Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Default 64 gto production figures

Does anybody know the production figures for a 64 hardtop 2237 4 speed tripower ? Thank you.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to VergeGTO

There are plenty of sites which list the production numbers.
http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/stats...1964&f1=popgto
So there were 18,422 hardtops made in 64.
http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/stats...f1=dtenginepop
Also, there were 8,245 (of the total built) that were tri-powers.
But I feel your pain, it would be nice to know how many trips were part of that 18,422. And it would be nice to know of any other subsets you could abstract in order to see how many of "your" car existed.
Does anyone have figures which brings things down to a much more granular level?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the 1964 Tempest Engine Production numbers:
78X 389 4bbl manual trans - 15,230
79J 389 4bbl auto trans - 6,712
76X 389 3x2bbl man trans - 7,552
77J 389 3x2bbl auto trans - 693
Total 389ci production - 30,187
Keep in mind that these figures represent all enigne units, both installed production units and service replacement units.

The first thing that strikes me about these figures is that the totals don't even come close to the published production figures (32,450) for the GTO option.

The second thing that I notice is that the m.t. to a.t. ratio is so biased towards the 3 & 4 speed manual transmission. The disparity in the tri-power application is really apparent; nearly 10:1.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Were did you get this informaion from?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting.

I have questioned the reliability of the Total '64 GTO Production Figures in the past.

They are widely listed in many references, but where those figures were originally gleaned from and by whom, I have never heard.

I have wondered if perhaps the published Production Nos. are actually 1964 Calendar Year Sales Volume rather than Model Year totals.

It is not unusual for GM to publish sales volume based on Calendar Year. Somebody misinterpreting sales figures could have established the 32,450 '64 Model Year no. erroneously.

That could mean that '64 GTOs sold (not just produced) in 1963 are not included, but a larger quantity of '65 GTOs sold in 1964 are included since you can bet PMD sold a lot more '65 GTOs in late 1964 than they sold '64 GTOs in late 1963.

If those Engine Production tallies are accurate, my speculation could account for the discrepancy.

Then again, we'd have to be sure the Engine Production tallies are for the entire Model Year. One thing I will claim, the PMD Engine Assembly Plant didn't generally produce complete Engine Assemblies for Service Replacement (Warranty or otherwise) use. If the Engine was assigned and stamped with a Manifest Engine Code, it was intended for final production. However, I cannot claim that every completed Engine Assembly got installed in a car that was built and sold. And if there were leftover Engine Assemblies at model year end, I do not know what PMD would have done with them.

It would be a monumental task to sift thru 1964 VIN records to get an accurate accounting of the no. of GTOs actually sold and that assumes that no VIN records are missing.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"It would be a monumental task to sift thru 1964 VIN records to get an accurate accounting of the no. of GTOs actually sold and that assumes that no VIN records are missing."

Boy, is that ever the truth.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.