THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Stereo

Being at home a lot, I'm listening to way more music. It's really helping me through these difficult times. I'm thinking that, when this big downer of a period is over with, I'm definitely doing something for a sound system in the Tempest. I haven't even looked at car stereos lately and i guess that I could google. But of course the best search results are always on this forum.

I'm looking at it in 4 levels. The first being the current stock AM radio and speaker. Both of which work perfectly, by the way. Impresssive.
Second is Installing two speakers:. One in the front and one in the back. Both in the factory locations. They are effectively stereo because they both have dual voice coils for left and right channels. A factory appearing or upgraded self contained stereo unit in the factory location that will play my iphone.
Third is the classic 6"x9" speakers on the parcel tray, with speakers in the door panels or kick panels. An upgraded unit in the factory location, possibly with a separate amp.
Fourth is a real modern system, with a head unit, amps and a sub.

I'm leaning toward the third option. The best amateur option and the best bang for buck. But I see two problems: I don't want to cut the door panels for speakers and I've heard that the kick panel speakers interfere with the parking brake pedal. So the 6x9's in the back and the dual voicecoil speaker in the front factory location. What do you think? Also, who has cut the rear parcel deck for the speakers? .I'm curious as to how you did it
Thx

Old 04-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a current discussion in the Street section on this topic you may want to check out.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=838046

Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed a Custom Auto Sound 740 radio in my 1967 GTO. It fits in the stock radio holes, has Bluetooth, USB connection, 300 watts (if I remember correctly) and it has lots of features. I used the original knobs instead of the ones they gave me so it looks close to original. I installed 2 6x9's in the package shelf and 2 3" rounds under the dash. Looks and sounds good and not a lot of money.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went to wireless rechargeable Bluetooth speakers. For $300 you get a speaker that sounds as good as the two 6x9’s and you don’t have to cut into the dash or any wires.

I bought the expensive factory looking radio for my 70 GTO- lasted two years. I bought the expensive factory looking radio for my Grand National and it lasted just over a year.

Buy the Bluetooth speaker and sign up for satellite radio you can play from your phone- easy, simple and enjoyable!