Old 09-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Factory sway bar sizes front and back

Does anyone have a list of factory sway bar sizes over the years?

I would like to put a rear swaybar on my tempest and the front one is really small.

I found a WS6 sway bar and another that just a little smaller not sure what from for possibly the front but don't want to ruin the nice ride quality by over doing it. At the same time I don't like feeling like I will tip over going around corners.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sway bars should have little to no effect on ride quality while driving in a straight line.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally you want the rear bar to be smaller than the front.
1 to 1 1/8" front, 7/8" rear would be fine for a cruiser Tempest.
If you want to step it up a bit using factory style parts, a 1 1/4 front and 1" rear would work also. This may require some strengthening of the front bar mounting holes

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 09-16-2020, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went from the factory front bar on my '64 to a WS6 bar and the only thing that changed was the handling - not the ride. Prior to that I had added an NOS rear bar.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be aware that there is a downside going too big on a/roll bars. Bigger AR roll bars will make the ride harsher under some conditions

If the wheels hit a depression [ or raised section ] in the road such that both wheels on that axle deflect the same amount, there is no change in ride quality. If ONE wheel hits a bump or pothole, then the AR rate gets added to the spring rate to increase ride harshness on that side.

I removed the 1.25" front AR bar on my 66 & went back to the factory 15/16" bar because the comfortable ride was more important to me than hurling around corners at great speed.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default Sway

I agree I just purchased a 67 GTO with a huge aftermarket front sway bar and after removing it the car went from riding like a truck to riding like a Cadillac. I will be installing a factory 15/16 sway bar in the near future.
KC

Old 09-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief View Post
I agree I just purchased a 67 GTO with a huge aftermarket front sway bar and after removing it the car went from riding like a truck to riding like a Cadillac. I will be installing a factory 15/16 sway bar in the near future.
KC
what brand? if they come up for sale let me know...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 09-18-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Be aware that there is a downside going too big on a/roll bars. Bigger AR roll bars will make the ride harsher under some conditions

If the wheels hit a depression [ or raised section ] in the road such that both wheels on that axle deflect the same amount, there is no change in ride quality. If ONE wheel hits a bump or pothole, then the AR rate gets added to the spring rate to increase ride harshness on that side.

I removed the 1.25" front AR bar on my 66 & went back to the factory 15/16" bar because the comfortable ride was more important to me than hurling around corners at great speed.
This is basically many roads in Iowa. And the reason for the question. As I said I like the plush ride but don't like how it corners. I certainly don't want to put the biggest bar I have on it. I was thinking a more conservative approach.

Last edited by rohrt; 09-18-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
what brand? if they come up for sale let me know...
I don`t know what brand it is but I think it was purchased from Ames.
I might be selling it with the links.
Also removed the rear sway bar.
KC

Old 09-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally measured mine last night. Look like the front is 15/16 as well. So no difference between the GTO and tempest..

What was the factory size of the rear?

Last edited by rohrt; 09-21-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Be aware that there is a downside going too big on a/roll bars. Bigger AR roll bars will make the ride harsher under some conditions.
This. Sway bar diameter absolutely has a direct impact on ride quality, since the sway bar is a heavy gauge spring which physically connects one side of the car to the other. Stiffer the bar, the more upset the suspension will become if you hit a bump on one side but not the other.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
This. Sway bar diameter absolutely has a direct impact on ride quality, since the sway bar is a heavy gauge spring which physically connects one side of the car to the other. Stiffer the bar, the more upset the suspension will become if you hit a bump on one side but not the other.
I have also found that if you change out to stiffer springs you really don't need to go crazy on a sway bar

Old 09-22-2020, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I have also found that if you change out to stiffer springs you really don't need to go crazy on a sway bar
Yep, absolutely. A byproduct of installing stiffer springs is less reliance on the sway bar to control body roll. That said, I'd never recommend installing stiffer springs if your only goal is to reduce body roll, because you'll impact ride quality at all times with stiffer springs, versus only some of the time with thicker sway bars. But you're absolutely right - if you happen to be installing stiffer springs for other reasons, you won't need to go crazy with sway bars.

Many race cars don't even have sway bars, because they sometimes handle body roll entirely with the springs. Obviously you can't get away with that on a street car, since the springs would have to be so stiff that you'd rattle your fillings out.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild