Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Default 65 GTO rear sway bar

I currently have a 7/8 inch anti sway bar on the rear of my 65 GTO, and, a 1-5/16 bar on the front. I've had this combination for some time now, and, the car handles fairly well, but, I feel it could be a little better. My question is: Would going to a 1 inch bar instead of the 7/8 inch bar improve the handling any? I don't want to change springs, suspension bushings, tire sizes or anything like that. Car has boxed control arms,so, swap would be a direct bolt in. Any opinions/comments appreciated before I spring hard earned money for a new bar. Thank You.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Going back to my autocross days. The bigger the rear bar the Looser the car got. May require you to install a quick ratio steering box LOL to keep up with it.

Car mfg always build cars to push or not turn so as to not let you get to bent out of shape.Big rear bars will make you drive it. car mfg. are better with it now due to the computer override or Stability control system. My Z06 won't let you get to crazy w/out it kicking in.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM

I'd go for the 1" rear bar to better balance out the 1-5/16" front bar.

I am going to a 1" rear bar on my '64 Tempest to complement the 1-1/4" front bar (factory 2nd-gen T/A front bar). I have a 12.7:1 quick ratio steering box on my car already.