Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

Called Ames customer service today. No joy. No predictions. No idea when collars will arrive, or even if they will.

Insert sad face.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Okay, it is after July 17. Have you been able to confirm that the July 17 delivery date occurred? If not, is there a new delivery date? Failing that, and after reading some of the remarks about the quality of the product, I'd consider going another direction.

But for now, let's hope the assemblies are being put together for delivery.

Thanks,

Stuart
Sigh..... We kind of came through. They are produced and in route to us and this was done prior to the deadline. Sadly, there was a missed communication and they are arriving by boat. The new date is Mid August.

That being said, Of the couple non glowing comments about the wheels and/or the collars, if you consider that thousands have been purchased, installed and enjoyed, overall they would receive very high marks.

What we are admittedly guilty of is a very long delay in this last production run. Again I apologize. :(

Old 07-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mid August is better than nothing...i don't know where on the waiting list I am . I know i got on it around the beginning of the year.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Sigh..... We kind of came through. They are produced and in route to us and this was done prior to the deadline. Sadly, there was a missed communication and they are arriving by boat. The new date is Mid August.

That being said, Of the couple non glowing comments about the wheels and/or the collars, if you consider that thousands have been purchased, installed and enjoyed, overall they would receive very high marks.

What we are admittedly guilty of is a very long delay in this last production run. Again I apologize. :(
Thanks for the update. The CSR on the line was less well informed. I appreciate the sentiment and the apology, while not necessary, is very kind.

As to the "less than glowing reports", I'm still willing to see for myself! After all, millions of Chevy guys don't give Pontiacs very high Mark's, but hey, I do!

Stuart

Old 07-20-2020, 10:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
mid August is better than nothing...i don't know where on the waiting list I am . I know i got on it around the beginning of the year.
You are probably ahead of me, I think I got on in February, but I don't remember.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

I am very happy with the condition of the wheels when new- as I said I ordered another one. I just would not expect them to last over 6 years. New wheel is on the car now and feels great.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it will interesting to see what the measurements are. Here is one I got off a different vendor back in December and sent it back because it was damaged and it was the only one they had. Ames didn't have any at the time I think. People were complaining that when the collar was installed there was a big gap between the collar and the steering column. I never tried to install the damaged one but I did run a straight edge over the one end ,,you can see there is a slight gap where the part that will touch the column sits lower. I wonder if these new ones will be the same or with a bigger gap. The bigger the air gap will make the gap tighter between the collar and the column.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191212_172528192.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	545403  

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
There is enough to fill all backorders. So once we get them and send to Ames, they should be able to fill all backorders within a day or two I would think.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the update. The CSR on the line was less well informed. I appreciate the sentiment and the apology, while not necessary, is very kind.

As to the "less than glowing reports", I'm still willing to see for myself! After all, millions of Chevy guys don't give Pontiacs very high Mark's, but hey, I do!

Stuart
In order for the Ames CSR to have known this info, they would have had to call us 'yet again'. You can't blame them for throwing their hands up at some point. We took so long, that's kind of what happens in this industry. You get tired of giving your customer a date, then the date is missed and you have to make excuses to all those you promised a date to.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
:^(

Wish I knew this before ordering mine. Thanks for the insight.

Stuart
If you look at them cross-eyed, they bend. The originals, while fragile compared to some wheels, are FAR less malleable than the current replacements. I figure its a cheaper grade of aluminum to go with their cheaper grade of foam that doesn't last 6 years on a pampered garaged show car.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

Will this Lecarra steering wheel:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD5

work with the factory horn assembly and collar?

If so (and I think it probably is), then IF my wheel is as bad as described by 77 Canamman, then I'll replace the wheel at a later date. But I still need the collar and horn assembly, so I'll give the Ames product a whirl!

Stuart

Old 07-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
If you look at them cross-eyed, they bend. The originals, while fragile compared to some wheels, are FAR less malleable than the current replacements. I figure its a cheaper grade of aluminum to go with their cheaper grade of foam that doesn't last 6 years on a pampered garaged show car.
GM made at least 5 different styles of 'original' wheels for the 11 year period. You you'd need to have experienced and awful lot of originals to 'figure' correctly. ;)

Old 07-23-2020, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
GM made at least 5 different styles of 'original' wheels for the 11 year period. You you'd need to have experienced and awful lot of originals to 'figure' correctly. ;)
I've owned 4 Firebirds/T/A's from that period. I am aware of the differences in the wheels.

