Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Chief

Default what is this connection for - there is a broken wire

Before anyone asks, YES I ordered a manual and it is on its way.
The car is a 69 GTO
The location of this connector is under the dash and up on the column.

Can anyone tell me what this connection is for?
There is a almost broken wire, there a few strands holding this wire in place.
I have maked the wire with a red arrow, it looks like it comes from a 2 wire connector (circled in red) and you can just barely see the pulled out wire from the connector in the other circle of red.
The wire in question looks like it is a BLACK wire and it is one over and behind the yellow wire. I included another picture with out the red markings.

How can I remove this connector to repair the wire, how does it unsnap?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
Before anyone asks, YES I ordered a manual and it is on its way.
The car is a 69 GTO
The location of this connector is under the dash and up on the column.

Can anyone tell me what this connection is for?
There is a almost broken wire, there a few strands holding this wire in place.
I have maked the wire with a red arrow, it looks like it comes from a 2 wire connector (circled in red) and you can just barely see the pulled out wire from the connector in the other circle of red.
The wire in question looks like it is a BLACK wire and it is one over and behind the yellow wire. I included another picture with out the red markings.

How can I remove this connector to repair the wire, how does it unsnap?

First what is the color of the other wire? with this maybe black wire ?
Second what is this black wire connected to ?
Third there is likely a locking tab, on the (male) connector . Gently lift the locking tang up(female connector) and pull apart.
The terminal in question could have a broken locking tang.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hard to tell but according to the drawings it looks like the wire you're referring to is actually dark green. It runs to your temp guage but it also connects to your ACC which could very well explain why you have no ACC power if there's only a couple of strands connected you can't get enough power through it to run your ACC circuits.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Noob
Hard to tell but according to the drawings it looks like the wire you're referring to is actually dark green. It runs to your temp guage but it also connects to your ACC which could very well explain why you have no ACC power if there's only a couple of strands connected you can't get enough power through it to run your ACC circuits.

Noob - sound like I may have stumbled on to what I have been looking for, problem is I am a big size guy (300lb) and fitting under the dash is not easy, so I found that wire using a few mirrors. I can reach the connector with my hand but I cannot feel how it comes apart, and even if I can get it apart, I have no idea If there is enough wire length to pull it down to work on.

Any ideas?

Last edited by InjunNick; 05-30-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's part of the connector that's attached to the steering column right?

If so then drop your steering column and you'll have easy access to it.

First you remove the trim pieces that go under the column then you take a couple of bolts out of the bracket that holds your column up under the dash and the column will drop and rest on your seat.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
It's part of the connector that's attached to the steering column right?

If so then drop your steering column and you'll have easy access to it.

First you remove the trim pieces that go under the column then you take a couple of bolts out of the bracket that holds your column up under the dash and the column will drop and rest on your seat.

thanks, I will try that tonight if I get the chance,,,, I will get a pic of it after I drop it.....

Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

Idropped the column and I was able to get to the connector, as I was pulling it out the wire in question was not connected to anything because it fell out of the connector. After I managed to get the connector out I noticed that I am in need of help with trying to figure which slot the wire goes in, there are 2 to choose from. The connector has a number 7 molded into it and the 2 open locations where this wire could go to is behind the yellow wire.
This wire is MUCH LARGER than the other wires in this connector and the wire end has been replaced with the wrong size for the size of wire. I will need to replace that prong with a much larger wire receptical than what was put on it.
Look at the pictures and see if you can see on your wiring diagram if anything looks familiar.....

Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it should have been a purple wire, for the neutral safety switch.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom
Looks like it should have been a purple wire, for the neutral safety switch.
Are you saying that the diagram say it should be a purple wire?
The color of this wire looks to be very dark like Black, it goes from this connector up to a spot where it and another are attached, you can see that in one of the earlier pictures.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Idropped the column and I was able to get to the connector, as I was pulling it out the wire in question was not connected to anything because it fell out of the connector. After I managed to get the connector out I noticed that I am in need of help with trying to figure which slot the wire goes in, there are 2 to choose from. The connector has a number 7 molded into it and the 2 open locations where this wire could go to is behind the yellow wire.
This wire is MUCH LARGER than the other wires in this connector and the wire end has been replaced with the wrong size for the size of wire. I will need to replace that prong with a much larger wire receptical than what was put on it.
Look at the pictures and see if you can see on your wiring diagram if anything looks familiar.....

That terminal appears to look like one of those cheap, after market crimp terminals? If it is, then I would follow the wire lead to see, what color of wire it is spliced to ? Those after market terminals do not lock into connectors, there is no locking tang on them . Since you have decided to replace the terminal try and secure one from a similar connector. This is where a salvage yard comes in mighty handy .

Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

That terminal appears to be an after market kind. If it is then there is no way it will lock into a connector, no locking tang . Also if it is an aftermarket terminal i would follow the wire lead to see where it is spliced in . Since you have decided to replace the terminal i would go to a salvage yard to get the correct terminal. This is when salvage yards, come in mighty handy.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK

The Yellow wire goes to your coil.

The black with pink print together with pink in the terminal next to the yellow also goes to your coil.

The Pink in that same terminal goes to the fuse box for your turn signals, back up lights, guages ( oil & temp) and trans downshift

The brown /white together with the Brown in the terminal next to the Pink & Black/Pink goes to your voltage regulator

The brown in that same connector goes to your wipers and radio fuses

The terminal with the red wire goes to your Clock Lighter Courtesy, Taillights and Stop Hazard fuses

The terminal next to the Red is unused

the terminal all by itself where you say the wire came from should be a purple wire which would be you neutral safety switch

There should be another connector very close to that one that has 4 terminals on it. 3 of the terminals should have wires in it. There should be a red, dark green and an orange

Red goes to a fusable link in your engine compartment that goes to your regulator, alternator and back to your fuse box to the pwr acsry fuse for pwr windows top or seats

The Dark Green goes to your temp guage and you ACC, Start and Run circuits

The Orange wire goes to your Heater AC fuse which powers your heater motor and AC control power.

You can try unplugging the 4 terminal connector I just listed and try jumping +12 VDC into the Orange wire and see if your blower starts to work. If it does I would say it's a really good indication that your ingnition switch is toast.

From what I can tell the part of the plug that remains on the steering column goes to the key switch so when you remove the other have thats the end that goes out to your car.

You can take your DMM and ground the neg lead and place the pos lead into the connector while it's still hooked up. Turn your key switch to the ACC position and see if you get any voltage. You can then try starting your car and see if you get any voltage on the Orange wire.

Don't turn your key to run and leave it there without the motor running. If you are using a point distributor in your car you will burn out your points.

If you do this and get no voltage and then try running power into that line like I first said and everything works then your switch in my opinion is toast.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Senior Chief

quick question, there are 2 available slots for the wire, which is the correct one this wire should go to?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you ref to the purple for the NS?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If that's the one you're asking about it goes in the empty terminal next to the #7 the one all by itself

Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Are you ref to the purple for the NS?

yes, and are you sure a 4sp uses a NSS?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Chief

I just went out to look at the other connector, there is only 2 wires in it, a red and a orange!!!!
Do you think that this loose wire is the lost third wire?. I followed it towards the other end and it looks to go into a Y something, one of my first pictures shows it....

Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The service manual makes no different statements between a standard and an auto car for this wire.

I did forget that you have a standard

The only thing that changes is the red wire from the 4 terminal connector goes to the headlight switch instead of where I said earlier

Old 05-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I just went out to look at the other connector, there is only 2 wires in it, a red and a orange!!!!
Do you think that this loose wire is the lost third wire?. I followed it towards the other end and it looks to go into a Y something, one of my first pictures shows it....

Could be what color is the wire is it Dark Green or is it Purple?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Chief

looks black