Old 05-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

It appears the car has been restored frame off although done with some incorrect parts and finishes. If you look at the cost of purchasing a nice project car, then depending on how much you can do and how well, you can quickly see the cost to restore a car can easily exceed the cost you can buy one done. Also you need to decide what is important to you, Concourse judging or very nice driver? If shows and judging are in your future you have a lot of work to do with this car. If however driving and enjoying it is your thing a few simple "fixes" can easily be done.

One thing you will note about this site and general car hobby. Everyone is a critic. As far as value of cars and parts, when they are buying they want to pay pennies on the dollar but when they are selling their stuff is worth it's weight in gold! LOL!

Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The spray bombing of most things black will turn off many people on this forum. Ideally individual parts are refinished as appropriate and reassembled. This car shows bolts, etc all sprayed black in one continuous coat.

I also assume the underside of the hood should be black not body color. At least that's the case with later Pontiacs, I'm not an expert on the 66 era.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post

One thing you will note about this site and general car hobby. Everyone is a critic. As far as value of cars and parts, when they are buying they want to pay pennies on the dollar but when they are selling their stuff is worth it's weight in gold! LOL!
Agreed, if folks on this site say you got a good deal, then you got a smokin deal!

Old 05-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
It appears the car has been restored frame off although done with some incorrect parts and finishes. If you look at the cost of purchasing a nice project car, then depending on how much you can do and how well, you can quickly see the cost to restore a car can easily exceed the cost you can buy one done. Also you need to decide what is important to you, Concourse judging or very nice driver? If shows and judging are in your future you have a lot of work to do with this car. If however driving and enjoying it is your thing a few simple "fixes" can easily be done.
All I am looking for is a very nice driver. I do not want have to have a 100% correct, concourse show car. Its possible it may get into some shows, but really just want to drive. I am well aware of the cost associated with trying to fix up something needing work, and the time involved to get it done. That's what has driven me to start looking at the higher end cars that are complete, clean and present well. Not too concerned about investment, as what ever I get will more than likely be with me until I hit the grave, or can not drive any more.
Seen too many people that have built/restored/bought a car that looks immaculate, only to see them spend their life in a garage, under a cover, as the owners are too stressed about getting things dirty, or rock chips in the paint. What ever I do get, is going to start getting miles racked up. And it will have a good blanket covering the back seat, because my two labs will want to be with me.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 PM
Senior Chief

I have done everything from concourse cars to NHRA drag racing. These days everything I own I can go out in garage, put the key in the ignition, and go down the road. I still have a open trailer for taking cars to long distance events. I am more interested in driving them but still do shows for fun and networking. You can see a few I have owned on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSq...EQ?app=desktop

Old 05-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You guys are right about the pricing on this site. Almost every car that sells at an auction is viewed as over priced. But, I mean it can’t be. It actually did for that price and it is documented.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Getting back to the car posted- I would drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. I don’t think you are going to find another like it for 35k as some might suggest. While some things are noticeably incorrect, it’s still a nice solid car I would be happy to drive

Old 05-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogmitch View Post
All I am looking for is a very nice driver. I do not want have to have a 100% correct, concourse show car. Its possible it may get into some shows, but really just want to drive. I am well aware of the cost associated with trying to fix up something needing work, and the time involved to get it done. That's what has driven me to start looking at the higher end cars that are complete, clean and present well. Not too concerned about investment, as what ever I get will more than likely be with me until I hit the grave, or can not drive any more.
Seen too many people that have built/restored/bought a car that looks immaculate, only to see them spend their life in a garage, under a cover, as the owners are too stressed about getting things dirty, or rock chips in the paint. What ever I do get, is going to start getting miles racked up. And it will have a good blanket covering the back seat, because my two labs will want to be with me.
This being the case with your budget, I would look for car that I would call a quality driver. That GTO is a quality driver at a concourse price. These people get into the restoring business and make nice cars, but they are the Jack of all cars and masters of none. Unless that car was restored by a Pontiac expert the more you look the more incorrect you will find.

You would be better off (in my opinion) with a restomod. Clean straight body, updated brakes, suspension and wheels/tires, add creature comforts like PW, cruise control, etc. A/C is always nice, especially if you get caught in the rain. If you buy a flawless number 1 car (which this GTO is not)you will not enjoy it. Maybe something that drives like a 2010 car but is in a classic style of yesteryear. Something you can just get in and drive with no worries.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Flights, Hotel, and rental car booked. Flying down Friday, and have an appointment to view the car Saturday morning. If all works out, they already have a shipper picking up two vehicles on June 5th for delivery to Washington State. Plenty of room for the GTO on that trip. If I buy, should get delivered on the 10th.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Have you seen how much the restomod cars bring at auctions? They can bring more than a correctly restored model. You won't find a restomod like you described done at high level quality for $35k.

The great thing about this hobby is there is something for everyone. Some like the sound and feel of old school because it reminds them of when these cars were new and they were a lot younger. Others like the look but prefer the modern creature comforts and modern brakes and handling as well as the reliability.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't put a lot stock in auctions. The people whom go to auctions usually have stupid money and if they want something bad enough they will over pay because the money doesn't mean anything to them. If you're a millionaire and you have pay 25k more to beat the bidder and win, BINGO a 50k car is now worth 75K. A lot of ego going on there. It artificially inflates the prices. Then all of sudden you're paying 25k for a completely rusted out shell of a car with no engine/trans, interior and the only thing salvageable is the cowl. Sheesh!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogmitch View Post
Flights, Hotel, and rental car booked. Flying down Friday, and have an appointment to view the car Saturday morning. If all works out, they already have a shipper picking up two vehicles on June 5th for delivery to Washington State. Plenty of room for the GTO on that trip. If I buy, should get delivered on the 10th.
Glad to see you are going to look at it first. Just be sure you know what you are looking at. This car has a TON of stuff wrong with it from the wrong steering wheel to the engine painted the wrong color, suspect panel gaps, plus much, much more. Again, that price is for a #1, concours condition, factory tri power car which this car is far from. A 2- car in my opinion with a possible solid 2 with mistakes corrected.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 AM
Senior Chief

Well for whatever reason a car sales at auction it is what the value guides and classic car insurers use to determine value. There is no database on private sales across the hobby. Like it or not the auctions are documented sales.

