Old 05-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
We actually had an old one open back up with new management here last year but they are struggling. They had a lot of problems last year. Couldn't open as much as they wanted and low attendance at some events. Their old timing system went down, which hurt attendance. I went up there and "flashlight" raced. Which was fun, but I would have liked times. This year they spent a bunch on a new timing system and then haven't been able to open as normal. Im rooting for them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they folded.
At least you guys appear to have something for the little guys, more than once a year. Flash light drags might be kinda fun.

Out here is pretty dismal. There is really nothing for us old guys and classic cars to race in for some fun.

Basically what we have is one track, Wild Horse in Phoenix. It services basically the entire northern half of the state and to the West. It's the only track in the area. One other track exists 90 miles to the South in Tuscon.
So here we have one track in Phoenix where over 4 million people live just in that city alone, that I drive over 100 miles to get to. Yet they only have one muscle car style race a year. That's it. And Steve Barcack puts that on, with all models welcome on Saturday, and Pontiac only on Sunday. This event has the ability to be huge but the structure of the event among other things hurts attendance, but that's another discussion.
Fact is, Wild Horse has nothing else for the little guys the rest of the year. Just test and tune nights about once a month. Everything else is nothing but NHRA sanctioned events the entire year. SUCKS. They don't even hold a Super Chevy event there anymore. I don't know if it's the track owner or what, but someone simply has no interest in putting on events for the local classic car crowd at all. Instead they have drift events and ricer racing.
Dad was running under the roll bar rule last trip down at Pontiac Heaven and they were cool about it. At least that day. I've had instances down there with a convertible LS powered Camaro where I barely got through tech, knowing the LS cars run quicker than 13.50's right out of the box, the requirement for a roll bar in a vert, they almost weren't even going to let me run at all. Now we have new cars running 10's with just a helmet. Crazy.

I really hope your track makes it. Once they close it's 10 times harder to open one back up, or build one. I'm a believer in supporting the local tracks, and try to, but when they only have test and tune once a month and no other real events that relate to any cars we have, it limits my opportunities to attend.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 05-27-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a lot of fun, but they didn't have enough cars show up to properly class it as they had planned. Everyone raced together. I ended up in the finals against a 2018 Demon. It ended pretty much how you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
It was a lot of fun, but they didn't have enough cars show up to properly class it as they had planned. Everyone raced together. I ended up in the finals against a 2018 Demon. It ended pretty much how you would expect.
Well you made it to the finals

With this beer virus deal I suspect it'll take a while for attendance to get back to normal.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
we'd have to use different tires and make it a "hill-climb" instead!........LOL...
Not if you go down hill!!!!

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 AM

Well then you beat the Demon... love that expectation :-)

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..