Old 08-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Battery Ground to Thermostat Housing?

I currently run my battery ground to a studded bolt on the thermostat housing. This is a very convenient location which is easy to get to and I get a really good ground there. Is it a bad idea to run your main ground there because of the radiator fluid or does it really matter?

Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 08-05-2020, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many times have you seen a thermostat housing removed and seen corrosion under and around it. also how often have the bolts rusted into the manifold because of fluid getting past the gasket. No this is not a good place to ground your engine.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
How many times have you seen a thermostat housing removed and seen corrosion under and around it. also how often have the bolts rusted into the manifold because of fluid getting past the gasket. No this is not a good place to ground your engine.
Thanks for the information and advice.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GM mounted their ECM ground harnesses to the TStat housings on their 4th generation Caprice/Roadmasters (91'-96'). I remember numerous performance problems with them, even affecting the charging system. Got to the point where it was one of the first things you looked at during diagnosis.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
GM mounted their ECM ground harnesses to the TStat housings on their 4th generation Caprice/Roadmasters (91'-96'). I remember numerous performance problems with them, even affecting the charging system. Got to the point where it was one of the first things you looked at during diagnosis.
Yeah, I did not think of the corrosion problems when I put it there. I have already moved it to a spare threaded hole on the front of the left head, right behind the alternator.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot