Old 09-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 67-68 wheel well trim

I have 7 pieces of NOS wheel well trim. The front pieces are in very good condition. I have 2 of each side for the rear and all of them have enough flaws in them that I would need to have them metal bumped and polished before using. It's not real cheap to do so. Are there any repops out there that are really well made true to the originals? Who sells them? I see many cheap ones with slots for the screws instead of holes, so I know I don't want those.

About a year ago I saw some on Ebay that the seller claimed were the best on the market and made of stainless. I looked today and couldn't find them anymore.

What say ye?

Thanks
OJ

Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Suspended

If they are "NOS" then why do they need work? Weren't they in their package? Originals are anodized aluminum. Never seen repops in stainless. Repops are repops, don't expect them to fit right.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
If they are "NOS" then why do they need work? Weren't they in their package? Originals are anodized aluminum. Never seen repops in stainless. Repops are repops, don't expect them to fit right.
I bought the NOS trim pieces that were in original GM "paper" wrappers and were probably between 25 to 35 years old when I bought them. You don't suppose they were ever moved around in that time causing the dents that are in them? Nahhhhh.... Couldn't be. We all know NOS means they are perfect... Right?

Repops are repops? True, lots of them are crap, but some of the newer repops, especially for trim pieces like "Firebird logos" and "Pontiac" lettering that are cast and plated are better than the originals....... Yes I actually "had" NOS pieces in the box of those along with some repops I bought which are much nicer. I sold the NOS pieces because they weren't that good and the repops looked better. And......... yes the original wheel well trim is anodized aluminum. All of the repops I've seen in person were also aluminum........ except for a set that I saw listed on ebay a while back. They specifically were listed as Stainless Steel and were very expensive.

Now if anyone out there has had a good experience with any repops on 67-68 Bird wheel trim regardless of what they were made of, I would like to hear from you

Thanks
OJ

Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

I bought repops from Ames back around 2010- 2012. They had two versions, one was described as 'better' than the other. Those are what I bought, and they surprisingly fit very well. I believe I used them on 2 or 3 different '68's and all fit well with (I think) no massaging.

I do not remember what brand they were. Maybe still listed in their current catalog that way?