Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 12-18-2002, 11:52 AM

Aside from the wiring changes and the transmission adaptation, what issues might I face in trying to put a Pontiac 400 into an 86 Camaro? Would I have to customer make frame mounts? Any recommendations?

69 Firebird, FINALLY installed the Pontiac 469.
01 Red and pewter GMC Ext Cab SIERRA SLT 4x4
02 Maple Red (maroon) LS1 Trans Am

69 Firebird, .060 over 455, UD solid roller 254/262 @ .050, Scorpion rockers, home ported 6X-4 heads, Holley 850 DP (bone stock), Holley SD intake, with Summit 3 inch x-pipe and goerlich Xlerator mufflers. 12.27 @ 115mph.

02 Midnight Blue LS1 Ram Air Trans Am WS6 (440 rwhp)

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
Old 12-18-2002, 11:52 AM

Aside from the wiring changes and the transmission adaptation, what issues might I face in trying to put a Pontiac 400 into an 86 Camaro? Would I have to customer make frame mounts? Any recommendations?

69 Firebird, FINALLY installed the Pontiac 469.
01 Red and pewter GMC Ext Cab SIERRA SLT 4x4
02 Maple Red (maroon) LS1 Trans Am

69 Firebird, .060 over 455, UD solid roller 254/262 @ .050, Scorpion rockers, home ported 6X-4 heads, Holley 850 DP (bone stock), Holley SD intake, with Summit 3 inch x-pipe and goerlich Xlerator mufflers. 12.27 @ 115mph.

02 Midnight Blue LS1 Ram Air Trans Am WS6 (440 rwhp)

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
Old 12-19-2002, 06:42 AM

there will be some serious issues with the front suspension as the 82 & up chassis won't handle the wieght without modifications.

search back in this forum as there was a discussion about a year ago where another member is doing this swap.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I really do not think that weight will be an issue. How does the weight of a pontiac engine with aluminum heads compare to a sb chevy with iron heads? I would guess there is not a big difference. You will have to make frame stands that bolt to the camaro front crossmember. I am thinking that some GTO or Firebird frame stands can be made to work just fine. Hurst make a rear crossmember for the 3rd gen F cars that will allow you to use a th350 or th400 with the torque link suspension system used on the camaro. I would use that as a guide for positioning the engine. Have your engine mounts and frame stands bolted to the engine, trans bolted up and slip it in until the Hurts trans crossmember lines up. Lower the engine and see where you need to put the frame stands. Tackweld in place, remove engine, drill crossmember and bolt in the frame stands. Sounds easy to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 12-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

That other member would be me. Getting nowhere due to work being slow. First thing will be the rear axle. 7.5 ring gear goes boom. I have heard a 8.5 ring 10 bolt should work...but put in Chevy 12 bolt or Ford 9". Can buy them ready to drop in... around $2K though. Of course will need sub frame connecters and a good cage to keep it from twisting. Contact Dick Duclow at www.chiefmanyhorses.com for the headers and I believe mounts? Still plugging for ya Dick... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Have seen BBC's in these 3rd gens so the 400 will fit. Do a search for "Wonder bar" to aid front suspension. I'm checking Denny,s for aluminum driveshaft. You are limited on tire size because the rear subrame is in the way so I went ahead and am back halving it with ladders to fit 16x32 slicks. Feel free to email me with ?s. The engine is "still" in living room though. And then there is the torque arm... You can buy a kit to fit the arm to the tranny but using the ladders is how I got around that. If you are staying with the stock size axle tubes I have a brand new set of SouthSideMachine lift bars I can part with. Came with Summit part #SSM-1316 kit.
Bob

[This message was edited by bob8748 on December 22, 2002 at 12:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by bob8748 on December 22, 2002 at 12:12 PM.]