Old 05-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also make sure the dash is grounded.
Might add another ground from the dash to a good ground on the firewall.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Already added the star washer to where the ground screws to the body. I am going to rmove the ground wire and clean the connector on the other end to see if that is the problem.

John, would I need to add another ground to the dash if all other dash components work just fine?

Bob, remember mine is a 64 Lemans, your 66 might have the ground wire in another location. I thought I read somewhere on the board that newer years had the ground wire connected between the gas tank and the body, but not sure.

I will let you know how I come out this weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------
When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes, and you can say whatever the hell you want to about him.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:28 PM

OK my turn
Do this unplug the brown wire from tank sender
turn switch ON get someone to watch the dash gauge
while you GROUND the brown wire you just unpluged and see if the dash gauge moved ALL THE WAY OVER
then unground it and see if it moves back.
IF the gauge moves the tank unit is worn sometimes you can repair it by adjusting the arm contact where it rubs on the reostat.
Let me know how it goes
Good luck
Mike

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
---Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
---Rush Limbaugh,

Old 05-15-2003, 03:20 PM

Check the ignition switch, wiggle it back and forth a little.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the direction Mike, I will try this weekend and let you know.

I hope it's the sending unit, I plan on putting a new tank on in the future. Might just have to get a new sending unit at the same time.

All good things are worth waiting for. "Yeah right", I want them now!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity".

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
I did what you said, pulled the wire off at the sending unit and the guage went to full. But I did not ground it. Plugged it back in and it went to 1/4, pull it off and it go's to full. What's the deal.

Is my wire grounded? If so please tell me how to check this without disassembling my car.

1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 05-19-2003, 10:56 AM

"Mike,
I did what you said, pulled the wire off at the sending unit and the guage went to full. But I did not ground it. Plugged it back in and it went to 1/4, pull it off and it go's to full. What's the deal."

"But I did not ground it. Plugged it back in "

You have to GROUND the wire you took off to do the test.. just stick a jumper wire in the end off the connector and ground it to a clean spot on the frame.

go and ground the wire to the frame with the switch on and the Dash Gauge should go to Empty that will tell you that the wiring is good and the Dash Gauge is working.
Let me know how it goes
Good luck
Mike

---Rush Limbaugh,

Old 05-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright Mike,

I think this time I followed your instructions.(lol...)

Pulled wire at sending unit, guage went to full, grounded wire to frame with extra wire, and the guage went to empty.

Hopefully this tells me that my wiring and guage is good.

Should I be ordering a new sending unit?
Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had the chance to try the grounding trick yet but I did notice that now occasionally the gauge will start working then go back to the 1/4 mark again.

Just got the tags yesterday and drove it about 50 miles to give it a good testing. Topped off the tank and had a great time cruising. This morning I thought I would drive it into work and everything seemed to be going fine for the first 5-6 miles when it felt like I ran out of gas. I was in 4th gear and the car start lurching. I can start it and run in first or second while feathering the gas pedal. If I get it into 3rd or 4th then the lurching starts again. I talked to a co-worker who used to be a car machanic, he believes the fuel filter is clogged. Since this was the first time I filled the tank completely he thinks that I stirred up some crap in the tank. I tend to agree and will get a new filter today. If anyone has other ideas I would like to hear them. I will post this in another area to get it little more exposure.

Thanks

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes, and you can say whatever the hell you want to about him.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 AM

Bob
You found the problem
Tank sending unit!
Glad I could help

Mike

---Rush Limbaugh,

Old 05-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Mike,
I'm glad it's the sender. I plan on putting in a new tank soon and planned on putting in a new sender just as a "good idea" kind of thing.

Just one more part I get to buy from P/Y.
Will this be by credit card Sir..,"Why yes" Thank you!

Old 05-20-2003, 10:18 AM

OK HALFWAY you asked for it

I agree with the trash in the tank. BUT the sock filter on the end of the tank sender will need to be replaced also if it's still there.

( I always just do away with it and install A large inline filter so I don't have to remove the tank if it get's dirty.)

I have seen many time's the sock will suck together at high speed and Carb will not get enough fuel.

Just my 2 cent's
Good Luck
Mike

---Rush Limbaugh,

Old 05-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would the fuel sock all of a sudden do this or would this be something that happens gradually. This seemd to happen all of a sudden, and I was driving at 60 to 65 MPH for most of the time the day before with no problems.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:26 PM

"Would the fuel sock all of a sudden do this or would this be something that happens gradually. This seemd to happen all of a sudden, and I was driving at 60 to 65 MPH for most of the time the day before with no problems."

Well... Yes and no that sock will gradually get clogged with very fine rust and while going slow stop & go driveing you will not notice.. I have seen them suck together at speed kill the car then when you stop the sock will pop back out dislodge the trash and car runs fine. Will do that if water get's in tank also.

What carb filter do you have installed now?

Pull it out and see what trash you find in it.
Good luck

---Rush Limbaugh,

Old 05-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a tripower setup, so I have an inline filter between the fuel pump and the carbs. Although it is not an OEM filter it is one that looks similar in size. I didn't get an expensive one as I figured I would have to change a few of them while going through several tanks of gas.

I just figured I would see a gradual clogging of the filter, not the all of a sudden loss of fuel to the carbs. I got another filter today and will put it on tonight and see what happens. I sure hope I didn't get a batch of watered down gas, since I only drove around 60 miles on a full tank. I suppose I could syphon some out of the tank and look. I haven't done that in years, hope I don't get a mouthful, that would really suck.

Old 05-21-2003, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Halfway,

Another thing you can do to save on buying tri-power fuel filters is to mount a inline filter just off the tank under the car that would catch most of the crud first. They make some bigger filters that will not load up as fast and can be hidden under the car.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it was the fuel filter. Changed it and all is well so far. I am sure I will have to change out a few more until I have run a couple tank fulls to clear the crap out. On to the fuel gage problem. May have to change the sending unit anyway.

Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to keep kicking this mule, but should there be a ground wire on a 1966 GTO from the tank to the frame?

I ordered my new tank,sending unit and straps and I looked at my current tank and could not find a ground wire. Just thought if I need one that during the new tank assembly is when I could add one.

Old 05-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,

Where does the sending unit mount on your car? Mine is at the front of the tank. There is a connector on the left that goes to the wiring harness, which sounds like the wire you do have. There is a ground connector on the right side that is then screwed to the body of the car.

Mark

Old 07-26-2003, 03:09 PM

Guys,
Tried Mike's test on the "stuck on full" gas gauge in my 65 GTO. Unplugged sending unit wire at tank and grounded it. Turned key on, gauge moved all the way over to empty. Plugged wire back in to sending unit and gauge moved all the way back to full. Do I have a bad sending unit???

Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Kirt