Old 08-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know some of you have purchased the repro core support and have heard good things about it.

Question is, does anyone know if there are quality issues between the manufacturers - if there is more than one.

I am shopping for one and CarPartsDiscount.com has a more reasonable price than Ames and (sorry Chris) PY. Even after shipping costs, the price still comes under aforementioned sellers.

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 08-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know some of you have purchased the repro core support and have heard good things about it.

Question is, does anyone know if there are quality issues between the manufacturers - if there is more than one.

I am shopping for one and CarPartsDiscount.com has a more reasonable price than Ames and (sorry Chris) PY. Even after shipping costs, the price still comes under aforementioned sellers.

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 08-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On most of the repro parts there is such a limited market that there is only one manufacturer for a given part. I'd bet the core support you're looking at is this way. If the price is alot cheaper I'd say go for it, but remember the advantage of using PY or Ames is that they stand behind their product if there is a problem!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 08-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a repro core support on a 68 Lemans a couple of years ago. What a pain in the butt. The upper and lower halves were not aligned properly, it was as if they were about 1/2" offset. Made a for a very difficult job to get the radiator set in place.

In addition, they only sell this part for 1969 cars, and to use it on the 68 requires cutting off the big lip above the radiator. Not easy to do cleanly. Moreso, it was necessary to weld in several nuts. Manufacturer should have done this, as they were inside the channel, making it hard to accomplish.

It was not my car, so I was stuck, but I probably had 12 hours making this part workable, and it was still going to be a pain any time the radiator needed to come out.

In a lot less than 12 hours, I could have repaired the original.

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics!

Old 08-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Found that the manufacturer of core support offered by CarPartsDiscount.com is Dynacorn International Inc.

Dynacorn International Inc. Web site

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 08-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that's the one I had to rework...

Glenn Uettwiller http://home.earthlink.net/~birdman8/index.html

Repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics!