Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr
Default th200-r4 and flexplate

hello,

i'm planning to swap my th350 for a th200r4. i wonder if the stock flexplate (350ci pontiac) will accept the new torque converter or not?

if no, what should i install instead?

i know i have to change the tranny crossmember too (for a th400 one) and keep my actual driveshaft.

thanks for help.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes if the six hole style. You may have to enlarge the holes just a little bit. The converter bolts on the 200R are metric as are the trans mount. You might want to locate those before the install.
I don't believe you have to use a different cross member.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I put mine in my 68FB I think I used reg bolts to put the trans. mount to the trans. and yes you will need the cross member for the 400 trans. but if I had to do over again I would get the aftermarket crossmember I think shiftworks makes it the crossmember is made in a small ark or semi-circle because the reg. 400 mount I had to cut some out because of the oil pan on the trans. so it won't rub-----but i'm sure some one will respond and tell you where you can get the aftermarket crossmember------BOB

Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to use metric bolts for the converter and trans mount-to-trans. Ditto on the flex plate advice.

Just curious, What is your 200-4R out of? What converter are you running?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The one I used behind the 75 400 I put in my 85 Grand Prix bolted right up to the stock flexplate. Yes you do have to use metric bolts to bolt the torque converter and the trans mount. It also takes the same yoke at the front of the driveshaft as the Turbo 350. I didn't have to modify the driveshaft when I had to swap in a Turbo 350. So that may help simplify things for you.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

prett5y simple swap, metric converter bolts, and mounts, that's it. did it in a 68 fb used a 400 crossmember (had to move the tran mount, crappy repo) flex plate, drive shaft, etc, all mated up. just make sure you have the tv cable set up correctly, it's not a simple "kickdown". summit has a cheap bracket for the correct geometry,

Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to Formulafr Send a message via AIM to Formulafr Send a message via Yahoo to Formulafr Send a message via Skype™ to Formulafr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Just curious, What is your 200-4R out of? What converter are you running?
metric bolt are not a problem

i don't have the 200-4r at the moment, i'm going to pick it up next week end. it is coming from a 1988 firebird v6, 2.8l.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yikes! I'm not a "Turd" Generation Firebird guy but I was under the impression that would have a small bellhousing 700-R4? Does it have a removable tailshaft? If so, its a 700. 200-4R is a one piece casting from front to back, and the trans pan is very large running most of the case length.

Regardless, a trans for a 2.8 is not going to be up to snuff for even a stocker V-8 Pontiac.

The only 200-4R third gen I am aware of is the 89 TTA.

Proceed with caution.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Suspended

from what i've seen and read on the web, all 200-4r are the same. i agree they are first equipement on V6 and small V8 (301-305...).

of course i will redone it before install it.
i can't procced with caution, i buy it or not.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My point was to make certain you are getting a 200-4R because I am 99% sure the 88 v6 firebird had some anemic version of the 700-R4 that had a smaller bellhousing than the STD. 700-R4. Happens alot because alot of folks don't know the difference.

Btw that chart is wrong. It has a throttle valve cable and not a kickdown cable. Another common mistake.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Suspended

i will check the pan style and number of bolt to be sure

1 Aluminum Powerglide 14 bolts
2 TH200 Metric 11 bolts
3 TH350 13 bolts
4 TH400 13 bolts
5 TH200-4R 16 bolts
6 TH700-R4, 4L60, 4L60E 16 bolts
7 4L80E 17 bolts

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula Phil knows his stuff when it comes to the 200-4R. He was a great help for me when I was setting mine up. Whatever help you may need when you finally get yours set up and ready to go in get in touch with him. Phil can walk you through it and help you prevent mistakes that could cost you a freshly rebuilt trans.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Suspended

understood

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a link to a Camaro forum discussion showing the modifications needed to be made to the TH400 crossmemeber in order to fit the 200r4 transmsission. Keep in mind that this is for an early f-body (67-69) but you get the point. Frank.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=crossmember

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2.8 in the later Camaro's and FB's used the 4L60 from what I can remember, and yes it has a smaller bolt pattern, and will not fit the larger V-8 engines.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Suspended

i know for the 4L60 (or th700). that's why i want a 200-4r. i'm waiting for pics from the seller to be sure.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Suspended

well, it was too good to be true.... like some sayed and like i was thinking at first, the guy doesn't know what he sell. it's a 700.

now i have to find an other one which is very hard.

anyway, thanks for help.