Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Default 64 gto shifter hitting the seat

Installed a Pete Serio repo shifter and now 2nd & 4th the round shifter ball hits the seat. I have the original alum.spacer plate even with it foreword in the slot it still touches, orig. motor and trans. new motor mounts and trans mount which fit perfect.round shift handle does not touch original console no plastic insert . He supplied me with the long bend shifter,not the one with the slight bend. Says he has never seen this before. I also have a 1965 gto w/automatic and the console is mounted in the same place. This to me is the wrong shifter,as all cars with bench seat seem to take the long bend shifter. he says this is correct. Tel.# 267 252 6990

Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try adjusting the shifting rods for the forward gears so the shifter lever is further forward? To do this, you would have to adjust them so the threaded end has less theads showing. I'm sure you can adjust them to cure your problem. After you determine where you want the shifter lever located when in 2nd or 4th, synchronize both rods so the shifter works right and adjust the reverse rod to suit the other two.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

you can also adjust the whole shifter housing for and aft via the top shifter mounting bolt (i.e. the big one in the middle). so move the housing forward a bit, then do as dick says above.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Pete seems to think the arms that the threaded linkage could use some tweeking, i am sending it back and i know he will correct this issue.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the arms are all adjusted by lengthening, you would then be able to rotate the shifter so the bottom rear goes upward, and that would move the shift arm position in 2nd and 4th forwards. If you go too far, you will bang knuckles on the dash bottom in third.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Suspended

I am about 6" from the dash when in 1st or 3rd . I threaded the rods out 5 turns each, then i went 5 more, now i cannot get reverse. It did bring the shifter knob about 1 1/2" ahead of the seat when in 2nd or 4th. Bot now no reverse. I think the ark in the shifter handle is to much and the levers look longer than a competition plus that i had in it before. i think i will have to send it back to Pete Serio.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can we see a picture of the rods you have and the shifter?