Old 11-15-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a find then for sure. I'd love to have it.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Personally I wouldn't buy it as a "survivor" without the original engine and trans, cause then it's just another old GTO that's been wrenched on by someone that probably doesn't know what they are doing.

But ... if I really wanted it ... I'd want to pay $20,000 instead of $25,000 if it was non-original. I always keep in mind that while it's not a "rare" car ... an unrestored GTO with the original engine still intact is a hard car to find in todays market. With the supply of GTO picked as clean as it has been, unrestored original cars with original engines are very few and far between regardless of their production numbers. Big difference to me between a GTO that has the engine blown up, or worn out, swapped, and a car that still has all the "as delivered" equipment in it.

A car like this one, really only has one thing going for it to command a premium price ... originality, no rare options, no low productions numbers. There is ONE thing that makes this car a potentially great find .... originality, if it doesn't have that, well .... what does it have?
Excellent statement and very true. True original cars are very hard to find now that they've reached the half century old level. However, there are many cars out there that are fakes with restamped numbers, switched cowl tags, etc. Look at how many people today claim they have survivor cars and then you look at them at a show and see things not quite right. Most here would love to have an original RAIV Judge or GTO but because the true remaining examples pull 6 figures now, these people will make one. Seems there are Judges everywhere today and when I bought my first one back in 1973, you hardly saw one on the road.

It seems the term original has a different meaning to many owners. You're correct, a car to me would have to have its born with drivetrain to be called original. If this car is what the owner claims it is, then yes it would command a decent price. Most of these cars lost their originality decades ago when the original motors blew up on strip and street races. The original GTO's have been scavenged by collectors over the years but Chinese parts have allowed people in the hobby to build what they want. Nothing wrong with this but don't call the car a survivor or an original like as so many do.

If you find a true original car in decent shape, like this one maybe, grab it because it a rare find indeed!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a guy who loves untouched cars this one is right up my alley but something to consider from a financial point of view is if a car like this ends up getting repainted and detailed in the engine bay etc it loses that true survivor appeal (even though it is still a really nice unmolested car when done) and now the value equation gets a bit iffy especially since it is not optioned in a way that is appealing to most buyers. In it's current condition it reminds me a lot of my 69 2+2 (Canadian model) in that there is just enough rust that it needs a repaint.

Anyhow this GTO is really sweet and hopefully the buyer will do the absolute minimum to retain as much as possible of the virginity of the car. Hope it gets the right buyer! (it won't be me by the way, too many cars already!)

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 11-15-2021, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is a tough one you cannot leave this car as it is with the rust shown in the photos. And we know What Lies Beneath the paint and beneath the window moldings. So buy it and drive it and let it deteriorate more or spend a ton of money on it and restore it to a point that you'll never get your money back and you'll have a bench seat t t l with air conditioning

Old 11-15-2021, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
What's a the car sells for 25,000 with the original engine and transmission. How much would you deduct if it did not have the original engine?
For me, this particular car? I'd say about five grand. That's assuming that we're talking about a replacement engine that is the same as the original. Of course, if the replacement engine is a RAIV or something, that's a different story!

Old 11-15-2021, 11:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
This is a tough one you cannot leave this car as it is with the rust shown in the photos. And we know What Lies Beneath the paint and beneath the window moldings. So buy it and drive it and let it deteriorate more or spend a ton of money on it and restore it to a point that you'll never get your money back and you'll have a bench seat t t l with air conditioning
This is what I was thinking also....I am surprised that some are getting this excited about this car with some of the rust that can be seen. There were 2 different Crystal Turquoise cars that sold on this site over the past year that were much better than this one, although not necessarily survivor cars.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Virginity has been a crowd pleaser since the dawn of time.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure I could handle the pressure of owning a car like that .... fix it? Drive it? Store in climate control? Paint it, not paint it?

It may be that a lot of us find a car like that exciting because we remember when we bought a car like that decades ago.

