Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr
Default Formula steering wheel, color?

I wonder what was the color(s) of the Formula steering wheel for 75? was it full black or aluminum spoke?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The wheel in my 76TA has black spokes(anodized) with black padding. I've seen gold spokes with black padding on SE TA's.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr

ok, and what about aluminium spoke? was it aviable or was it black spoke brush with sandpaper?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I personaly have never seen an aluminum spoked wheel from the factory. They all had a black brushed finish. Hopfully someone else will jump in and can help you out.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Suspended

so only black for all formula steering wheel since 70 to 75. after i know some have gold spoke for SE.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would say Yes. All black. 70 to 79 as far as I know.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:06 AM
Suspended

ok, thanks

Old 08-10-2005, 11:56 AM

I had a 75 trans am back in 1982 that had aluminum finish spokes on the steering wheel. And the 75 I have now does not have black spokes but they don't look aluminum either. I don't recall exactly what it looks like because the car has been at the body shop for quite some time.
Dave F

Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Suspended

interesting the question is started again , but now we have to know why there was alu spoke?

Old 09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to get here a little late, but I know I can be of help;

The formulas wheels (other than thickness of padding) were only available in one type throught to 1975: black
- if your car has its original wheel it would be black.

The spokes in the formula wheels were aluminum till some time in 1978 or 1979 (1979 model year) when the spokes were changed to steel. At the time of the center section composition change the painted finish was also changed.
For aluminum center wheels, they had a black annodized finish that depending on how much sun it recieved could vary in darkness (I often notice the rear to be significantly darker than the front)
For steel center wheels, the finish was more akin to a black "crinkle" finish.

The first year/ model to offer an alternate fromula wheel was the '76-50th ann. T/A; The 50th an car received a black formula wheel with a gold tinted aluminum center.
To the best of my knowledge all 1977-78 SE T/A's recieved the same wheels as the 50th ann T/A.
1977 was the first year to offer an alternate coloured wheel, this was the Skybird package - they recieved light blue formula wheels.
To the best of my knowledge, the only alternate colour formula wheels used in 1978 were installed in either Skybirds(blue), the Redbirds (red w/gold center), or Y88 T/A's (tan wheel w/ gold center).
I believe that 1979 was the first year to offer colour matching formula wheels in any car.

I believe that the colours offered between 1977 and 1981 were:
-light blue
-dark blue
-red
-tan
-black

When the steel formula wheels were phased in they even replaced wheels that would previously come with a gold center section (I have heard of 1979 SE T/A's that came with either gold or black centered wheels).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 09-16-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I almost forgot;

alot of the confusion seems to stem from when a car received a replacement (be it new from GM, or used) wheel.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Suspended

ok, so since 70 to 75, they were only aviable in black. as i'm looking for put back a formula wheel (which was original equipement in my car) now i know what color it must be.

thanks all.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm confused! Were the spokes ever not black or gold? My 76 had a natural metal finish (silver) and I've seen several low mileage cars that were the same. Of course the black could have worn off/faded over the years.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA76
I'm confused! Were the spokes ever not black or gold? My 76 had a natural metal finish (silver) and I've seen several low mileage cars that were the same. Of course the black could have worn off/faded over the years.
I'm quotintg myself to show where I've mentioned this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny
For aluminum center wheels, they had a black annodized finish that depending on how much sun it recieved could vary in darkness (I often notice the rear to be significantly darker than the front)
Often if you look at the rear of a Formula wheel that appears to have a silver center section, you will notice one of two things:
1) evidence that some one 'modified' the center section to remove the dark finish.
2) the rear of the Formula wheel's center section will still have the black finish (often the darkest area will be where the center section bolted to the collar, as this area was not subjected to sun fading or wear from some one handling it).

Hope this helps.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Suspended

i just bought one an Ebay. the spokes are silver, but the rear center is black, like it should be.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:46 PM

OK, I looked at my original and sure enough it was black under the horn button. Guess that answers that.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Senior Chief

I just picked up for re-sale a silver formula wheel that has natural brushed aluminum spokes. No indication of black anywhere. The cars interior was silver also. The wheel needs re]padding but is in good shape otherwise. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

I think this wheel is a 10th anniversary model !! Can the leather wrap be redone on these ??

Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

My 1976 has black spokes the cars has 24000 and has been in family since new so I know it was never changed

Old 12-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm with Rocky. I ordered my 76 TA new. Black spokes on mine.