Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's an example. I live 5 miles from Auto Zone. I was looking at a set of Stainless Flowmaster Tail pipes #815802. Auto Zone stock them $181.99. At least ten Ebay sellers same price shipped free no tax? I did a web search and an Auto Zone advertizement popped up so I checked it out. $181.99 shipped to my door plus Ciber Monday sale 20 percent off and a $20.00 Visa gift card. I still had to pay the tax but bought them to my door for $154.33 plus I got the $20.00 gift card. I saved $54.86 on one purchase.

My point is it takes a lot of parts buying to restore a classic. Every time I save money on price or Shipping no matter how small I'm ahead of the game. It's more parts I can afford to buy. It's common sense. Scott

Old 12-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's also good to try to buy several items at a time as Ames charges on a value scale -- up to $50, $50 to $100...

Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eckler's, Summit Racing, AMD.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Part of the issue with Ames may be their location in the country. You don't see many companies locating distribution in the NE corner of the country to support the continental US.
I'm not making an excuse for the original post (ridiculous especially since you are close) but it may cost more to ship from their location than say somewhere in the Midwest.

I think someone said it best earlier "They don't care" unless you complain.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 PM

I'm not going to bash them, but it is an issue that eventually will cost them customers...if they care. I've bought parts from Ames since the early 80s when Steve's catalog was a bunch of copied pages stapled together. In recent years though I've been buying more from other vendors like Inline tube and even the Parts Place simply due to Ames shipping costs (plus a few bad experiences with backorders).
I live about an hour from Ames and ordered some items last Friday. "Most" of the items I bought can be had for about the same price from just about any of the other vendors so price was not the factor. But I wanted some of these things for the weekend (and didn't want to buy from several different places). So I figured I'd pick them up (and save the shipping), and then would visit some friends since I was in the area. But apparently they are no longer open on Saturdays for parts pickup. I was told I could pickup my parts on Tuesday (which isn't an option since like everyone else, I work)...so I bit the bullet and ate $32 in shipping for a box that might weigh all of 5 lbs (and travel 50 miles).
I had 2 LARGE boxes from Legendary Interiors a couple months ago with seat backs and bases, kick panels, arm rest pads, etc...plus a roll with about a yard of vinyl material. They charged me $23 for shipping.
This was a reminder of why I almost always go elsewhere now.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames values their employees as well as customers, Thats why no Saturday "pick up" anymore. I too bought parts directly from Steve and backed up to one of his "barns" and he helped load them..
With Ames, you are paying for the Box , labor, the shipping materials and the UPS.
They not yet big enough to just write off all those costs. I can drive there too ( about 2 hours in State), but usually only for sheet metal ( which they do stock). I have Never had Any parts they shipped crushed or in a box too small, or broken, etc... Ames also ships over seas some and I believe they get a much better Job at that from UPS than anyone else.
Ames also has a Tech support center, that doesn't add a charge to your parts bill, they also SPONSOR these very forums, at NO Charge to us users.
If nothing else, I would consider any extra shipping costs a Very Small price to pay for All they can and do provide us ALL..

Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm sure Ames values employees as do other shops. I have used other part companies tech support and found some good as well. Ames never had forums until they pick up this from PY but charged high shipping rates even before.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 PM

I have 8 Pontiacs, none of which are GTO or Firebird. I appreciate the fact that Ames has some parts for my stuff. Honestly I have never looked at the shipping cost on my invoice, since I cant get it anywhere else. Always excellent service and good quality parts that arrive in good condition.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Default costs

I do like Aims products and some of us on this site buy many parts from there from time to time. Shipping is the deal breaker for allot of parts I need. So since many of us have issues with the shipping [use of over size boxes] and over changes, Maybe Aims can offer some shipping discounts that will change our minds where we shop,+ without having to spend $1000 dollars in order to get a $10.00 discount. Try a rewards card or something of that nature, my2cents

Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never paid attention to Ames shipping cost until I read this thread. I looked back at some invoices and some of it has been high but to me the customer service makes up for it. Now if you could get Summit to quit charging 9 dollars handling on everything that goes out the door I would be happy.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With Summit I usually order enough that there is no added shipping charge.
Thanks for paying my shipping too!

Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh I usually make a big order too but it's just frustrating to need a small order and they add "handling" not even shipping

Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I hate about ordering from Summit is that I have to pay shipping AND tax. I can drive over there but the traffic in that area is WACKO! Last time I went there on my lunch break (Because it's 25 miles closer to work than home) there was literally a 1/2 mile of big rigs lined up to get off at the exit. I had to get behind another block long line of them to get out of the parking lot area. In addition to that, I-75 going south out of Atlanta is almost always very heavy.
After you finally get there, there is usually a 20 minute wait for them to pull the part for you. They do a brisk walk-in business.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In other forums, I have addressed this issue before. It's just not Ames. It's the majority of major vendors. It's my opinion that they don't care about the shipping or how to be more conservative with it. You either want the part and pay their inflated shipping, or you don't. Whatever is easiest for them at your expense, they will do. No one will ever convince me that the vendors don't make money on shipping. For example, I ordered a wiring schematic from a vendor on line. Weighs about 2 ounces and is 11x17. Shipping was $3.95. That same schematic from Ames was $10.00 for shipping. Quite a difference. What this does is forces me to look on line at other vendors more often. I always look for free shipping or a reduced rate. Admittedly, I don't order a lot of parts anymore. But, I do feel for those who are presently doing a restoration and have to pay these shipping prices. Ridiculous, Carmine.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the above post. It's not just Ames. Some weeks I spend thousands on parts. It takes lots of time to research and compare pricing, and that includes shipping costs. There have been a few times that I priced an order over the phone and refused to finalize when shipping cost was ridiculous. As a result I've had that cost reduced or eliminated to complete the sale. So some companies really want to make a sale.
I buy enough that I get dealer discounting from some companies, so that savings offsets shipping costs.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI:
1. There is NO free shipping , let that sink in...
2. There can be Volume discount incentives for shipping products through one company.
3. You CAN get a Cash Discount at Ames as well. They have seen Plenty of my Dead Presidents.
4. 3 rd source retailers will often advertise "Lost leaders",( over stock or very common parts people order, small in size) and write off the loss they get as Promotional ( the loss is in the "free shipping, or part, or both) TO get you back to their spot..
5. Ames support to shows and to customers, AND their Sponsorship of this "FREE" Forum $$$$ , makes the shipping a Non issue for me..

Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do appreciate this forum like everybody else. But we all help to pay for this free forum by paying excessive shipping cost. And lets not forget the tax right off incentives that come with a free forum. I realize this is clouding the issue but nothing is ever free.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionalShaker View Post
It's also good to try to buy several items at a time as Ames charges on a value scale -- up to $50, $50 to $100...
That's the problem with the value scale. I only needed one, 2 ounce, $16.00 item which would have cost $10.00 to ship. I don't think that is a good way of conducting business. BTW, received a personal message from Ames re. my complaint about the wiring schematic. They were very apologetic and said they would correct the description. They didn't have t do that. It was very nice of them. I've stated before, that I like Ames and will continue to buy from them. Most people probably don't expect a free lunch, i.e. free shipping. What they do expect though, is something more reasonable and considerate in shipping. Personally, I see there is room for improvement in this arena without giving away the ranch, Carmine.

My apologies. The thread from Ames wasn't a personal message. It was posted in a different thread. Just remembered.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys must think that shipping DEPT. have robots to pull parts, verify orders, pack well,make or buy boxes, shipping materials, and ship too. Ya know some places just add a "handling charge" . Part of profits are INVESTED in Development of new Pontiac parts at Ames Performance. . But I guess that doesn't matter... till you want a new part that Steve was Engineering. ..

Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
You guys must think that shipping DEPT. have robots to pull parts, verify orders, pack well,make or buy boxes, shipping materials, and ship too. Ya know some places just add a "handling charge" . Part of profits are INVESTED in Development of new Pontiac parts at Ames Performance. . But I guess that doesn't matter... till you want a new part that Steve was Engineering. ..
Plus the fact they run this wonderful forum we are all on and don't charge a membership fee like some others do.