WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You basically traded a 71 T/A for a Vette and call yourself a Pontiac guy?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM

I just listed what I considered milestone cars. What makes you think I didn't have other Pontiacs in my stable? BTW, since I drive a chevy pickup must of the time, does that make me a chevy guy?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
In addition to the better V8 and performance (415 HP/415 Torque) you are also getting better suspension, a six-speed manual option not available on the GT, 14" front rotors with Brembo calipers, XM radio, Bluetooth and a few minor interior enhancements. The difference between what I paid for the GT and GXP after all discounts, etc was only about $4,000 and yes, I would call that value.

I cannot overstate this enough that this is the fastest, most powerful production model ever to wear the Pontiac badge. I don't care if it was made in Australia, China, Great Britan, Detroit or where ever...it has a Pontiac badge and it will be the last great car to ever wear that badge. So what if it shows up in China as a Buick - how many thousands of those do you suppose will be made and then how many do you think will wind up on the streets of the USA? I think not many if any at all. How many Stryker Blue Metallic GXPs are there in the USA? Answer: 56! I think that equals value and collector status. How many 71 Judge Convertibles were made: 17. What are they worth now compared to what they cost new? Here's to hoping that this one will be similar to that 20 plus years from now. I didn't buy them just for transportation.

I bought both of these cars because:
A. I like Pontiacs
B. I wanted rare colors
C. I wanted something to leave for my sons so they could someday say: "I remember the day my Dad brought this car home and I still have the window sticker, the build sheet, the dealer sales order, the owner's manaual, the picutures, the brochures, the emails between Dad and the dealer, the original numbers matching drive train, etc. And oh, by the way, it's a Pontiac and they went out of business right after Dad got this car."

There probably are a bunch of folks who bought them for other reasons and the value may very well drop rapidly for a few years - but again, my reasons for buying were for the long-term potential value and by the time that point gets here, I won't really care and my sons will do what they want with the cars. But you know, I doubt that anyone buying 71 Judge Convertibles back in 71 really had any inkling of an idea just how valuable they would be today. Maybe we should ask Gramps - who just won GTOAA Concourse Gold with his Lucy Blue 71 Judge Vert at Co-Vention...he's the original owner and can sure attest to how much his car has appreciated!

That's just my and I certainly respect yours.

Thanks,

BJ

Nice BJ, Nice. My favorite is C. I feel the same way on that one. I'd like to do the same, and still may, but I see the numbers are dwindling..

If you are collecting items for the GXP....do you have the June '08 issue of Motor Trend magazine? Pontiac G8 GXP on the cover. Good read. Been wanting one ever since I bought that magazine last year. I'll get one...eventually.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah sure, let me collect 1990s pennies because in 25 years or so, they'll be really old!
Yeah I suppose Plymouth Prowlers will be worth a fortune too? What about 78 Silver Anniv Vettes? What about Chevy SSR trucks? Who's really looking for Grand Nationals or 89 Turbo T/As? Some people even collected 1981 pace car T/As. How much are they worth now? Even Deloreans - you think they're increasing in demand? For a car built in 2009 to be worth a ton of money, you'll need to wait an absolute minimum of 30 years and even then I have my doubts. Good luck. You buy a G8 for transportation and enjoyment. But don't tell us it's an investment 'cause it ain't.

Last edited by 71 T/A; 07-29-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Senior Chief

"You buy a G8 for transportation and enjoyment. But don't tell us it's an investment 'cause it ain't."
71 T/A,
You are absolutely correct with the above statement. That also holds true for the rest of the late sixties Detroit muscle. Very few have been a good investment. If you have 71 T/A, then I am sure that you get a great deal of enjoyment just looking at it and ROI means nothing to you. I have a 70T/A and I never think of it as a cash cow. It is just a car. But is sure is nice to look at and drive. That's how I feel about the GXP. It's just a car and I am going to drive it.The cows will coming home and I'll be dead for sure before it appreciates, if it ever does. I still say you should go and get one.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
"You buy a G8 for transportation and enjoyment. But don't tell us it's an investment 'cause it ain't."
71 T/A,
You are absolutely correct with the above statement. That also holds true for the rest of the late sixties Detroit muscle. Very few have been a good investment. If you have 71 T/A, then I am sure that you get a great deal of enjoyment just looking at it and ROI means nothing to you. I have a 70T/A and I never think of it as a cash cow. It is just a car. But is sure is nice to look at and drive. That's how I feel about the GXP. It's just a car and I am going to drive it.The cows will coming home and I'll be dead for sure before it appreciates, if it ever does. I still say you should go and get one.

I no longer have the 71 T/A but drive a 69 GTO as a part daily driver along with a Grand Am. I will not buy - NOT EVER - a Pontiac that has a V-8 that is not a Pontiac - not even a 79 T/A if it has the 403 Olds V-8. You can call it what you want, but the G8, while I agree, it is a good car, it has a Chevy-derived V-8. Call it LS-whatever; it's not a Pontiac.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I no longer have the 71 T/A but drive a 69 GTO as a part daily driver along with a Grand Am. I will not buy - NOT EVER - a Pontiac that has a V-8 that is not a Pontiac - not even a 79 T/A if it has the 403 Olds V-8. You can call it what you want, but the G8, while I agree, it is a good car, it has a Chevy-derived V-8. Call it LS-whatever; it's not a Pontiac.
O.K., we know where you stand now and we respect that. Nobody is going to make you buy a G8. Now, please allow us to enjoy what we collectively believe IS a great Pontiac and a car worthy of our attention and mutual admiration. Every one of us has some connection on this board or we wouldn't be posting here. I understand your point of view and I also understand that you disagree with mine and that is O.K. Everything I have posted here is my own personal opinion and is not meant to sway you or anyone else into buying one of these cars. I don't really care what you think about my GXP or my reasons for buying one. You've made your point. You win.

BJ

Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM

AMEN.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great rebate on the G8 right now, $4250. If I'm reading the "clunker cash" right you can only get $3500 because of the gas mileage it gets. 18 mpg. combination.
yes or no ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Maybe we should ask Gramps - who just won GTOAA Concourse Gold with his Lucy Blue 71 Judge Vert at Co-Vention...he's the original owner and can sure attest to how much his car has appreciated!
Just don't ask him how much money he would have today if, instead of buying that smog-mobile GTO and maintaining it all this time (not to mention the restoration costs), he'd have invested it in the equities market for 38 years.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat racer View Post
Great rebate on the G8 right now, $4250. If I'm reading the "clunker cash" right you can only get $3500 because of the gas mileage it gets. 18 mpg. combination.
yes or no ?
As long as you are trading in something with worse MPG than the 18, the way I undertstand it...?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
YAWN... Never have to worry about this again after 2010...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER View Post
YAWN... Never have to worry about this again after 2010...
Unfortunately, that's true. The sad thing is that had Pontiac kept Pontiac V-8s in their cars, most people wouldn't have cared anyways.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BJ,

How do you like your new GXP?

Anyone heard any numbers re: how many left in national inventory or any other incentives coming up to move the remainder? I see a number posted but not sure if its correct: 29.
Thanks..Jeff
Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Anyone seen these yet??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...=p4506.c0.m245

Drool....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a neat one!

To bad Pontiac couldnt have stayed around, tapped the market and built cars like this themselves.
This is a SLP upgrade.

Man, $19,000 for a supercharger and $5,000 for brake upgrade? 135 miles...someone had some fun!

There is a HURST G8 HO I posted about in the HURST thread.
They seem to have same deal, supercharger and brake upgrades. Havent seen prices though.

http://www.hurst-performance.com G8 in photo gallery.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Thanks for posting the link and info...I saw the Firehawk and the "if money were no object thought" went through my head. I bet its a TON of fun...it would be sick with the 6 spd Tremec.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
BJ,

How do you like your new GXP?

Anyone heard any numbers re: how many left in national inventory or any other incentives coming up to move the remainder? I see a number posted but not sure if its correct: 29.
Thanks..Jeff
Jeff:
I love it! Only has about 1,100 miles on it so I'm still breaking it in and considering what mods (if any) I might make. I'll probably just leave it stock and enjoy it as is. There is a huge seat-of-the-pants difference between the 6.0/361 HP in my orange GT and the 6.2/415 HP in the blue GXP. And, the exhaust note on the GXP is much better.

Not sure just how many are left now - there is a thread on the G8 Forum but not sure how accurate it is. Those SLP Firehawk conversions are pretty sweet! They also bought some GXPs to convert as well. One, in particular, was the M6 Stryker Blue Metallic car I found in Fresno, CA. Wish I had been able to get it before SLP found it! It was the last M6 in that color.

BJ

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since Milt started this thread I had better chime in...his G8 GXP Rocks!!!! Milt is a very close friend and our schedules finally allowed us to venture out in his (wife's) GXP. She keeps a close hold on the extra set of keys. :-) It was with great pleasure that we burned copius amounts of fossil fuel in this incredible machine. Very, very surprising that a milestone musclecar of this magnitude could ever get by the bean counters and corporate nay-sayers. In an effort to peel as much rubber as possible from the Summer only tires, this high revver had no problem leaving its rubber calling card all around the local test track (neighborhood.) After the short time behind the wheel I am reminded that only God can make a tree but only man can drive by one that fast.

If you are in the market for an outstanding domestic performance machine this one comes highly recommended. At the very least go test drive one if you can find one and judge for yourself. Enjoy.

Jim
www.racev8s.com
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robertson View Post
Since Milt started this thread I had better chime in...his G8 GXP Rocks!!!! Milt is a very close friend and our schedules finally allowed us to venture out in his (wife's) GXP. She keeps a close hold on the extra set of keys. :-) It was with great pleasure that we burned copius amounts of fossil fuel in this incredible machine. Very, very surprising that a milestone musclecar of this magnitude could ever get by the bean counters and corporate nay-sayers. In an effort to peel as much rubber as possible from the Summer only tires, this high revver had no problem leaving its rubber calling card all around the local test track (neighborhood.) After the short time behind the wheel I am reminded that only God can make a tree but only man can drive by one that fast.

If you are in the market for an outstanding domestic performance machine this one comes highly recommended. At the very least go test drive one if you can find one and judge for yourself. Enjoy.

Jim
www.racev8s.com
Lets add some fuel to the fire.
71 T/A, read it and wheep. Oh I forgot it's not a Pontiac. LOL......