I agree a lot of money gets spent on incorrect cars but the truth of the matter is a lot of the high end concourse winning and documented cars get sold at these auctions as well. I have noticed quite a few Pontiacs that were high point concourse cars at GTOAA Nationals go across the auction block. Just because you or I would not spend that kind of money does not mean the car is not worth that much. The market determines the value. The big auction houses use this to their advantage.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

At $50k I think you are underestimating the market value of a number 1 concourse tripower car with documentation both as to correctness and quality of workmanship. I have seen those types of cars go for much more and the value guides agree (Haggerty etc). Maybe you are saying that is what you would spend for a #1 concourse car. However I think it would be very difficult to find a documented sale price of $50k on GTOAA Concourse winning factory correct 66 Tripower car.

Smart move on the OP part to see the car in person. I have driven 8 hours with cash in hand, trailer in tow, to purchase a car I had only seen in pictures. When the guy raised the garage door I instantly knew it was not for me. It was almost like he sent me pictures of a different car.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=Smart move on the OP part to see the car in person. I have driven 8 hours with cash in hand, trailer in tow, to purchase a car I had only seen in pictures. When the guy raised the garage door I instantly knew it was not for me. It was almost like he sent me pictures of a different car.[/QUOTE]

I just did a 9 hour trip with a wad of cash and trailer in tow two weekends ago. Owner is asking 47k. Advertised as a tripower 4 spd car. Turned out tripower was added. The main killer was it still wore the original vinyl top and ithad rust issues in the c pillar under the top. The rest of the body was really clean and rust free. Paint was a few years old with touched up nicks and scratches. Really needed a new top and body work to the roof. Interior was original, and in fairly good shape, but head liner was messed up. Cam home empty.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:30 AM

Turned out, 50k was too much. Too many issues that needed attention. Paint job was really nice, and looked great in person. Interior was great, for the most part. Here are a few of the issues I had with it.
Motor ran awful. Very rough. Had a miss going on. Maybe just needed a tune up, or could have been more. Coolant leaking at manifold to TC cover joint, valve covers leaking, exhaust leak. Brakes needed attention. Would barely stop the car, and shook & vibrated when applied. They installed an aftermarket hurst linkage while they get the original refurbished, so the console was tore apart, and left that way, because it interferred whan going for reverse. The rally dash’s tach was not working properly. Was showing idle at 1800, and would not go above 3000. Window crank fell off, missing clip, pass door trim loose, panel gaps messed up, drivers lower rear quarter behind rear tire had filler, light bulbs burned out, trunk seal installed wrong, had ends at the top, center of trunk opening in stead of the back by latch.
Also, fenders on both sides were installed wrong and left a large gap under the rocker moulding at the rear of the fenders. Glove box was difficult to get open, and console button/latch was missing its retaining clip. The upper bearing? in the steering column allowed for the wheel to move all over.
There was a few more little items also. Far from what I thought should be found on a car that they are asking in the 50’s for.
If I had bought without looking, I would have been very pissed. Car had all kinds of noises when driving, though it was a very short drive.. really kind of irked me when he finally said “this car is more for someone that leaves it in their garage looking pretty, and not meant to be driven”. WTF kind of statement is that? Told me the 4th owner paid $65k for it in ‘18.

Last edited by aogmitch; 05-31-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Welcome to the real world of "rose colored & blind glasses." So it is really a 25K car that needs a lot of attention and $$$. Everyone thinks they have gold on their hands. When the ad starts out with "nicest example in the world, rare, 1 of only xxxx known to exist, best in the country, none finer" etc., run. I would have been pissed, especially with his line "Zero Apologies." I would have asked right to his face for money to compensate me for my time and gas - but that is me. Now go online and write up a complaint/review of your experience and save others the same disappointment and selling BS.

And I would never buy from a consignment business or flipper. Only purchase from the owner directly because he has to look you in the eye and he knows you'll be back if he screws you because you know where he lives.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Careful,

If you are wanting a pretty “look at me” paint job this might be a good choice.

But there’s a lot of “mix and match“ going on under the hood which suggest other areas might be questionable.
That alternator strap is Hilarious.

It definitely needs seat covers all around.

Good luck.
I said “Careful”,

and other areas might be questionable ...... Bingo !

Anyone that installs a 64/65 wiper switch on a 66 dash is ........ Duh 🙄

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what a scumbag lying PURE piece of shet
J.J. Armstrong at 941-286-0889

South Car Motorsports
16120 Lee Road Unit 170
Fort Meyers , FL 33912
SALES:
239-590-8575

Quote:
It is without a doubt, one of the finest examples of a 1966 GTO you will EVER find.
might be the nicest example in the world!

An easy way to sum up additional questions quickly would be to say this - if you think it might be bad, it isn't. If you wonder if it is like new, it is. If you are looking for flaws, you can't really find any. This is a one of a kind, FOUR OWNER, fully documented and ACTUAL MILE 1966 GTO that is as perfect as you think it is from reviewing the photos. Do NOT miss this car. It is exceptional in every single way.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Ouch! Have personal experiences with him?