Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 12-23-2002, 09:27 AM

Just found this site and this is info that benefits my new project. I got a 69 F-Bird with a seized up 350 w/bellh but no trans. The car is std.and I wanted to leave it, but don't know very much about problems with swap and linkage. I've done many other swaps, but always used TH400's. I already have the Olds455 w/parts so that will be my engine.What is the difference in inches of where the motors bolt up. I haven't started yet(after Christmas)so haven't taken measurements. I have a TH400, and that would be easy. I'll use HEI so need to have firewall room.Any info is appreciated. A heads up to anyone else with Olds motors in Ponts. Real Olds Power site is the best info around,motor wise,NOT MONDELLO'S and their not competition, just additional info.Thanks

69Byrd

Old 12-23-2002, 09:27 AM

Just found this site and this is info that benefits my new project. I got a 69 F-Bird with a seized up 350 w/bellh but no trans. The car is std.and I wanted to leave it, but don't know very much about problems with swap and linkage. I've done many other swaps, but always used TH400's. I already have the Olds455 w/parts so that will be my engine.What is the difference in inches of where the motors bolt up. I haven't started yet(after Christmas)so haven't taken measurements. I have a TH400, and that would be easy. I'll use HEI so need to have firewall room.Any info is appreciated. A heads up to anyone else with Olds motors in Ponts. Real Olds Power site is the best info around,motor wise,NOT MONDELLO'S and their not competition, just additional info.Thanks

69Byrd

Old 12-23-2002, 06:14 PM

you want to check the height for clearance also. i'm sure if anything will interfere with the taller olds deck in the f-body.

if you leave the man trans in the car you'll need to change the flywheel to an olds unit.

you may have problems finding mounts to work in the car for the old engine also. the f-body used a shorter mount that the rest of the line-up and the olds engine wasn't an option from the factory.

why not trade the olds for a running pontiac and make life easier?

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Mike,
Your right, a Pontiac would be easier, but I don't do these for money so I rather enjoy doing clean swaps. I'm a hands-on self taught"wrench-turner".I love to see a low budget clean swap. I now have an 85 Cutlass Olds350 W/400trans,Built an 82 cutlass w/Pontiac400 w/400trans,
73 Cutlassw/buick430 w/400trans. Its all a learning experience, I try to look at all info available.Thats why I like this board.Its a little different to pop your hood and someone says "what the #*&@" I want a std. this time.

69Byrd

Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 PM

Doesn't the Olds have the distributor in the front? That would alleviate the need for firewall clearance. Sorry, I can't help more. Not sure what the difference in placement of engine mounts on the block would be. You may be able to use Second gen Firebird Olds engine mounts and brackets.

69 Firebird, FINALLY installed the Pontiac 469.
01 Red and pewter GMC Ext Cab SIERRA SLT 4x4
02 Maple Red (maroon) LS1 Trans Am

69 Firebird, .060 over 455, UD solid roller 254/262 @ .050, Scorpion rockers, home ported 6X-4 heads, Holley 850 DP (bone stock), Holley SD intake, with Summit 3 inch x-pipe and goerlich Xlerator mufflers. 12.27 @ 115mph.

02 Midnight Blue LS1 Ram Air Trans Am WS6 (440 rwhp)

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
Old 01-06-2003, 04:49 PM

drew, you're thinking of a buick, the olds has a rear dist.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-08-2003, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Mike! Guess I was.....or amybe it was a Caddy I was thinking of, too....

69 Firebird, FINALLY installed the Pontiac 469.
01 Red and pewter GMC Ext Cab SIERRA SLT 4x4
02 Maple Red (maroon) LS1 Trans Am

69 Firebird, .060 over 455, UD solid roller 254/262 @ .050, Scorpion rockers, home ported 6X-4 heads, Holley 850 DP (bone stock), Holley SD intake, with Summit 3 inch x-pipe and goerlich Xlerator mufflers. 12.27 @ 115mph.

02 Midnight Blue LS1 Ram Air Trans Am WS6 (440 rwhp)

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
Old 01-14-2003, 02:53 PM

Your thinking of the oil filler tube in the front of the engine. That is one of the things I really like about the olds engines. You don't even need a funnel to change the oil )