Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW GUY!!! Lots better than the last time I saw your car!! I allmost bought that car to scrap out as a parts car!! Glad I didnt!! Whats the deal with your grill?? Damaged??

POCI.org
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM

its usable but i figured since i am going through this much trouble why not try polish this turd a bit more.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Damn good lookin 4dr. Love the wheels. The colors look fantastic. Is that after you cut the springs? John

Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM

yes its after the springs are cut but no motor in it yet. it drags the oil pan on everything in the road so i need to fix that. i have spaced the engine up a bit with washers but am too afraid to space it too much because i dont want to flex the driveshaft too much. i will find a picture back when it was just grey primer, but i am watching the suns sweep the spurs right now.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 PM

here it is with the stock 15" wheels and springs cut

i dont remember it stock height because i cut the springs as soon as i got it home. then i started sanding the car down with 80 grit because the guy i bought it from painted it flat black but mixed a gallon of primer with hardener and filled the gun as needed. so the paint came out already dry. it sat in bare metal for 2 years after i painted it grey primer waiting for body work and color as you see it now. there was not an ounce of filler in this car other than factory lead before i had the body work done. which it still has very minimum plastic filler in it.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spacing up wont make the shaft any different. SUNS sweep the spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POCI.org
Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

62pest - Love the car! Doing a great job!!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 PM

so as long as i dont hit the air cleaner on the hood i am fine? anything to keep that oil pan off the ground. i keep radiator repair putty in my glovebox for those road side emergency stops.

thanks to everyone for the kind words. its deterring to build this car because of all the hot rod guys who ask why waste your time on that car, or why build a 4 door. maybe that is why i am building this car instead of my '50 chevy truck.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a lot more 50 chev trucks on the road than 62 Tempest 4 doors!!! Keep at it car looks great. Colors are a fine match!!!!

POCI.org
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with Keith, nice color choices. The best thing about these cars, they are very rare. Whether its a 2 or 4 door or a wagon or ragtop, the chances of seeing one at the local cruice is slim. Chevy's are everywhere. Keep at it and keep posting pictures as you progress!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM

yeah but not many '50 chevy trucks with jag xj6 rear ends and a 427 bbc with a dual carb tunnel ram and the little body mods that i have planned for it riding on 14" supreme wheels. just to let you guys in on a secret of mine i like old '60's wheels. here is an older picture of my garage wall.

this was when i first moved in to my house 2 years ago. since my wheel collection has grown a bit.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow I like the wheels towards the bottom left with the black painted inserts, what are they?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 62 Tempest Grill on eBay

62pest - I came across this grill on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

That's a lot for a grill in worse shape than mine. I may be able to straighten mine if I need to.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default Very nice!!

Wow, that is nice!!! I , among the rest of us here, really appreciate the work you have done on your 4-door. really neat!!! I love the color combo and the wheels!!Makes me bummed that my 4-door is too far gone to restore(rusty trunk, roof and floor boards).

However, with the exception of door panels that I have promised Keith already, I have a four-door parts car if you find you need any interior or 4-door goodies off it, let me know.

As far as the oil pan clearance, maybe add a skid plate off of a 4x4? Maybe even a modified oil pan, (?hamburger style?).

Like GaryK and Keith mentioned, you'll get plenty of attention being the oddball anywhere you go. Get you camera ready for all those diving under the rearend to look at the driveline. Haha!!

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM

The lighter color is the new chrysler 300 cool vanilla and the top is a 2009 hhr gold with a .08 micro flake. The painter did an ok job as long as the car is moving, but if it is sitting there are a bunch of flaws and tiger stripes all over the roof. Next step is probally get the paint flaws fixed and keep trying to save for interior. I need a headliner before I can put in windows so I don't need seals yet. The car is fairly complete to the best of my memory. It has been over 3 years since I had it together so I may be wrong.

Thanks again for all the support and kind words. You guys are my motivation to keep going.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Too many projects, too little $$ and time

Thanks to C5farmer, my wagons broken engine mount is repaired!! It runs and drives, and even stops (how about that stopping part, rare indeed, along with rare torn engine mount bracket, how'd that happen?). When the motor mount bracket broke on the passenger side,yes, the steel one, obviously, the crossover tube snapped off. Nice and loud, almost like keith's glass pack on his '61. lol.

The yellow convertible now has brakes, after resorting to rebuilding the original as the "New Master Cylinder" from Napa failed to build pressure. Bad check valve. 3rd one to have problems. China crap no good!!! It too runs , drives and stops now. Needs tires and she'll be on the road. Paint on the yellow convertible this summer and exhaust on all three others hopefully.

Open to suggestions and ideas of color combo for the wagon. So far, Babyblue to match my convertible, but also considering another metallic red, or even copper, white two tone deal for a more retro look. Hard to see, but gotta love the purple tinted windows on the wagon. Surprised it didn't have the furry dash that Keith's wagon was lucky to come with. haha! Neighbors tossing the thought of 421 or Ls2 conversion. Budget obviously not in mind as much as reality, dreams are nice though.

Don't worry, the electric fuel pump sitting on the engine manifold is only temporary until I get the fuel tank dropped cleaned and reinstalled with the pump mounted in the rear. Running on portable can. I will post pics and how and where when I do the install. The yellow convertible will be first for the pump as the tank is already out on it.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ONE DOWN & ONE TO GO...

O.K. 63'
Now that the Lemans has the 462 all set and clearly able to run
Lets get that Tempest little 4 banger back together

Besides I know two Old men that say that Lemans don't have nothing for them, so you better stick with the 4

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 61 coupe

Painting this for a friend. He wants it done for the 2011 reunion at Norwalk. Says he wants to put a 215v8 in it which he has. I hope he does it.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 PM

gary k here is a shot of those wheels before they became wall ornaments. they were made by a company called apache if my memory serves me correctly. i paid $140 for the 2 wheels which i consider a steal. now only if i could find the other 2. best part about them is that they are a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern so if worse comes to worse i could run fender skirts and these on the front.