Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolkate
CDN2PLS2,
Is your antenna in the same location as the one in the photo (in my post)?
I also have power antenna, AM/FM w/reverb, my antenna location looks a little further back (closer to the bumper) on the 1/4 panel than yours. The 'Verts might be located differently...

I attached a pic...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dadscar2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	76156  

Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine looks further back too.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 PM

Same Here.Maybe What Mike Said 'Verts might be located differently..."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	76235  

Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric
The info I am distributing came from an inter-organization letter originating within Pontiac Car Distribution. Subject: Factory Installed Options and Accessories. Date: August 13, 1970. Unfortunately, 1969 options that were not available in 1970 (like retractable headlight covers) were not included in this listing. 1969 option build rates were included in this 1970 review for comparison purposes.

The five highest installs for PMD A-bodies in '69 on this listing were:
D55- Console (3727-37-67-4200) 84.5%
N40 - Power Steering 88.9%
U63- P/B AM radio 89.7%
White Side Wall Tires 79.3%
P01- Deluxe Wheel Disc 62.6%
This is interesting stuff. Any chance you could post the breakdown percentage for all the 69 options, not just the most rare and most common?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SAYYYY, anybody ever see a 1969 GTO with the Valance Grills option ????

Sure 1969 GTO had them : why again?
Sure 1970 was designed to have them : did they?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkx807
Didn't a few 68s have side marker lights? Another rare option is the 2-barrel option...Paul
I have one of these GTO's. Mine is a convertable with red with black interior. It's a 400 with 265hp and 256 gears and the tranny is a turbo 400.I have all the original matching number parts since it was given to me by my dad before he past away. He owned the car since 1971. The car only has 32,000 original miles but it sat sat in my parents yard since the late 70's. I'm in the middle of doing a complete frame off restoation on it now.

1968 GTO Convertable
2bbl 265hp
Old 05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have to say the rarest options are the ones that are hardest to find and have not been reproduced or that are the most costly to reproduce or that nobody wanted. We all wanted the most options we could at the lowest cost.

It ia neat that the options that are most desiriable today were not that common back 40 years ago. How many cars had vinyl tops that don't today.

Most every car today has AC and automatic but what is more desirable in a muscle car is non AC - 4 speed.

In the 80's most want the cars with the most options they could find now some of the "most desirable are the ones with the fewest options".

Most GTO's were drab colors, Mayfair maze, Verdo Green, lime light green, Gold, Midnight green, expresso brown, today the hot colors are liberty blue, orange, yellow, red.

Top on my list is:
Radio Delete, Heater Delete, Power vents, Special Paint code

We have all hear it 1000 times rare does not mean desirable but no 2 cars are the same and the options made it that way - not like today.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always Love Special Paint Cars, how many more are you gonna see just like yours??

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rare options:

How about an instant air pump for a ram air car? I guess the ram air manifolds weren't equipped to handle these but one of my 69 ram air cars had it on the invoice. Weird eh?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN2PLS2
Always Love Special Paint Cars, how many more are you gonna see just like yours??
Had a 64 Bonne vert that was a SP color code car. It was a dark brown with a green hue to it. I found out later it was a Cadilac color

Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty
How about an instant air pump for a ram air car? I guess the ram air manifolds weren't equipped to handle these but one of my 69 ram air cars had it on the invoice. Weird eh?
sorry not for sale

Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymusclecar

Most GTO's were drab colors, Mayfair maze, Verdo Green, lime light green, Gold, Midnight green, expresso brown, today the hot colors are liberty blue, orange, yellow, red.
I would venture to suggest that Liberty Blue and whatever red they were using were as popular as some of the greens and golds and more popular than Expresso Brown.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn't it great how personal you could make these cars back then? It was almost like you could make a car, like nobody elses in town. The order sheets were very long, & really put a custom touch to what identified GM cars of the era.

Now days, ordering a new car is like ordering a Happy Meal from Mcdonalds. Pick your flavor & they will surprise you with some sort of useless toy......

68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Anymore, a person hardly has the option to "order one" from the factory. I'll bet back in the day, it was really cool to fill out the sheet to YOUR car, order it, and wait until it rolled in on the truck just for you. Now, you walk into a dealership, get little to no choice at all, and if they don't have it, they locate one that has already been built. No feeling that the car is being "custom tailored" to you, but rather settling for one that is close to what you want and they'll rebate/discount it to the point where you'll call it your own.
Sad that the automobile has lost that "personal" feel to it anymore, but that's just my opinion.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have never seen a gto with power vent windows (dont know if it was even available on gtos). i have a 68 bonneville with them. everybody says what a rare option it is.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never available on the GTO's, only full size.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop
Wasn't it great how personal you could make these cars back then? It was almost like you could make a car, like nobody elses in town. The order sheets were very long, & really put a custom touch to what identified GM cars of the era.

Now days, ordering a new car is like ordering a Happy Meal from Mcdonalds. Pick your flavor & they will surprise you with some sort of useless toy......

68RT
Yes, ordering a car for the past 25 plus years is a bore, no more building the way you want. I know Porsche, to this day will paint a car any color you want and interior too of course for a very large fee but still factory done. Land Rover outside the USA will also paint and do an interior in pretty much any color you want as well on the Range Rover also for a large fee. Still kinda cool though a handful of companies, mostly European will do unique combos for a customer. Too bad none of the Americans do it anymore.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember adds for the first Camaro, selling point was the number of options, custom build your own car was the pitch. Most people even back then just took them as they came though.

When looking through PHS's every now and then you see one where you know the guy was on the ball: 69 for example, Hideaways, tinted glass all around, power antenna, no Cordova top, RII's, 4spd, Safe-T-Track, dash tach and gauges. a looker

My 66 GTO I sold a few years back was like that on the PHS: Charcoal blue hardtop over blue interior with no Cordova top, Tri-Power, 4spd, 3.90 Posi, aluminum manual drums, fast ratio manual steering, gauges and tach, no console, in other words all go but nice looking too with power antenna, RI's, all windows tinted, woodwheel, deluxe belts, lamp group. He knew exactly what he wanted when he went down that list in 66!

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Anyone seen a low fuel indicator on a 68 GTO?

I have one that was not discussed. My 68 GTO convertible was ordered as a 400 2bbl motor but the real rare option is that the dash has both the speed warning spedo and a low fuel indicator. I hadd not heard of or ever seen one before on a '68. Unfortunately the car is in the process of a full restoration and is not on the road for at least the next year. Still collecting parts for it. I actually found it on this forum in late '05.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGoat_Ben View Post
Anymore, a person hardly has the option to "order one" from the factory. I'll bet back in the day, it was really cool to fill out the sheet to YOUR car, order it, and wait until it rolled in on the truck just for you. Now, you walk into a dealership, get little to no choice at all, and if they don't have it, they locate one that has already been built. No feeling that the car is being "custom tailored" to you, but rather settling for one that is close to what you want and they'll rebate/discount it to the point where you'll call it your own.
Sad that the automobile has lost that "personal" feel to it anymore, but that's just my opinion.
I'll have to disagree on this one. I ordered my F-150, configured the way I wanted. I had to wait 5-6 weeks for it. It showed up, on time I might add, exactly the way I wanted and I did not have to pay anything extra for my "personalized" truck. $150 buck over invoice, IIRC.

But I will say, I had a few dealers that tried to convince to buy one they had because ordering one would take about 6 months. Total BS, I know, but they don't call them Lot Lizards for nothing.

On the other hand, when we bought my wife's Acura, we got one right off the lot. Other than the color combos, there were only about 2 options that year (the nav system and the Type-S option). They built them all loaded.