Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-24-2002, 11:54 PM

This doesn't stick to the forum title but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm going to be getting a chevy pick up, a 1970 C10 with a 350 and 4 speed. And I had a few questions regarding changing transmissions, engine specs etc.

The guy who owns it says it's got 9:1 compression, does this mean I've got to run 92 octane?

I'm not sure what kind of tranny is in it now (I think Muncie and Saginaw are the only two available that year) but I probably will put an auto in it since this one is geared for towing and not that smooth of a drive. Should I get a Th-350 or 400? Will I have to resize the driveline in order to get it to fit, and will it bolt up without modification?

Also, I'm thinking about buying a crate motor (non performance) or rebuilding one myself, I'm basically looking for a combo that gets decent gas mileage and is reliable, since this is my only means of transportation. Any reccomendations for aftermarket engine companies or of particular engine combos would be great.

Many have tried to prove that they're faster,
But they didn't last and they died as they tried.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 09-24-2002, 11:54 PM

This doesn't stick to the forum title but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm going to be getting a chevy pick up, a 1970 C10 with a 350 and 4 speed. And I had a few questions regarding changing transmissions, engine specs etc.

The guy who owns it says it's got 9:1 compression, does this mean I've got to run 92 octane?

I'm not sure what kind of tranny is in it now (I think Muncie and Saginaw are the only two available that year) but I probably will put an auto in it since this one is geared for towing and not that smooth of a drive. Should I get a Th-350 or 400? Will I have to resize the driveline in order to get it to fit, and will it bolt up without modification?

Also, I'm thinking about buying a crate motor (non performance) or rebuilding one myself, I'm basically looking for a combo that gets decent gas mileage and is reliable, since this is my only means of transportation. Any reccomendations for aftermarket engine companies or of particular engine combos would be great.

Many have tried to prove that they're faster,
But they didn't last and they died as they tried.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 10-03-2002, 02:04 PM

is the tranny a granny gear unit or a car type? if it's a granny unit it's probably a new process [ it could be a rockwell but not likely]

either way the drive shaft will be shortened with the auto. i'd put a 400th in it if you can locate one. the frame will have mount holes for the crossmember in it for this application.

89 octane fuel should run the engine if you're just going to drive it and not pull much.

personally i'd rebuild the engine that's in the truck if it's the origional one. the "heavy casting" [ pre 77 ] small blocks are getting hard to find, at least around here.

the preformer pkg from eldebrock gets good economy and power when used with a 600cfm carb in your application.

add a set of headers and 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" duals with a good flowing mufflers and you'll be pleased with the economy.if you plan to pull a trailer or have a sliding rear window turn the tailpipes out the side.

if you're looking for economy check the rear end ratio as a lot of the early trucks came with 3:73 or lower gear ratios. 4:10's aren't uncommon and 4:56 were a special order that turn up more than you'd think.

if the truck is a coil spring rear be sure to check the trailing arms for rust damage. they seem to be the first thing to go and it's getting tough to find good ones.

hope this helps, mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-19-2002, 07:25 AM

If you want good gas mileage put in a 700R4 4 speed auto. I did this in my 67 firebird, And it's great. go to this sight.

http://www.700r4.com/