Old 02-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have brain vade at times forgot another story. I owned a 61 for all of one day. The was a 2dr ,4bl hydramatic. A guy got it from his father and drove it one night at stock car race as street stock them gave it to me. I stripped out the good stuff and junked it. my father didn't like cars sitting around. The other story I forgot was about the 61 I talked about before,LOOSE PAPOOSE. Phil ran the car a short while then the guy who helped us all Jim Miller got him a 303 w RAIV heads from PMD(long story). Jim made a tunnel ram in his garage I witnessed that. Had the car running,the car looked good with the scoop on the hood. Phil ran it a few times but I wasn't there then sold the car to buy 70 F car for the 303.Just thought I'd share a story.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, please email me, or post here. I need some info from you. The White Lighning is being restored as we speak out in Arizona, as I understand it. I'm waiting to hear from you.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-10-2004, 12:56 PM

jerry h. and all. i had a long conversation with dave from california last night. VERY INTERESTING!! it SEEMS he has the car at a friends shop in az. he definately has the number plate and the virginia title i gave don miller with my name still on it. neat eh? i'm hoping to talk to the guy in az. to talk about soome little body details that maybe only i know about. it sure would great if that car did NOT get cut. i talked to max last night too and we're all trying to figure it out. i'll check back here tonight. don

Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The story I got was that Miller used the floors, trunk, and quarters to restore the blue SD car. This comes from my friend who bought the blue car from Don Miller. He and his partner still have possesion of the car, but it is spoken for. I went up to his shop today, but was not able to see it because it was at his partners building. He claims it is about 75% restored. Paint and engine are done, needs interior and reassembly. I will try to get over and get some pics if I can.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-10-2004, 08:14 PM

This is Dave from Ca, well it's nice to read all this info, about Max's 61 that I believe I have
in arizona I to am trying to get to the bottom about this car.I just read what Jerry posted an have a feeling that could be what happen to the car,but I do have some of the original pices,so time will tell.I have had several long conversations with Max and we will soon know.

DonPontiac if yo would E Mail your phone number please,I would like to again talk with you.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did any of you guys ever get down South and race at either the Yellow River or Newton county strips outside of Atlanta? There was a 61 there that was sponcered by the teminal transport trucking co that was just blowing the doors off of the fords and chevrolets and mopars, but I don't remember seeing him race other pontiacs except once Arnie came down to race.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 02-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

this is without a doubt one of THE neatest topic that has ever been on this website! i wish there were more like this.
i recently acquired a 1961 ventura bubbletop black with blue interior.
SD,4 speed,3.90 posi car. technically i am the second owner. car was ordered from KASEY PONTIAC out of san diego cal. and raced extensively around southern california.
original owner moved to the east coast and i am trying to find him to see if he has any old photo's. if i ever get any pic's i'll post them on here.
definately seems like there were a lot more pontiac people in the mid west & east coast than california. actually, seems that way today.
axle

Old 02-15-2004, 05:00 PM

Here are some photo's of Max Sterlings 62 Sd Pontiac and his 71 Sd car thought you Tin Indians fans would like think back when racing was in your heart not in your wallet.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:19 PM

Typical problems I will try again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002_Max__62.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	15452  

Old 02-15-2004, 05:30 PM

Ok Now we got it !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001_Maxs_71.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	17652  

Old 02-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Chief

he donpontiac,
i was born and raised in virginia...arlington/fairfax area. (read my 50's & 60's topic in the stories section)
anyway,i've got an uncle who lives in orange county VA. he live on
mallorys ford rd. gordonsville.
anywhere near you?
really surprised me to see someone from orange county.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:34 AM

"axle", orange county is a popular place to run to for those of us raised in northern va. gordonsville is at the other end of the county from me. if your uncle is a gearhead, i may know him. don

Old 02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoyed those pictures. Especially the 'wrinkle wall slicks' Brings back memories of the 60's. thanks.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:48 AM

donpontiac(or anyone else);
Just looking at the picture of the '61 White Lightning and wondering how did you deal with fitting the 15" slicks in the rear wheel wells? I remember a bit of rubber hammer work to sort of flare the corners in out of the way. Did you know of anyone that ran 14" tires? I'd seen it and tried it once or twice but just couldn't get the bite that the 15" gave. The 14's would screw up the final ratio slightly also it seems. What say you?

Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM

doug & all, rubber hammer is exactly right. of course this car had already been done when i got it. i did a few early impalas way back in my dark days. never heard of anyone using 14" slicks. i can't wait to go see max and sit on the fender of his 62 car. RIGHT!! i was talking to an old pontiac drag racer bud yesterday (mike mino) and another name from the past came up. anyone know or remember Bob Maxey?? i'll do some digging and see if i can find some pics. stay on the war path, don

Old 02-20-2004, 04:27 PM

gunna try to post a link. you may need to copy and paste. don

http://www.dragraceresults.com/legends/bobmaxey.html

oh well, somebody tell me how i post a link!!

Old 02-20-2004, 04:28 PM

oh...... that wasn't so hard. enjoy the "clinton shaker". dig the '60 wagon

Old 02-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Don. I was wondering about Mike Mino. I visited the Web site you posted a couple of months ago. Of course the old '60 wagon brought back memories of the Bruiser(Joe Perzan) & Sam Samuels. I lost track of Joe years ago. I think he moved to St Croy.
Don. If you want to go to some Pontiac or NSS races give me shout. I would enjoy the company.I'll even buy the first round of ice cream at Norwalk.

Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series
Midwest Nostalgia Super Stock Association
Do it now fool! Life is short.

60 Ventura 4300# 12.38 @ 108.10 / 1.66 60'

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-21-2004, 10:11 AM

60man, i gave up ice cream years ago but i still do bud light!!!! you driving??? mike mino lives in stafford county in charlie millar's old house. got a nice body shop out back and does insurance work and still messes with racing with his son mikie. i don't think the old man drives it anymore. i talk to him almost weekly. got a door going to him next week. he's still smoking and works about a hundred hours a week. i'd like to go racing with ya if i can find a day off. maybe a sunday someplace near by. mir maybe. i havent seen royce in years. he and i went to high school together you know. keep the squaw warm, don

Old 02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure Don. Buds will work.........
I will miss the first two months or so at start of season due to shoulder surgery next week. I run in the Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series at Mason Dixon in Hagerstown.Also plan to hit Old Dominion just because...I'll drive if you want to ride.I'll call when I can race again and check out your scheulde. Didn't Mike Mino have a light Blue 61 bubble top. Charlie Malar bought a couple of my 60's I had stashed in Fredericksburg.I understand he is trying to get the Joker going.Haven't seen Charlie in a while. He was in with the Thayer's Sinclair group years ago(the 70's).That's where I first him,Joe Perzan and Gene Calhoun.I hear Gene is Prince William County now.
Talk at you soon.I may need some parts......

Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series
Midwest Nostalgia Super Stock Association

60 Ventura 4300# 12.38 @ 108.10 / 1.66 60'

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..