Old 08-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default How were options selected for Dealer inventory?

Random thought, but with so many cars being auction today with stories of how they were special ordered, got me to wonder how did the factory determine the built sheets on normal inventory?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Whatever they wanted to focus on selling. I have seen totally stripped cars that somehow had a tilt column. I once had a '65 LeMans, 326, Auto on the floor, P/S, P/B, Power Windows and Power Seat. My Dodge Magnum wagon was fairly loaded, including stability control and moonroof, but no fog lamps (very odd) and no leather.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the days of our cars - each dealer ordered their own cars in their own colors with whatever options they wanted. It was mostly up to the sales manager of each dealership.

The zone inventory cars stored in surplus lots across the nation were selected by the regional zone offices.
Constant market analysis and gumption from well heeled associates.

The plants just produced whatever was ordered by the dealers and the zone offices.
The majority of "well equipped" GTO's were special orders by customers.
The majority of "run of the mill" GTO's were dealer or zone ordered.

Majority meaning more than half - not all

64-66 when there were only 2 engine options , Tri-Power cars could be found on dealer lots and in zone inventories.
When engine options began increasing, along with their cost, most inventory cars were base engine. Not exclusive - but predominantly.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It still operates the same way today for the most part. Each dealer has an inventory manager who places orders with their respective manufacturer on a regular basis. They order what they think they can sell with a couple 'halo' exceptions to generate traffic and interest.

If you so choose.....you can still order a vehicle today with the exact color of options you desire. The difference is now a days you are generally only allowed to select available options where back then it was possible to select options that weren't on the RPO list. Those were the fun times.....

There is at least one 67 GTO with Verdoro Green which I don't think was an available color choice at the time but it could be special ordered apparently. Pretty cool.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of the above are correct and well stated.

I would just add a couple of points:

1). The assembly plant does not build any vehicle that is not already "sold". That means either slated for dealers stock, to a specific customer or as a General Motors company owned vehicle. Company vehicles destined for fleet, engineering or validation were specified by those internal groups.

You mentioned the build sheet specifically: the build sheet was then generated as the vehicle order was assigned to the particular final vehicle assembly plant. The engineering release in the form of the Vehicle Description Summary (aka VDS) restricts how the options can combine and then assigns the specific part numbers and or broadcast codes for the operator to install.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-30-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:46 AM
Senior Chief

Great information gentlemen, knew y'all would have the answer. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
It still operates the same way today for the most part. Each dealer has an inventory manager who places orders with their respective manufacturer on a regular basis. They order what they think they can sell with a couple 'halo' exceptions to generate traffic and interest.

If you so choose.....you can still order a vehicle today with the exact color of options you desire. The difference is now a days you are generally only allowed to select available options where back then it was possible to select options that weren't on the RPO list. Those were the fun times.....

There is at least one 67 GTO with Verdoro Green which I don't think was an available color choice at the time but it could be special ordered apparently. Pretty cool.
Actually, today, options come by way of trim levels. On most, if not all, vehicles today you cannot get options without moving up trim levels. Thank you Japanese production process.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeh, today, option groups & trim levels

I just want A/C Cruise and Tilt
okay Mr.Sir , A/C is included in our comfort package - A/C, along with d, e, f, g, h and i.
Cruise and Tilt come included with Trim Level 2, which also gets you l, m, n, o , p , q, v and x - AND the 26" scooby-doo wheels

$17k car is now at $28k

OR you can just go to Trim Level 3 and get all that plus Navigation, Hot/Cold Beverage Warmer/Coolers/Holders and 28" Kaptain-Kangaroo wheels with Helium inflation
$32k

Well, i was hoping to stay around $20k
we have some nice Used Cars in that range

Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Actually, today, options come by way of trim levels. On most, if not all, vehicles today you cannot get options without moving up trim levels. Thank you Japanese production process.
Generally speaking, you are correct. However there are some stand alone options available still. Definately not a-la-carte like it used to be.
I placed an order with Ford a few weeks ago. Model code is K3S
Option package is 301A which is the First Edition package. The other two options I have is 99U (larger battery pack) and 17P (rubber cargo and floor mats).

Overall the options list is meager compared to what I see in the PHS docs for my 68 GTO.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow FWIW...

...Not "Dealer Inventory" related but here is the 1st edition of Dealer Pricing on Options.
Thought some might get a kick out the list (And Cost)

Mike N. had stated there were two additional sets put out in 1966 that reflected available option and/or price changes.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ...

Old 08-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 3rd set

Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default last 4 pgs

Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ever see a 66 Tempest with factory bucket seats? Had to move up to the
LeMans. OK, how about a 66 LeMans with a 389 then? Didn't happen.

Trim levels might be out of control now, but the concept isn't foreign.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also today the manufacturers have 'pattern' vehicles. They will have option groups grouped together for the cheapest cost and MSRP, and the highest % of profit. It makes it easier for the dealer to order. These pattern vehicles are based on what the public is actually buying. That's why you'll see the same MSRP vehicles at different dealers.

Plus, dealers have an 'allotment' of certain desirable vehicles. If you don't have an allotment for a certain vehicle then that order gets pushed to the bottom of the pile. When I ordered cars, I didn't order it unless I had an allotment for it because it might be six months before you got it.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-31-2020, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Also today the manufacturers have 'pattern' vehicles. They will have option groups grouped together for the cheapest cost and MSRP, and the highest % of profit. It makes it easier for the dealer to order. These pattern vehicles are based on what the public is actually buying. That's why you'll see the same MSRP vehicles at different dealers.

Plus, dealers have an 'allotment' of certain desirable vehicles. If you don't have an allotment for a certain vehicle then that order gets pushed to the bottom of the pile. When I ordered cars, I didn't order it unless I had an allotment for it because it might be six months before you got it.
In hindsight, did CAFE standards play a significant part? Spoke with
a salesman that said he pushed econoboxes to justify selling "toys"

Old 09-01-2020, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say CAFE standards would affect the model mix (is, for every truck you have to sell some number of econoboxes as a fuel economy offset) but not the option content of those individual models.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post: