Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default fuel oil furnace gremlin

Furnace lights and about 8 seconds later goes out and about 3 seconds later comes back on and everything is normal. Earlier there was a contact problem between transformer springs and electrodes but fixed that.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

Mine was similar due to flame detection issue. Photocell cleaned and igniter spacing adjusted…

Old 02-11-2024, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Mine was similar due to flame detection issue. Photocell cleaned and igniter spacing adjusted…
Did that. Think my photo cell takes 45 sec. to not see light and then sends signal to the brain box which shuts down furnace and needs a reset button pushed. Thanks

Old 02-11-2024, 04:30 PM

New identical nozzle and pull the unit to make sure it is clean, especially if it is a flame retention burner. May be time to call a pro.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another possibility:

The pump has some sort of internal check ball to prevent the oil from draining out of the suction tube and back to the tank. If that valve is leaking, the oil suction tube gets some air in it. The first 8 seconds of running is off the residual oil in the pump. 3 seconds of pulling fresh oil from the tank and then away you go.

I've had this before and replacing the pump was the cure.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-18-2024, 11:43 AM

Dirty flame sensor. Lightly run 3m scrubby pad over it to clean.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Another possibility:

The pump has some sort of internal check ball to prevent the oil from draining out of the suction tube and back to the tank. If that valve is leaking, the oil suction tube gets some air in it. The first 8 seconds of running is off the residual oil in the pump. 3 seconds of pulling fresh oil from the tank and then away you go.

I've had this before and replacing the pump was the cure.

Eric
Checked pressure and was down so replaced pump. I have a return line and no check valve in pump. Fixed problem. Glad it wasn't a leak in the supply line that's 3 feet under ground.

The Following User Says Thank You to beemergary For This Useful Post: