you're trying to describe the smaller L shape brackets that pinch the nose to the main bigger L shape brackets that hold it to the frame? if so, those are only for the purpose of stiffening the nose for the use of the bumper jack in that slot. you should never use a bumper jack on the car anyways, so if those are missing, not a deal breaker for mounting it. (and those are used by both hideaway and non hideaway versions of the nose)

Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Those are exactly the ones I was trying to describe! So I will feel better knowing I don't need those!
As for trying to swap the interior... I was not aware of the difference between the 68-69 nose... And I have another set of the frame to bumper brackets I was going to use... (Go figure)
So basically I cant use the 69 bumper and such unless I put it on to use while I am looking for the correct 68 parts...

Thank you both for the help!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a nice and complete 68 Chrome front bumper if anyone is intrested

Old 09-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathrn View Post
Those are exactly the ones I was trying to describe! So I will feel better knowing I don't need those!
As for trying to swap the interior... I was not aware of the difference between the 68-69 nose... And I have another set of the frame to bumper brackets I was going to use... (Go figure)
So basically I cant use the 69 bumper and such unless I put it on to use while I am looking for the correct 68 parts...

Thank you both for the help!
that 69 bumper will mount fine on the 68 I think you're misinterpreting Norths description, the non-hideaway frame brackets won't work with a hideaway setup because the light mechanisms interfere in the spacing. The big L frame brackets are the same for all 68/69 chrome/endura non-hideaway. A 68 chrome nose has same shape as an endura, the 69 chrome nose has that big middle beak like a catalina

Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Right, the 69 chrome bumper will bolt up to the 68 GTO, but the interior parts of the 69 chrome bumper cant be used for the 68 Endura bumper...
I am still deciding if I want to sell it off and get the interior parts of the 68 Endura... Do I want to wait that long...