Old 10-09-2023, 06:12 PM

Default Air Condition options

I have a 70 Grand Prix with factory ac. The previous owner removed the compressor because the clutch was bad. I am trying to decide which option I should go with to get ac running again. Do I rebuild the original compressor and stay with R12 even though R12 is hard to get and very expensive. Do I have the original compressor rebuilt and convert to r134a or do I go with a more modern system like something from Old Air Products with a new compressor and system? The car is completely stock.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:07 PM

I converted my 72 to r134a. I purchased a kit that came with the new POA valve, new drier, expansion valve and o rings. I also bought the new style aluminum compressor painted black. If I remember correctly it came from Old Air Products. I had new lines made locally, the condenser checked and flushed the evaporator coil. Just got it charged a few weeks ago. No leaks and it blows cold, but it was expensive as well and will it last? Time will tell. I'd say it's personal preference and might be less hassle if you can get your hands on R12 and you're happy with the old style compressor. Mine is also stock.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:41 PM

Thanks. I’d love to keep R12, I just know it’s harder to come by.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:36 PM

I went back and forth quite a bit. I double checked and I got my kit and compressor from Auto AC Solutions in Texas. Considering what I spent, you might be on the right track. If you are handy enough to rebuild that compressor and can get your hands on some R12, it might be worth it to take that route. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out and you have some cold air!

Old 10-10-2023, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't kept up on the pricing of R12, but assuming the rest of the system is put into good condition and there's no leaks it would be a one time expense and then you're done (at least for many years.)

Old 10-11-2023, 03:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd get a new, not rebuilt A6 compressor from Alma Products (they own the GM tooling for that compressor). These new A6's also have a lip seal instead of the original porcelain/steel one. And they come filled with mineral oil for R-12, but you can dump that for PAG if going with R-134a. Personally, I'd stick with R-12.

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2023, 09:37 PM

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A thing to consider is propane. Unlike 134a It can be used in lieu of R12 and is compatible with the original mineral oil. Also, unlike r134a it has the same thermal capacity as R12 so cooling performance is unaffected. People tend to get freaky when they hear propane because of the flammability but bear in mind you will carry 3 or 4 pounds of propane in the system and your gas tank has 125 pounds of also very flammable gasoline. It's dirt cheap which is nice because any stock R12 system with clamped hoses will slowly leak. You can do it yourself by buying those little freon replacement cans at any of the big autopart chains.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)