Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Broke Curtis tractor Cab windshield

Today I shattered the windshield on the Curtis cab that is on my Kubota BX2200. Anyone know an alternative to the $576 OEM part?

Plain glass isn't going to work because it has mounting holes for hinges, wiper motor etc.

Doesn't seem to be an aftermarket for aftermarket if you know what I mean.

I don't know if glass shops can drill safety glass ... or how the heck I would even come up with an accurate pattern. Since it doesn't fit into a frame in the cab (it's hinged and seals against the outside of the cab frame) ... I suppose I might be able to come up with dimensions close enough for the holes if a shop can drill them.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a place called "One Day Glass" ... evidently I can specify the type of glass I want (Laminated), upload a CAD file (which I can do) and they will produce the glass and send it to the house (free shipping).

Something I don't understand is that windshields according to my research are almost always made of the more expensive laminated glass rather than tempered glass. Wondering why Curtis Cabs uses tempered glass when I guess that is a BIG no-no according to safety organizations. SIDE windows are often tempered glass ... the stuff that shatters in a million pieces ... but evidently some auto makers are shifting to laminated for the side windows also.

The quote for a plain piece of rectangular laminated safety glass 1/4" thick was $136 ... can't imagine drilling a few holes will cost a fortune. So I think I will start taking some measurements and see if I can work up a drawing. Maybe make a template also.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Senior Chief

Don' t know of any aftermarket sources for stuff like that...a glass shop could probably make one but I don't think it would be safety glass as I think that those are probably laser cut.....glass guy would probably charge as much as the OEM.

You could probably make one yourself out of Lexan or Plexiglass? Maybe Make a template out of cardboard?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Evidently this place out in WA actually CNC laser and water jet cuts the laminated safety glass.

If their "online quote" is even close it would be about $350 cheaper than OEM.

It's flat glass so that probably has a lot to do with the cheap price.

https://www.onedayglass.com/types-of...minated-glass/

I'll be Guinea Pig and see how it turns out. I like places that use CNC to cut to my drawings, that way I only have myself to blame if it's wrong.

I had no idea places like this existed .... times are a changing with all the automated equipment these days.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We had the same issue with a snowmobile trail groomer. Found a company that would make it for less than half price, delivered.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 06-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got a quote for the original OEM part from Curtis .. $686 plus shipping ... for a freakin flat windshield about 30 x 36 .... so I'll definitely be going with the custom shop glass.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a quote from the custom glass place ... $177 including shipping. 3/16" tempered glass like the OEM unit, with all the holes drilled.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DOT regs do Not apply to off road equippment, hence the tempered glass.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, got the windshield, fit perfectly, great people to do business with.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Missed seeing this. Did you have them put nice bevels on both sides the drilled holes to avoid cracking/chipping??

Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't call them "nice" bevels, but no the holes are not straight cut only, there is some finishing on the edges, not polished but slightly radiused on the hole edges. They will basically do any level of finishing you request. All the OEM mounting hardware uses poly bushings for the holes also.
Pretty sure this place has their own tempering oven so I'm guessing all the finishing work is done prior to that.