THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose you could always make one out of wood.

Would be a little heavier. But hey, as light as the saws are, it could still be carried in one hand.

There are all sorts of plastic storage boxes that are plenty big, and less than $20. Again, because of the light weight, the box doesn't have to be heavy duty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-64Qt...9Y06/310918149

https://www.target.com/p/hefty-18gal...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pla...00005323928058

How about a 10 gallon trash can, with lid ?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-26-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After considering lots of storage options, SO FAR, I like the stackable 15 gallon tubs. They appear to have enuff room inside for a saw, the detached bar/chain, possibly extra bars/chains, batteries, a charger, wedges, and ???

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15...oduct-overview

I could keep all our saws in one stack, which would take up lots less floor space in the little storage building.

Easy to throw 'em in the back of the pickup or throw a couple in the loader bucket & take off to the woods. And you'd have all the stuff for each saw right there with the saw.

They obviously come in different sizes & styles.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-1...Lid/1000198647

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-12-G...oduct-overview

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-26-2020 at 10:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After more searching, looks like HD made a big volume purchase of this 27 gallon size. Price is $7.98. Our small saws will fit in these with the bar/chain on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-G...oduct-overview

We'll be close to HD & Lowes today. Was gonna check out some containers. BUT, looks like HD, Lowes, Target, & even Wal Mart are all closed.

Didn't find any decent shipped prices. I assume the shipping is too high because of the bulk.

But, we'll check some out next time we're near Lowes or HD.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those Husky Tubs look and sound Great !
Very detailed description given on them too covering all the bases.
They show 9 at my nearest store (30 mins away)

With all these saws in one place, the stack-ability of toolboxes or tubs is definitely needed. I'm leaning towards the one-hand carry feature of the toolboxes to start with. A strong tub to store all the chargers and batteries will be perfect.

Forgot all about needing a case for the Hedger too.
Will have to do some cardboard box experiments to see what i can get by with for that one.
money money money ... dammit

Old 11-26-2020, 01:57 PM

EGo makes a chain saw bag for only $80 bucks!!!

I think I've got some plastic cases from some older gas saws I have sitting around. Have to check and see if I can repurpose those or hop on one of those plastic cases and modify it.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
EGo makes a chain saw bag for only $80 bucks!!!
Don't laugh
$80 is the Friend Price
Have seen them listed for $100-120

maybe they come with a bonus 2.5Ah battery shipped with them
idunno

Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Black Friday @ Lowes

Craftsman 20volt 4Ah Batteries 2 for $99 (half price)
Dewalt 20volt 3Ah Batteries 2 for $99
Dewalt 20volt 4Ah Batteries 2 for $ i forgot, maybe $125

Didn't see anything else listed of interest

Old 11-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kobalt 80Volt Pole Saw is $30 off [$249 vs 279] until Dec 2 @ Lowes
About 11% discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Have been watching for the Kobalt 80V power pole saw but it seems to be out o stock. At 6 lbs lighter than my 25 yr old Echo power pole saw, plus an extra 3 ft reach
There is conspiracy going on with these Pole Saws everywhere
When they say "14 feet Reach" that is assuming a 6 ft man holding it at chest height.
Majority of them are using this catch-phrase
They actually range to about 9ft fully extended on most all of them.

I'm looking into buying a battery/cordless pole saw now, myself.
Wanting to stay in or under the $150 range, with a 4Ah minimum battery included.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lowes just added the 16" EGO Chainsaw to their website.
$299 just like everywhere else.
But if someone had the LowesCard and the 20% Coupon, that would make it a real nice price.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Went Shopping

Decided to go to Monroe/West Monroe & pick up a few things.

At HD, I bought the 15 & 25 gal Husky storage boxes, plus one of the cheap $7.98 boxes. The lid on the cheap box actually feels stronger than the Husky lid.

The handles are completely different. They had a big display of the cheap boxes up near the checkout area. I thought maybe they were out of the 15 gal Husky boxes, since the shelves were empty.

But, I looked way up on the very top of the shelving & there were probably a dozen in a stack. Had to get a guy with the hyd lift to get 'em down for me. He asked how many I wanted. I said, "Well, I just want one today. But while you're up there, you may as well bring the whole stack down. Somebody else may want one & it'll save you a trip back up there.".

The Dewalt 12" is a perfect fit in the 15 gal Husky box. The Kobalt 12" is ALMOST a perfect fit, in the cheap box. The WEN will only fit in the big Husky box, with the bar cover off. Later on, I may put a shorter bar on the WEN. I think a 14" would be perfect.

