Old 09-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tubular control arms

This winter I plan to install tubular front upper and lowere control arms. Along with installing Wilwood disc brakes on all 4 corners of my 70 GTO
I presently have front disc/ rear drums. What system did you find install friendly? There are some control arms sets being sold by Summit and eBay for less than
$300. Anyone tried them?

Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The pro touring forums seem not to favor the CPP (cheap ones at Summit) product because it’s made in China and people post up when they break them. Keep in mind most of the forum sponsors sell competitive domestic products.

I did a 4 wheel disc conversion on my 69 bird and I think it came from Right stuff. Everything installed perfectly in one afternoon.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Suspended

I installed Porterfield pads and shoes on my 69s stock disc/drum system and it stops on the dime! Major difference over what I had.. Also adjust the rear shoes manually by jacking the rear end off the ground and running the car, the wheels should spin slightly while revving in neutral with an automatic and run between 5 to 10 mph in drive at 650 rpm idle.. If you have a standard rear end you can even check side to side bias. This makes a big difference in handling..

I have SC&C Stage III with SPC .9 and .5 Howe tall ball joints. There fantastic. I'm running +6 degrees caster. Tomorrow I'm changing it to +8 caster.. I see UMI is working on control arms that will offer +10 caster..

I would look at SC&C, UMI and Detroit Speed.. Spohn is good for G bodys but I have there Del sphere adjustable rear control arms on my 69 and they are excellent..

I am using the 800 series Lee box with a 14:1 with 30 lb valve. Its a real hands on box with the best feedback I ever experienced, manual , power or rack.... I use a Grant 13" steering wheel.

Sorry but its hard to mention one part without the rest, they all work together... I only talked to Mark at SC&C and a guy at UMI I forget his name but he was very friendly and knew what he was talking about.. UMI, SC&C and Detroit Speed have a very good following of happy customers..