Bottom line, in my experience, the repros are inferior to OEM BY FAR.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I've owned 4 Firebirds/T/A's from that period. I am aware of the differences in the wheels.

Bottom line, in my experience, the repros are inferior to OEM BY FAR.
Your opinion is welcome here. That's why we have these forums. However, 'inferior' and 'BY FAR' are your opinions that are not shared by many nor myself who has spent the last 30 years making reproductions. Everyone has a different level of tolerance of what to expect in a reproduction. Bottom line is yours appears to be quite low. ;)

Anyway, for all reading...…. just be on guard, if you haven't noticed already, quite a few reproductions are starting to get discontinued. It's due to not being able to produce the item profitably. Profitably is a direct correlation to quantity.

I would never promote the acceptance of junk. However, it has been literally 30 years of reproductions and 30 years of some owners complaining about the difference between a reproduction and the original. It's about time to accept that most reproductions are 'different' than originals. It's not about better or worse. It's more about being 'different'. If we all can't accept that, your future choices are going to be NOS, used or nothing!

It was extremely difficult and expensive to retool this new collar and it was difficult to retool and improve the Formula wheel several times over the years. When someone gives a derogatory review of an item not knowing all that goes on behind the scenes, it causes other car owners to maybe steer clear and it causes companies like us to lose heart in our efforts to support the Pontiac hobby.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Your opinion is welcome here. That's why we have these forums. However, 'inferior' and 'BY FAR' are your opinions that are not shared by many nor myself who has spent the last 30 years making reproductions. Everyone has a different level of tolerance of what to expect in a reproduction. Bottom line is yours appears to be quite low. ;)

Anyway, for all reading...…. just be on guard, if you haven't noticed already, quite a few reproductions are starting to get discontinued. It's due to not being able to produce the item profitably. Profitably is a direct correlation to quantity.

I would never promote the acceptance of junk. However, it has been literally 30 years of reproductions and 30 years of some owners complaining about the difference between a reproduction and the original. It's about time to accept that most reproductions are 'different' than originals. It's not about better or worse. It's more about being 'different'. If we all can't accept that, your future choices are going to be NOS, used or nothing!

It was extremely difficult and expensive to retool this new collar and it was difficult to retool and improve the Formula wheel several times over the years. When someone gives a derogatory review of an item not knowing all that goes on behind the scenes, it causes other car owners to maybe steer clear and it causes companies like us to lose heart in our efforts to support the Pontiac hobby.
Again, you have a hard time taking any criticism of your products. Same goes for my glowing review of the Pypes crossflow system. Not once did I say that ALL repros are inferior or trash. I bought your wheel, and the wheel from your competitor. Both sucked in terms of durability as compared to GM. Yours was closer in appearance to original. Both hit the trash can after they bent, and a expensive mint original was purchased, which has not bent. Several hundred dollars was wasted...

Bottom line, if your product was closer to the standards of the original, there would be zero or fewer derogatory reviews of your parts. It's quite simple, really.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Will this Lecarra steering wheel:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD5

work with the factory horn assembly and collar?

If so (and I think it probably is), then IF my wheel is as bad as described by 77 Canamman, then I'll replace the wheel at a later date. But I still need the collar and horn assembly, so I'll give the Ames product a whirl!

Stuart
Im assuming it would fit. Ive got that same lecarra wheel,ames horn button and guts new awaiting the collar for my 70 gto. I did ask in the street forum months ago about doing the conversion. There were a few there that had done it and mentioned the wheels can bend without much effort. Like do not try to push the car through the window with your hand on the wheel. A stock steel wheel can handle it but youll bend a formula wheel,,stock or aftermarket. I have no experience between the rigidity between oem and aftermarket. Ill be careful with my lecarra knowing this and hopefully it will be ok.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=835268

Last edited by scott70; 07-23-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any updates on the collar arrival?

Old 08-17-2020, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Just arrived. in PA. We're inspecting, boxing and shipping to all dealers this week. It takes 2 days to get to Ames. So I imagine they will start shipping to everyone next week.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:03 AM

Are all items getting harder to get?ordered steering wheel package months a go...customer since 2011...few years ago, no issues. Is r sport dying?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's called COVID.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400