Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks, Bill, I was also wondering what the '61 & up Hurst mounts looked like.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok i'm finally getting back to this. Looking at Larry 60' block pic, looks like if I install a 9/16 and a 1 1/8 " freeze plug on the backside of the cover it's all that should be needed. I still have to remove my old cover to make sure nothing else i'm missing. On the 60 block the larger hole is sealed up by the face of the block but surrounded by a differant style gasket, i'll have to wait and see if this applies to the 66 block. Than just block the water crossover to cover than add in a hose fitting in the crossover. I'm using a 66 gasket.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the cover on for mockup and engine mounts built on my frame. I will go ahead and run an electric fuel pump unless I can find a smaller bodied pump than the stock type one I have now. It hits againt the body of the pump and by the outlet , I would still have to cut away another 1/4" for the outlet hose to fit.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Front mount looks good, Bill. And as old-school as you could get!
My Hurst mount has some "massaging" on it from when I once ran a mechanical pump with it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's what i'm doing with the rear engine mounts, I got a pair of rear engine mounts from speedway and cut them down and modified them to work, alot of grinding than adding in 3/8" or so in at the top with the welder for the top bolt . I still have to build the other side frame support and get them welded in. Than build a rear trans mount support.

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 09-05-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

I have the 55-60 Hurst mount on my 57 engine going into a 34 ford coupe. I'm also using the 57 GMC stick bellhousing with it's rear mounts. That's 4 points so far. I'm using a T-5 transmission that has a center mount provision but I doubt if I'll use it.
I'm wondering if anybody came up with a good mechanical fuel pump solution using the Hurst mount. I haven't got a fuel pump yet to try....later ones work ok? Anybody use one with a 3rd return hose arrangement? I wonder if it would help keep vapor lock from occuring or if I should use a 80s ford 460 truck fuel filter mounted close to the carbs...those have a return hose too and it seems like it'd work better to combat hot-fuel problems as its' very close to the carbs...would keep cool fuel circulating all the way up to the carb inlet. Anybody try this?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fast forward a bit, I repainted my engine again. I'm trying to find some sort of lower hose arrangment , it needs a sharp bend right off the water pump than a few more 90's to get to the radiator. Anyone who has used this provide some insight? I could get some exhaust tubing and have it bent for the middle section? Or build something with some copper pipe? Or maybe just some thicker than exhaust tubing and find someone with a tubing bender? Probably would last longer as well too.

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 06-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 55.2 thru 59 GMC truck with (Pontiac) V8 uses a fairly thin wall copper piece that makes a 90 bend towards the radiator. Short hoses on either end to connect to the water pump and radiator. I don't know if it would bend fast enough to clear that mount. It has a fitting for the return line from the heater in the middle of the bend.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Suspended

I had a similer challenge when i installed a 400/th400 in my 50 pontiac. I had abunch of old radiator hoses laying around so I choped them up into sections and pieced together a hose that would fit the proper contour. when I settled on a set up that worked I brought it to a muffler shop and they bent the same contour into a exauste pipe. I put a short piece of hose on each end with clamps and it worked beautifully for years.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

For my '59 GMC, I didn't have the copper piece that Bill Hanlon described. So I used a section of exhaust tubing (brazed in a heater-return nipple). I've never had a problem with the durability of exhaust tubing used in coolant systems.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, I bent up a piece of preheater tubing and see if I have any luck at the parts store, if not i'll get a little more creative...

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like you could trim a little off the mount on that side to get more clearance if you had to.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hurst mount.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	245912  

Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Suspended

I dont know? I was thinking just the opposite, looks like you might want to add some more beef at those points. Especially since its a narley 301

Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt i'll do any cutting, the red area on the corner in Stuarts post is not where the problem is, it's directly underneath the hose, than all the bends afterwards. The angle of my pics don't really show what i'm dealing with.

I don't know about any 301?

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Suspended

the one in the picture

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I went ahead and trimmed the mount so an easier hose arrangment could be made. The first pic is blurry I just went from the ac to a nice humid garage. Hopefully I'll be able to have this running soon.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I should have used the 60 gasket (actually 55-62) in the first place instead of the 66. I thought the freeze plugs and 66 gasket would work but it leaked. The casting was too rough even with sealer on the freeze plugs, besides once bolted up with the 60 gasket the front of the block sealed up that area. I went ahead and swapped gaskets and no leaks now.

I tried this mount and cover swap also maybe to use as a guide if someone wanted to put a newer engine in a 55-58 just by swapping on a 60 cover. It would at least take care of the front mount.

I have an extra cork seal for the crank hole in the cover and water outlet gaskets if anyone needs them.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Chief

Earlier in this thread I asked "I'm wondering if anybody came up with a good mechanical fuel pump solution using the Hurst mount. I haven't got a fuel pump yet to try...."
Pontiac Jack wrote:"My Hurst mount has some "Massaging" on it from when I once ran a mechanical pump with it"
Bill Eveland wrote:"I will go ahead and run an electric pump unless I can find a smaller bodied pump than the stock one."
And the instruction sheet shown with the Hurst Mount says
"The bottom part of the stock fuel pump can be rotated to position connections away from mount"
Anybody found a pump that will work with the Pontiac into early ford Hurst mount? Pontiac Jack....how much Massaging did you need to do to get your fuel pump to work? Enough to weaken the mount?

Old 08-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually the body of the pump isn't the main concern, even though thats what I said.

My currant pump that I used last is a 67 I believe the the outlet extends 2" past the bottom of the mount which is too close because it's furthur outward and the inlet is furthest outward but at least it's pointing towards the back of the car. That won't even fit without seperating the mount from the cover to get in in.

Something like the one below from out host would be real good if everything pointed a little furthur straight back. It may fit as is. It's got a short outlet and the inlet is more on the engine side. When it gets furthur away from the pump on the bottom it really gets closer to the angled part of the mount.

Maybe a Holley,Carter or RobbMC where the base is adjustable and the fittings on the side and close together would be a good choice as well. Here are a few measurements if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gfe32.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	252568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	252575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	252576  

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 08-05-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Rocky was referring to an old AC pump like this one. You can remove the screws and "clock" it in any direction you want to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fp.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	252580