Old 09-13-2020, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baron, could be Customer Spec. But consider 2 things.

1. So far, we've identified 4 exceptions, all from a 3 week time period from 11/21 thru 12/10 and all GTOs.. With the 4 GTOs coming from 3 different Plants. Such a small sample size. If only PHS would participate in this kind of research, we might check a ton of GTOs from this time frame to see what turns up. If Customer Spec, odd that we haven't seen such exceptions across the Model Year.

2. There was no way to select the Wheel Color on the Tempest Order Form. You chose Lower Color, Upper Color (or cordova/top color), and Trim choice. To over-ride the standard Wheel Color, the order would have needed to include a Special Order written request, subject to approval/authorization. Approval of such a request would have triggered a Sales Code 592 Special Item and a Memo authorizing the change. All sorts of such Memo authorizations are identified on the PHS records. I've got examples of this for '64 Pontiac Plant and Fremont Plant records. Don't recall seeing Special Items identified on any KC or Balt docs and given the difference in decode, not sure what, if any, numeric code KC & Balt would have used to identify a Special Item build. But I think it would have been way out of the ordinary for a Pontiac or Fremont build to include a Special Item request without it being clearly outlined on the PHS record by Sales Code 592 and the Special Item shown in words on the Doc.

Mike, thanks so much for the extraordinary work you've done uncovering this and so many other details. Someday I hope to make a pilgrimage to the Museum.

I noted the Revision date, Nov. 1, 1963.

Always a shame when the revisions aren't identified.

In this case, I'm guessing at least one reason for the Nov 1 revision was to add the Lemans Hardtop. The 2237 Lemans Hardtop was not yet released at the start of production but was announced sometime in Oct IIRC, so may have been one of the reasons for the Nov 1 revision to this Chart or perhaps even the only reason.

Again, a review of all PHS records could convince us that all Wheel Colors were being installed from the start of Production on Sept 3 at all A body Assembly Plants. If only.......

Old 09-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see your point on the Memo situation in general.
Most of those were unique content though.
I see those type of memo's on some 64's.

But in this case on a wheel color, all it took was a standard letter code in a standard box for the installer to quickly/routinely pick general selection.
Line worker just grabs that color code/tire code and pops them on the chassis.
The body and chassis aren't united yet and he probably doesn't know or care what the standard color combo's are in reality. He just mounts whatever is on the sheet.

I do completely agree it would have required special notation/memo on the initial order, but not sure it would have needed any build memo to follow it down the line.
No cost involved and no non-model application for special notice.

just another 2cents is all - from outside the box