Old 09-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1965 GTO Gas Tank

Does a '65 Lemans/Gto have a vent for the fuel tank. Were they there from the factory? I'm smelling gas every once in awhile with mine. What should I know?

Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some pix of the '65 tank vent in this thread.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=706833

Gas is volatile. It will easily vaporize and evaporate.

Vaporized/evaporated gas is creating what you smell.

It also evaporates from the float bowl of the carbs. My '64 will fire immediately if I crank it within a day or so of driving it.

But if several days have passed, it will take a fair bit of cranking for the original mechanical fuel pump to deliver enough fuel to the carb to get the engine to fire because it has all evaporated from just sitting.

Back in the day, I don't recall that being an issue even if the car sat for an extended period. Maybe the leaded premium I used then was less prone to evaporation than ethanol gas today. Or maybe I just don't remember anymore and/or my car was never garaged back then so I never smelled it. It must have been an issue though, that is why Evaporative Emissions Systems were developed to capture these fugitive vapors.

Assuming no leaks, I'm guessing not unusual. I recall once forgetting to put the cap on my mower gas jug. Next morning, walked into the garage and clearly smelled gas.

Conceivably, you could try to retrofit an EES to capture them and eliminate or at least reduce the garage gas smell.

Evaporation rate increases with temperature. The colder the tank is, the slower the evaporation will be. That is why "winter blend" gas is formulated for increased volatility to help it vaporize in the fuel mix. If you cooled your garage to 35 degrees, that would help reduce evaporation.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:10 PM
Senior Chief

John V. Are you saying a vent or no vent has NO being on whether there would be a gas smell?

Old 09-02-2020, 12:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYBOYONE View Post
Does a '65 Lemans/Gto have a vent for the fuel tank. Were they there from the factory? I'm smelling gas every once in awhile with mine. What should I know?

Yes they were vented from the factory.

Not sure what else you want to know?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Boost Engineer

The vent "nipple" is located close to the gas cap on the fill tube.
Read other link with excellent pictures, you will see what you need for your 1965 vehicle.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So it vents into the trunk? That’s weird.

Mine is unvented, but it’s clearly been replaced sometime this century. It’s also about 14 gallons.