Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Required reading for 61-63 owners!!

Reference books EVERY 61-63 owner should have in their library.

1, Everyone should have the factory shop manual. Some years had a couple different versions. Make sure you get the "Final edition" for your year. Preferrably you should have one from all 3 years.

2, Factory parts manual is a must also.

3, Next should be the factory Pontiac & Tempest heating, ventilating & A/C manual.

4, Followed by the Pontiac & Tempest body shop manual.

5, Then start aquiring the smaller books for your year/model. Owner protection plan, Owners guide, Accessories booklet, Specifications manual & also a flat rate manual. Not a lot of important info in them but nice to have.

6, Then, look for the old "Pontiac Craftsman" service news letters that came out every month or so. Lots of updated info in them that are not in the factory shop manual.

7, If you can find them, get the SAE books "Pontiac's new 4 cylinder Tempest engine" by Mac McKeller, Book number 307E. & also "The Pontiac Tempest, A car Without A Counterpart" by John Z. DeLorean. book number S-263. Lots of great info about our rope shaft cars & what all went into them from an engineering stand point

8, Next I am listing several books that may be pretty hard to find. These are early publications that have a lot of production info, pictures, stats, etc, etc.

8a, Special Interest Autos, edition SIA #48, Dec 1978, very long in depth story with lots of early pics & info.

8b, Consumer Guide Magazines "Super Performance Pontiac" dated Ayg 1983. 61-63 Tempest LeMans story with some interesting pics. There is a pic of the elusive 1961 LeMans in this book. It was put together just for an auto show & went into production for the 62 model year.

8c, Pontiac Tempest & GTO by Brookland books. Cant find a date of printing. this book has 67 pages dedicated to just the 61-63 cars. It is a compilation of all of the car magazines story's in one book. Covers reports from Motor Trend, Autocar, Road & Track, Motor Life, Sports Cars Illustrated, Etc, Etc....

8d, Pontiac, The complete History. By Thomas C. Bonsall. dated 1979. Some Tempest info, interesting reading.

8e, 75 Years of Pontiac/Oakland. By John Gunnell, Dated 1982. Great reading. Also has another picture of the 61 LeMans with a side note about its inception.

9, Performance info/upgrades for the Tempest. Get a copy of Hot Rod Magazines Pontiac perfomance handbook. Dated 1963!!! This book shows lots of stuff that was done back in the day to make our little 4 cylinders really run. Pics of earl try Y header, stroker kits, cams & pistons, supercharging, etc, etc,,, Also has a pretty good section on Mickey Thompson & his works with the Tempest 4 cylinder.

This is just a partial listing of books I have but they have the most important info about our rope shaft cars!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POCI.org
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to add, get a set of "Motors" manuals that are 2-3 years newer than your car. They will have updated info in them. Get a Auto repair manual & a labor & parts manual. Great info!!!!

POCI.org

Last edited by mechanickeith; 09-15-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM

can i just buy you a scanner? lol

Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963vert View Post
can i just buy you a scanner? lol
If ya did, I would probably spend the rest of my life there!!!!

POCI.org
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith,

Regarding your item 8c Brookland book, I have a similar book titled "Pontiac Tempest and GTO 1961-1965 with 101 pages. I assume it is a revision of your book enlarged with info on the 64's and 65's. It is "compiled" by R.M. Clarke and noted as printed in Hong Kong and being distributed by Brookland Book Distribution Ltd, 'Holmerise', Seven Hills Road, Cobham,Surrey KT11, England and by Motorbooks International, Osceola, Wisconsin 54020, USA Telephone: 715-294 3345 & 800-826-6600.

My book was probably printed about 1983 since a listing in it of other books showed coverage of some other cars up to 1983.

Interestingly, their listing of other Brookland books did not list the book you have. The only other Pontiac books they listed were "Pontiac GTO 1964-1970" and "Pontiac Firebird 1967-1973".

Several months ago I placed an order with a book store I deal with to find me another copy of my book. They haven't called me back.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug, My BIG mistake!!! You have the same book as me,101 pages I forgot to add "1961-1965" Great book!!! Including a writeup about Royal Pontiac's Bobcat treatment to a 63 326 LeMans. 320 HP!!! 15.6 second 1/4 mile!! WOW!!

A lot of the books I have have been out of print for some time. Occasionally one will come up on Ebay. Got to look long & hard to find them. I am going to see if I can get all the articles scanned so we can get them put up on the Little Indians site under "Technical Pubs" There is a lot of info out there that needs to be available on line. I am sure its there somewhere but needs to be in one spot!!

POCI.org
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another very good read is 1961-63 Tempest: Innovative Brainstorm. This is in the Dec 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile. Author is Don Keefe!!!! 14 pages long with lots of pictures!!

POCI.org
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM

Cool, will check those out!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Reference books EVERY 61-63 owner should have in their library.

6, Then, look for the old "Pontiac Craftsman" service news letters that came out every month or so. Lots of updated info in them that are not in the factory shop manual.

8a, Special Interest Autos, edition SIA #48, Dec 1978, very long in depth story with lots of early pics & info.

This is just a partial listing of books I have but they have the most important info about our rope shaft cars!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just purchased the 8a mentioned above, I put the article on the Little Indians site. I also put a whole years worth of the "Pontiac Craftsman" service news for year 63 on the site. Enjoy reading these, very interesting stuff.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:30 PM

Default Video of Design & Development of the Trophy-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13yFxRIcX4