It's kind of like buying a really ripe piece of fruit ... you gotta do something ... soon, either eat it or freeze it

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this car had a four-speed, it would be worth restoring. With a bench seat and a column shift trans, I would get the AC working , add rally II's and drive it.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Ram Air View Post
If this car had a four-speed, it would be worth restoring. With a bench seat and a column shift trans, I would get the AC working , add rally II's and drive it.
I agree, but I would skip the Rally II's and swap on some PMD Dog Dish's.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When did we get to the point where there are only three levels of car... Pristine survivor, nut and bolt, frame-off perfect restoration.. or absolute junk?...lol
I'd fix the rust spots, prime the areas and drive it. If l felt like doing more later, l would but l wouldn't feel obligated to make it someone else's definition of a 'worthy' car.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
When did we get to the point where there are only three levels of car... Pristine survivor, nut and bolt, frame-off perfect restoration.. or absolute junk?...lol
I'd fix the rust spots, prime the areas and drive it. If l felt like doing more later, l would but l wouldn't feel obligated to make it someone else's definition of a 'worthy' car.
With all due respect, it doesn't work like that.
This car has 107K miles and has been sitting for ages. You won't "just drive it". The front end is loose. The brakes suck. The alternator is junk. The qjet has a huge vacuum leak. The drivers door hinges are porked. The exhaust rattles and leaks. The heater core leaks and the fan works half the time.....ETC ETC ETC. Those of us that grew up with these cars know.. we've got to be real.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sidponcho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well yeah, mechanical stuff has to be taken care of naturally...THEN just drive it. I am mainly commenting on the fact that so many people think that every car has to be restored or a perfect time capsule if worthy and unrestored.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a survivor that you can buy and drive - for just a little bit more money.

My 1970 GTO is officially for sale. It’s an unrestored, unmolested, solid, numbers matching, original car with 79,000 miles and in amazing overall condition. I hate to sell it, but I found another car that I must have.
Details: 1970 GTO (Always a FL car)
79,000 original miles
Protect-o Plate and Dealer Paperwork
Original Palisade Green Paint (Less than 2500 painted this color)
Original Green Vinyl Top, no rips or tears
Original Green Interior, dash is perfect with no cracks, and interior is in great shape
Numbers matching 400ci
Numbers matching TH400
Numbers matching 3.23 rear end
AC, PDB, PS, Console, Rally 2’s, AM radio, door edge guards, wheel well moldings, PHS Documented, and more
For those who appreciate a true time capsule it’s an amazing specimen that does not warrant a restoration, in fact if you are wanting a great start for a restoration, in my opinion, this is not the car to do it to. As they say, it’s only original once.
Price is $62,500, message me for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	578002  

Old 11-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little bit more money? 40k more at this point.

Personally, I would take a blue 69 driver over a green 70 survivor.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like 'em both for what they are. That 70 is beautiful and l'd be proud to own it. What l like about cars like the '69 is l can park it at the Home Depot without sweating bullets. Just like we did back in the 70s and 80s.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It finished up at $21,083. That's a a fair price if it was all-matching, as it was advertised.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Ram Air View Post
It finished up at $21,083. That's a a fair price if it was all-matching, as it was advertised.
The sell price is very much indicative of what some have said. The car has some rot (likely worse than what appears).

Old 11-19-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A good price indeed.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Here is a survivor that you can buy and drive - for just a little bit more money.

My 1970 GTO is officially for sale. It’s an unrestored, unmolested, solid, numbers matching, original car with 79,000 miles and in amazing overall condition. I hate to sell it, but I found another car that I must have.
Details: 1970 GTO (Always a FL car)
79,000 original miles
Protect-o Plate and Dealer Paperwork
Original Palisade Green Paint (Less than 2500 painted this color)
Original Green Vinyl Top, no rips or tears
Original Green Interior, dash is perfect with no cracks, and interior is in great shape
Numbers matching 400ci
Numbers matching TH400
Numbers matching 3.23 rear end
AC, PDB, PS, Console, Rally 2’s, AM radio, door edge guards, wheel well moldings, PHS Documented, and more
For those who appreciate a true time capsule it’s an amazing specimen that does not warrant a restoration, in fact if you are wanting a great start for a restoration, in my opinion, this is not the car to do it to. As they say, it’s only original once.
Price is $62,500, message me for more details.
Great photo of a pretty car. The shadows really bring out the lines.