Old 10-20-2005, 02:32 PM

Default 69 Gp Values

First let me say that I have always been a GTO and TA owner, so I am oblivious to to worth of the GP's. But after driving in one when I was on vacation in Wisconsin I was impressed.

I have located one locally that the owner is getting divorced and needs to sell disassembled.
It has fresh base coat clear coat blue mirror finish (painted last year but garaged since) and pictures showing that it was a rust free car to start with. The motor trans and interior are out of the car but are included. He was in the middle of installing a 455 4 speed set-up in the car (included). He removed a 69 coded 400 / auto that are not numbers matching that are also included. The 4 speed stuff came from another 69 he parted years back. It has a 12 bolt posi rear with c clip eliminators installed. The interior has cloth inserts and are decent except the drivers seat. Headliner has a hole in it and need replaced. Its an AC car. Not sure if it is a j or sj or what the original engine was.

He is he hawing for an offer but still won’t give me a definitive price. I want to be fair but I also do not want sink 100 plus hours of labor and additional money to complete and be way over the top value wise.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Troy

Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally like the 69-70 GPs. I've owned and driven a 70 455 Model J, a black 69 428HO 4-spd GP, and a green 69 428HO automatic car over the years.

Beyond the 4-spd cars and the 428/455 cars, I don't think there is a lot of interest in the GP. I have a 69 body with a pretty decent rear clip I'm trying to sell for $600, but there's been little interest.

I've found quite a few GPs with posi rears, usually 2.92, 3.08, or 3.23 gears. The 70 455 cars came with 3.07 12-bolts, and 3.31 posis if equipped with a posi. The GP shares a lot of parts with the A-body which can be sold if you strip out a GP. The power disc brake setups will fit right onto a GTO.

Most come with tilt columns and bucket seat can be used in a GTO if you change the cover.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 PM

I would pay the $45 to PHS and have them run the VIN. That way you'll know what the car originally was. That could add 10-15% over a base Model J 400 if the car was an original 428 HO. If it's an original SJ (which all came with the 370 HP 428), it would be worth maybe a 5-10% premium. If it was still numbers-matching, those numbers would be much higher. The point is, if it's a rare car without the original engine, you won't get much more money, but it will be much easier to sell.

When finished, it should be worth somewhere in the $6000-10,000 range. If it's really a knock-out (and the 455 4-sp will help, even though it's been converted), you could get $10-12K for it, but plan on aggressively advertising it for about a year. I know of an original HO car that's been for sale in Texas for $12,500 for over a year, now. It's Gold on Gold. Last year, a Triple Black HO with Leather interior sold for $13K in 2 days. (Cheezed me off, 'cuz I wanted it!) Everybody wants black.

To put things in perspective, a 4-speed conversion kit just sold on eBay. It was complete, minus the trans, and even included the tunnel and firewall sections that were torched out of a wrecked donor car. It went for $1200. Just the unique console plate usuallty goes for a couple hundred bucks. That indicates how desirable 4-sp GP's are.

The cloth interior is the least desirable of the 3 available. Leather gets a premium.

I know of a bunch of '69 GP Model J 400's, some of them look like really nice cars, for $6K-15K that have been for sale for months and months. These aren't great cars to flip fast for a buck.

The bottom line is, you could sell a GTO for decent money in a couple weeks, especially in the spring. You'll never move a GP that quick, unless it's the Holy Grail of GP's, and was owned by DeLorean himself.

Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys for the insight, now I just have to do some math for any noted shortages and make him an offer. I guess we will so find out.

Troy

Old 10-23-2005, 06:46 PM

Talking 4-Speed?

I can attest...a 4-speed '69 GP is a blast to drive and a real head-turner. Head scratcher may be more like it..when they hear you grab a gear in that big land yacht. Comfort galore!