Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This was an awesome thread! The car looks stunning. Hope it treats you well and you have miles of enjoyment. Congrats! You should go pro the entire car take it for a ride, post it to you tube so we can hear and see it!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stunning car. Just outstanding.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
This was an awesome thread! The car looks stunning. Hope it treats you well and you have miles of enjoyment. Congrats! You should go pro the entire car take it for a ride, post it to you tube so we can hear and see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Stunning car. Just outstanding.
Thanks for the complements guys.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 421-6speed View Post
Thanks for the complements guys.
Worthy of complements!
Time to enjoy the ride. 👍

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Worthy of complements!
Time to enjoy the ride. 👍
Thanks Troy.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 PM

Logged on 500 miles to Goodguys and back last weekend and she didn't miss a beat. Here are a few pics from this past Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive 1.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	434360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass 3.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	434361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass 2.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	434362  

Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 61 Catalina

Hope this works. I saw it on Facebook and didn't see it anywhere on here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2615672&type=3

Old 08-19-2016, 08:49 PM

Not a facebook member so I can't veiw it.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Default Your pictures have been a big help

I didn't realize it was 2010 when I disassembled my 60 until I was looking at my pictures. I took lots of pictures but not enough.
Yours have been a great help as to how things go. I am ready for gas, a battery, and connecting the starter solenoid wires. Assuming it starts, the next stop is an exhaust system.
Thanks for all your help. Now I just have to figure out which post the solenoid purple wire goes to.
Thanks!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique View Post
Now I just have to figure out which post the solenoid purple wire goes to. Thanks!
LOL... you need a Chassis Shop Manual... Section 11 (I think) is electrical.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique View Post
I didn't realize it was 2010 when I disassembled my 60 until I was looking at my pictures. I took lots of pictures but not enough.
Yours have been a great help as to how things go. I am ready for gas, a battery, and connecting the starter solenoid wires. Assuming it starts, the next stop is an exhaust system.
Thanks for all your help. Now I just have to figure out which post the solenoid purple wire goes to.
Thanks!
Glad my my thread was of some help but as Enine-Ear pointed out all the shop manuals are paramount in any restoration.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Dan -

I sure enjoyed reading through your project.

I have a question: What was the purpose of the 2" step in the lower control arms? That lowers the front end a bit? What does it do to any geometry as the suspension cycles? Did you just move the joint vertically up 2", or did you move forward at all to get more caster?

Awesome workmanship. Really gave me a new appreciation for the 60.

- Scott

Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkey View Post
Hi Dan -

I sure enjoyed reading through your project.

I have a question: What was the purpose of the 2" step in the lower control arms? That lowers the front end a bit? What does it do to any geometry as the suspension cycles? Did you just move the joint vertically up 2", or did you move forward at all to get more caster?

Awesome workmanship. Really gave me a new appreciation for the 60.

- Scott
Scott,
No one makes a dropped spindle for the early Pontiac so stepping the control arm is the only option and was common place back in the day on even the Chevy cars & trucks before the dropped spindles hit the market.
Stepping the control arm does not affect the geometry of the suspension if you move the ball joint directly vertical but, you do have to take into account when stepping the rise of the upper control arm as well. When stepping the lower arm you are actually raising the upper the same distance. As the upper rises up it moves in and, with a 2" step on this project the upper control arm moved in 3/16" so, when I stepped the lower I needed to adjust the length of the lower arm to match. In doing so I chose to shorten the lower control arm 5/16", 1/8" shorter then needed. This gave me more adjustment on my caster for modern radial tires and it worked out perfect. On these old cars it is common to hear stories of vehicles that can not be aligned because the frame has rolled so the solution is to find cross shafts that are adjustable (mostly Chevy) of course those parts are not available for the early Pontiac's so I decided to build it in just in case there was a issue.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Dan

Old 10-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great explanation Dan.

On my 61, the original design was for negative caster (upper BJ in front of spindle!). Yes, that is correct and weird. So, with modern tires, it was especially hard to align for positive caster. I did a pretty deep study and tried a couple things, but ultimately I cut off the shock towers from the frame and rotated them back a bit. For lowering, I cut the springs, can't remember how much, but that worked well for me.

I also found fault with the original center link design. I don't know about 60, but with the 61, the center of each pivot point on the center link (where idler, pitman, and tie rods all connect to center link) were not in perfect alignment along the axis. So if you grabbed and rotated the center link on it's axis, the idler and pitman would stay put, but it would waggle the tie rods a little, so there was slop. I don't know if my original center link was bent or if they are all cast like that. But I built an I-beam style heavy duty centerlink on heims and can rotate link on axis without any movement in the geometry, and bump steer was adjustable where heim mounted to spindle which helped. I also built an oversized idler arm with a large frame mounted plate to get rid of that flex. Oversize sway bar too. I have owned a couple 61's and the suspension changes were my favorite because you can feel the improvements and makes for more enjoyable driving. 245 radial tires on my first 61 was a menace. Same tires and wheels with the mods mentioned above on my current 61 is real sure and buttery.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great tech on these last few posts, guys!