Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr
Default oil cooling or not?

how many of you run engine oil cooler for their engine?

i have an oil cooler on my formula75 since long time (a previous owner add it). i drive all the time and all the weather winter/summer. i'm thinking about 2 things.
first remove the cooler line and go back to stock configuration, without any engine oil cooler.
second, add a thermostat to my actuel set up.

the real question is, do i really need one? engine is mostly sotck at this time, 2.56 gear...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr

i forgot to tell i have a 350 in.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless your driving in the Sahara desert or your engine has a overheating issue. There should be no need for a oil cooler on a stock Pontiac 350. If car has an overheating issue, then i would start with looking at the cooling system. The oil cooler would be a bandage to the real issue.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a fair amount of experience using an oil cooler. Here in the desert southwest the more heat you can remove from your motor, the better off you are. Usually. I added the 'usually' because your oil absolutely must reach a minimum of 220 degrees. At this temp the oil is still considered 'cool' but its hot enough to burn out the moisture that condenses inside the crankcase from the normal heat cycling the engine experiecnes during daily use.

If your oil does not get hot enough to vaporize this moisture, over time bad things will happen. And it is VERY easy to overcool your oil in a car that only sees normal daily use. So, if youre going to keep the oil cooler, I would add the thermostat, AND I would install an underhood temp guage so a periodic check verifies that the oil is indeed reaching that minimum 220 degree mark.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Suspended

oil thermostats start open at 160° but ar not totaly close when cold. full open at 180°. it's far from 220°. i have no heat problem since i change water rad for a aluminium one and 180° engine thermostat.

so i think oil will never be over the temp of the engine. maybe +20° but no more. i don't live in a hot country.

is oil temp range really 220?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bunch of fellows from the old country told me that the oil in the motor, standard trans and diffs gets hot enough to boil any condensation or water in it.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had oil coolers on two of my 67's, and both are now sitting on the shelf in the garage. Oil stayed too cool, and between that big engine oil cooler and two transmission coolers in front of the radiator, the water temp stayed warm. Now the oil gets up to temperature and the water temp stays lower because of better air flow through the radiator.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Suspended

what about using a thermostat?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulafr View Post
what about using a thermostat?
Yes, use a thermostat. Your climate is close to the same as what we have here, a 180 - 185* thermostat should be good.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Suspended

well, all the oil thermostat i've found at summit are 160-180 range. start open at 160, fully open at 180.

i'm thinking about Earl's Performance 503ERL

Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oops, my bad. For some reason I thought you meant a coolant thermostat. Sorry.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Suspended

i have already change my water thermostat from 195 to 180. no over heating issue