THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Supposedly all the car needs is a clean up and it’ll be ready for pick up Wed, Thurs or Friday after Christmas.
That is great news, I hope the repairs meet your expectations.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to avoid these type topics but since you are FINALLY getting it back I'm sure it goes without saying.
However I will say it, DO NOT sign off until you have reviewed, test driven and reviewed again every inch of your car.
Even things that did not need repair and should not have been touched.
I might even suggest you call your so called insurance and have them send a rep to be on site,
as you review YOUR car so as to witness and record any/all findings both good and/or bad.

I wish you all the BEST and hope it comes to an end in a satisfactory manor.
I respect your patients with this matter, you are a better man then I in this situation.

Cheers.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I respect your patients with this matter, you are a better man then I in this situation.

Cheers.
Two years! Yup, he's a better man than I as well!

Best of luck with it, David.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 12-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I try to avoid these type topics but since you are FINALLY getting it back I'm sure it goes without saying.
However I will say it, DO NOT sign off until you have reviewed, test driven and reviewed again every inch of your car.
Even things that did not need repair and should not have been touched.
I might even suggest you call your so called insurance and have them send a rep to be on site,
as you review YOUR car so as to witness and record any/all findings both good and/or bad.

I wish you all the BEST and hope it comes to an end in a satisfactory manor.

Cheers.
Bettah yet , bring your Attorney and the Insurance Rep to inspect the car....LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Supposedly all the car needs is a clean up and it’ll be ready for pick up Wed, Thurs or Friday after Christmas.
Congrats....Merry Christmas !!

Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I really hope this has a happy ending.

As others have said, go over it very detailed. I blemish in the paint will be very easy for them to fix, but could cost you a couple grand and put you right back where you are.

I have a very good relationships with the two guys that paint my cars. I am always excited to get them back and I always, always find something later. I have the opportunity to take it back after it’s put together and they will touch up anything that needs it. I’m not sure you are going to have that luxury.

One last point- this was probably a hefty bill and it is probably not coincidence that it is getting billed before the end of the year. If you do find something that needs fixed (and again I hope like hell that you don’t) they will most likely try to complete the paperwork, get you to sign off on it and bring it back at a later date because ‘it’s no problem to touch up the little spots. DO NOT sign off for them to get paid until it’s all complete. You will have zero leverage if they have been paid in full already.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't stopped in and seen the car since they had you okay the color last summer or you wouldn't have used "supposedly". I hope you are not disappointed and you use all the useful advice offered here by the others.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great news, good luck, hope it came out perfect, keep the faith!

Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Merry Christmas David!

Old 12-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope all goes well David!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Off topic but Important just the same......

David no matter how it looks it's not all that bad. The reason I'm saying this is....

Last night, Christmas Eve, after my stepdaughter's husband Frank finished work at 4:30pm, he was in a head-on accident 2 miles from where he works at a prison outside of West Chester, PA just off of RT 52. He got to the new traffic circle south of the prison and got on 52 heading south to go home. About a quarter of a mile on 52 south from the circle he met a coworker going north to work at the same prison..... yeah they know each other. The guy going to work was late and speeding, doing 70mph and lost it. He went off his side of the road into the ditch and back across hitting Frank's Mazda mid size sedan almost head on [I can't remember the model]. Both cars are completely totaled. They had to cut the guy going to work out of his car.

It gets even better.... they both lived, with minor cuts and bruises. Frank had cuts on his knees from sliding into the dash... and the dash being pushed back into the passenger's compartment from the engine breaking loose. His right arm is pretty sore, as is his chest from the airbag going off, and nothing broken. All in fact went off from the impact of about 125 mph. The other guy wasn't wearing his seatbelt and ended up on the passenger side floor. They had to cut his VW Golf, or Jetta, all apart to get him out. And to top it off they both walked away from the crash.... but still went to the hospital for tests.

So no matter how you feel David, and I'm not making fun of the damage to your GTO, but it's only minor. it can be fixed. You were the lucky one on the damage end. We were the lucky ones that Frank is still with us. But he'll whine and whine about it for a long time. God helped him, but God, please help us too. Yes, he is a whine a$$.

Merry Christmas to you and the family.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 12-25-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car is ready. Unfortunately I’m at the ER with my mom for the second time in 2 days. She broke her left humerous last night and they sent her home, which is an independent living apt...so I took her to my house. Today it appears she has a broken left wrist. From last nights fall? She has vascular dementia and is basically blind. I believe she has more issues that they’re missing.
Car next week....

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, I’m glad to hear about your car and sorry to hear about your Mom. My Dad has dementia also. I can relate. It sounds like you are there for her. That’s all you can do.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
David, I’m glad to hear about your car and sorry to hear about your Mom. My Dad has dementia also. I can relate. It sounds like you are there for her. That’s all you can do.
It’s been as hard a thing as I’ve ever been a part of. For well over a year I’ve been helping her with breakfast at her house and now “the home”. At least 6 days a week. Keeping up with sitters. Trips to the doctor. Lately she’s been, well, mean as hell. God bless anybody that’s been a caregiver with this type of disease.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mom is more important than the car. You've been waiting a long time for the car and the car doesn't "need" you right now.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 w Champ.

Thoughts for you and mom.

I bet your car is great.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car is home. Door gaps on the driver side are poor. The aftermarket skin was apparently designed by the blind. The rest of the car is absolutely spectacular. As soon as I walked toward the car to drive it home it started raining. The wipers actually work. I’ve used them now twice in nearly 20 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3816ED30-2105-49EE-88F8-98A984D56632.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	501586  

Last edited by David Jones; 01-02-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks good!

Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great from here. Good to hear it's back in one piece at least, and road ready. Remember, it could have been a lot worse. You were lucky.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m sure it’s nice to have your ‘baby’ home after this ordeal.Looks like the green came out awesome!