They had larger boxes. But they looked like bathtubs. We'll do some more thinkin, before buying one of those. To fit the 80v Kobalt in one of the smaller boxes, I'd have to either cut a hole for the bar to stick out, or remove the bar/chain. Since we won't be using the 80v very often, I'm thinkin maybe just remove the bar/chain, & leave that box on the bottom of the stack. Don't take long to remove or replace.

Another idea is to buy one of the bigger boxes & store the 80v Kobalt, along with all the other chainsaw related stuff we don't wanna keep in the house, or loose in the storage building. That box will stay in the storage building, & we'll just take out the saw and/or whatever we need for the day's job. The other boxes are small enuff & light enuff to just throw the whole thing in the truck, or a couple of 'em in the tractor bucket & take off. Could store an extra bar & chain for each saw, in it's own box.

Wouldn't hurt to have some plastic wedges in each box. After watching lots of videos, I can see how handy, even necessary, they are. Not only helps cuttin down a tree, but can help prevent a pinch, in lots of other situations.

One thing I may try is to make some hinges for the box lids. Looks like some heavy duty zip ties, thru the existing slots, will make good hinges. Probably several other possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB1 - Stackers .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	554961   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB2 - 2 Brands .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	554962   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB3 - Perfect Fit .jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	554964   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB4 - Almost Perfect .jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	554965   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB5 - Fits Barely .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	554966  

Old 11-28-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Make One ?

Hey, I might try this !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcutY-CNgAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPpJO2fWQw

Can at least cut a hole for the bar/chain/cover of my 80v Kobalt, in one of the small Husky storage boxes. Cheaper than buying a tool box. I really have no idea of the price of a decent tool box, big enuff to hold a saw body.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-T...oduct-overview

And, how about making a bar cover from a piece of 2" PVC pipe ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO0Byy1QFY8&t=9s

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-28-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This one MIGHT be big enuff to carry the 12" Dewalt, inside, with the blade on. It's only 24" overall. Sometimes the inside dimensions are not given & are quite a bit smaller than the outside numbers that are posted.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...oduct-overview

Old 11-29-2020, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are some good looking totes.
They were sold out of all those at the HDepot i went to tonight.

Quote:
I really have no idea of the price of a decent tool box, big enuff to hold a saw body.
The $15 / 22" Husky Toolbox was delivered today.
Haven't done a fitting yet, but it looks like even the Kobalt will fit in one (w/o bar ~ or with a hole for the bar)

Bought a $9.99 / 19" HD OrangeToolbox to see what might fit in it since it's $5 cheaper.

They had the $5 ECHO Orange bar covers/scabbards on BlkFri for $3.70 each.
Got one.

The 18+volt Ryobi PoleSaw was on BlkFri @ $68 -Tool Only
Decided to go get one of them and check it out.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...0BTL/304598941

I've already got a real good 4Ah+ Ryobi Batt & Charger already for my garbage-can contractor kit.
They had the $89 3Ah+HP Batt on BlkFri for $49 so i got one of them too in case i decide to keep the pole saw.

The $150 Craftsman 20v PoleSaw doesn't seem to be extremely great for it's price.
If it hits secret squirrel clearance it could be a prospect depending on that price.

There is a Westinghouse 20v 4Ah that seems like a winner for around $130 - but no one has them left in stock anywhere. Must be waiting for a slowboat from China to pull in with more of them.

For those of you who are already set up with DeWalt 20v Power , there are some places selling the DeWalt PoleSaw as Tool-Only for right under $100 on sale.
Thats a Deal

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 11-29-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who don't mind spending $30 for a box, this Fatmax should hold a 12" saw, inside. HD made a mistake on the length. It should be 27.3" rather than the 17.3" they listed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...001L/100624569

https://www.stanleytools.com/product...oolbox/028001l

Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I check the price on the EGO saws most every day. Thought I'd found a great deal on a brand new CS1804. Should have known better.

It's listed as an 1804, has a charger, but it does NOT included the batt. So, it's actually a CS1800 plus a charger, NOT a CS1804 package.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGO-CS1804-...75.c1#viTabs_0

This reminds me of an observation I've already made in this thread. Lots of guys are buying the EGO package deal, then either keeping the batt, or separating & selling the parts. Because the batteries are so high when bought separately, & in high demand, there is profit to be made, if you can sell all the parts. Also a way to get a batt cheaper, if you can sell the saw & charger.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Thought I'd found a great deal on a brand new CS1804.
Don't feel too bad, a seller on eBay had a 14" EGO "Open Box ~ Tool Only" for $110 plus $17 shipping.
While i shuffled my feet and tried to make up my mind doing a few other things - it was sold when i came back inside to buy it.
Decided i was going return the 12" Craftsman and replace it with a 14" EGO

And furthermore, got a $10 off promo code from ACME Tools
Turns out one of the exclusions is it can't be used towards any EGO products.

I'm going to call ACME and see if they possibly can sell a refurbished 14" as a Tool Only deal.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...I'm going to call ACME and see if they possibly can sell a refurbished 14" as a Tool Only deal..."

How about this. You buy the refurb CS1400 for $179, from Acme. Then, since you don't want the batt & charger, you sell me the batt & charger for $50. That way you get the saw for $129 plus whatever the tax is on $179, & I get a batt & charger, cheap.

Then, later on, after I save up a little, I can buy a CS1800, bare. That'll give me a working 18" EGO for about $50 less than a new CS1804 package. And, with the 2.5Ah batt, it'll be lighter than with the heavier batt. That batt will have more than enuff to power thru any job I'll be using the 1800 for.

After yesterday's shopping spree, I'll have to wait for Christmas cash, before I can buy anything else.

Hey, even better for you, you can do like the other guys are doing & sell the batt & charger for the retail price most are going for.

I'd thought about trying to find a batt & charger, cheap enuff so that I could save some as opposed to buying the CS1804 package. BUT, most decent batt/charger options will cost MORE than buying the new package.

You'd think there would be plenty of the older 2.5's which didn't have the fuel gauge, that would be for sale, cheap. But, that ain't the case. This EGO stuff is really in high demand nowadays. So, I probably just need to forget about it 'til I come into a few extra bucks.

Maybe the incoming pres will send out some more plague relief money. IF they win the 2 senate seats in GA, they'll probably send out LOTS of money, quick.

I've got some Pontiac stuff I'd love to sell. But, there is no market for Pontiac stuff in my area & the shipping is too high for long distance sales. And besides that, Pontiac guys with money to spend insist on dirt cheap prices, or they just don't buy. I suppose that's why so many Pontiac guys have garages & storage buildings full of Pontiac stuff they'll probably never use or sell. But hey, they bought it cheap ! That's all that counts, right ?

Anyhow, as of right now(and things can change), I plan to have a working 18" EGO, before Spring.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-29-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Decided I'd do some rearranging of saws in the boxes I bought, just to see what's possible.

This 1st pic shows both 12" saws, with bars on, in the big Husky box. Plenty of room, plus some for extra stuff. We usually take both saws for most projects. So, we could just take this whole box.

2nd pic shows the WEN, in the small Husky box. Plenty of room, with bar off. If placed diagonally, with bar on, there would only need to be aprox 6" of bar outside the box. This would be cheaper than buying a $30 tool box & having lots more bar outside the box.

3rd pic shows the 80v & the new 40v, in the $7.98 box. Again, if the 80v was placed diagonally, there would only need to be a little over 6" of bar outside the box. Or, you could leave it to one side & let more bar stick out. Could even use a smaller box, that would be just long enuff for the saw body, & let most of the bar stick out.

A small side grinder should make a suitable slot in the box, for the bar/cover. Dremel tool should also do it, easily. There are obviously other ways to cut the needed slot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB6 - Two 12 Inchers .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	555041   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB7 - WEN in Small Box .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	555043   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB8 - 80v & 40v .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	555044  

Old 11-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's some other possible arrangements.

1st pic is the WEN & the new 40v, with bars off, in the small Husky box.

2nd pic is the WEN, new 40v, & the 80v, with bars off, in the cheap box.

3rd pic is same as the 2nd pic, but with the 12" Dewalt, with bar on, also in the box. So, that's 4 saws in the $7.98 box.

Hey, it's just a few possibilities. Rained all night & most of the day here. Also cold & windy. Not much that could be done, outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SB9 - WEN & 40v .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	555045   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB10 - WEN & 40v & 80v .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	555046   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB11 - 4 in 7.98 Box .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	555047  

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-29-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a helluva lotta LumberJacking you can fit in One Box !
Those tubs should really work great for you guys
And save a lot of money with them too.