Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been going the spring OC car show since 1998 and it's gotten bigger every year. I wouldn't miss it unless I'm dead. I have a blast every time. If the weather cooperates it can be the biggest event of the year for the town of OC. With over 3000 cars of every imaginable build registered for the show and another 3000 show up just to cruise over the weekend can make for a very large crowd. It is one of the biggest car shows on the East Coast period, and for those that have never gone, you need to go at least once.

Coming in on a Saturday is ok, but get there early. Sunday is dead as far as I'm concerned. Half the cars leave in the morning. There is a car show at the inlet and awards are given out by 1:30pm and the show is essentially over. If you want to get the entire feel of the event get there Wednesday or Thursday.

There are some that bitch about the traffic and the cops, and the diesel trucks. I'm there to cruise and have a good time and I do. I could care less about that crap.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Just got back from picking up my registration materials/badges from the convention center. Excitement is definitely in the air! Lots of sunshine, and already lots of muscle cars parking and cruising. It appears that even more restaurants are trying to attract cruisers by sponsoring events in their parking lots. If the thunderstorms stay away, this should be a great weekend!

--- Jay

Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up not going yesterday afternoon 'cause we had spotty showers-unbelievable! I'm not sure how the weather was in OC at the tail end but I didn't want to drive 3 hrs in this crap only to see cars heading in the opposite direction. I hope those who were able to go earlier in the week had a good time.

Does anyone know if the Endless Summer Cruisin' in OC is decent/comparable?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project

Last edited by grivera; 05-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Historically, the Spring event is more crowded than the Fall event, but they're otherwise pretty comparable.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jay, looking forward to it...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I ended up not going yesterday afternoon 'cause we had spotty showers-unbelievable! I'm not sure how the weather was in OC at the tail end but I didn't want to drive 3 hrs in this crap only to see cars heading in the opposite direction. I hope those who were able to go earlier in the week had a good time.

Does anyone know if the Endless Summer Cruisin' in OC is decent/comparable?
If I remember correctly, Fall has less registered cars but is open to all years. I personally preferred the Fall over Spring.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I was told this morning......

A bunch of guys that went from around here are saying they'll never go to this one again. Said it was an expensive mess. Many spots that had previously held mini shows were not even open. Plus the idiots with their diesel trucks were rampant sooting up cars and pedestrians. Yeah they got tickets for it from the cops but still stuck around doing it over and over again. Good way to ruin a show.

Besides that, they said it's no longer a hotrod/muscle car show. And the 55.00 entrance fee meant nothing. THose that didn't pay could go wherever and do whatever they wanted.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
From what I was told this morning......

A bunch of guys that went from around here are saying they'll never go to this one again. Said it was an expensive mess. Many spots that had previously held mini shows were not even open. Plus the idiots with their diesel trucks were rampant sooting up cars and pedestrians. Yeah they got tickets for it from the cops but still stuck around doing it over and over again. Good way to ruin a show.

Besides that, they said it's no longer a hotrod/muscle car show. And the 55.00 entrance fee meant nothing. THose that didn't pay could go wherever and do whatever they wanted.
Exactly what I said in my earlier post. There are more high rise truck driving around with a bunch of drunk a holes hanging out the back and blowing black smoke all over everyone. It is a shame too cause. A lot of people come from all over to go to it. I didn't go this year but it seems like the same a holes and their trucks come each year.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 AM

The stupid rednecks in the diesel trucks were definitely out in full force. I made sure I was well away from them when they take off at a light. I'm sure the Discovery Channel will be making a new TV show about their silly antics, any day now.

You can't park in the Inlet parking lot, or the Convention Center parking lot, unless you're registered. Plus, your $55 gets you two badges, good for getting you (as a person) into the Inlet and Convention Center, for all 4 days. Otherwise you have to pay $10 per person per day.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM

I always enjoy myself every year at the spring Cruise. I am not sure what shows were not open that were there last year except the Harley Davidson show. They went out of business a couple of years ago. The local car club somehow managed to put on the shows last year but not this year. If you are not entered in the show you cannot drive in the convention center or the inlet. Some of the businesses have different rules for their shows but the main two places absolutely do not allow any cars in without a number in the window. It was 35.00 for the to for the show if done last spring. It did go up to 39.00 for next year that doesn't seem like a lot of money to park and watch many thousands of old cars. There was a very large turn out of pontiacs this year. Ocean City is certainly expensive but that is anytime. The police were actively trying hard to control the trucks with the sooty exhaust. I really didn't see the police pull over many old cars. I also think if you ask 10 people what a Cruise/muscle hotrod show should be you will get as many answers. They sold out long ago so there are many people that still enjoy it.

Terry

Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwatkinson View Post
I always enjoy myself every year at the spring Cruise. I am not sure what shows were not open that were there last year except the Harley Davidson show. They went out of business a couple of years ago. The local car club somehow managed to put on the shows last year but not this year. If you are not entered in the show you cannot drive in the convention center or the inlet. Some of the businesses have different rules for their shows but the main two places absolutely do not allow any cars in without a number in the window. It was 35.00 for the to for the show if done last spring. It did go up to 39.00 for next year that doesn't seem like a lot of money to park and watch many thousands of old cars. There was a very large turn out of pontiacs this year. Ocean City is certainly expensive but that is anytime. The police were actively trying hard to control the trucks with the sooty exhaust. I really didn't see the police pull over many old cars. I also think if you ask 10 people what a Cruise/muscle hotrod show should be you will get as many answers. They sold out long ago so there are many people that still enjoy it.

Terry
X2.. I had a great time, It was nice talking to you again Terry..see ya next year
Jeff

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Jeff, it was a lot of fun. I'll see ya next spring.

Terry