The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk floor panels

Who sells the best trunk floor panels for the best price? I need some pieces to make patches in my 67 GTO trunk as well as the rear deck panel and lower fender patches. Im trying to find the best product for the best price like everyone else.
Thank you.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Iv always been impressed with Tamraz's, everything comes boxed real nice and fast delivery. I recently did a trunk on a 70 gto, the fit wasn't as good as the one I did on a 68 gto using a tamraz, the 70 gto was an ames trunk pan, the un-primed pans people thought were better. They were not in my opinion. Hope this helps

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM

I only know about the 70 trunk... and for me it took 4 tries to get the good one.

They all sell the same thing btw. Tamaraz is just another vendor. They sell the same parts as here. Look at my posts about my trials.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO View Post
Iv always been impressed with Tamraz's, everything comes boxed real nice and fast delivery. I recently did a trunk on a 70 gto, the fit wasn't as good as the one I did on a 68 gto using a tamraz, the 70 gto was an ames trunk pan, the un-primed pans people thought were better. They were not in my opinion. Hope this helps
Any chance you measured the thickness between the EDP coated parts (Taiwan) compared to the bare steel (made in the USA)?

Its been said there is a 1 gauge difference between the two,how could that be,the pans are made from 20ga steel,so the overseas would have to be 21ga. The next steel thickness i know of is 22 ga.

Last edited by gene simmons; 03-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM

the stuff I got was all kinds of thickness.

the full pan was much thinner than stock (edp) Taiwan from summit and I returned, stamping was crap.

the non edp coated spectre stuff(2 piece) was way thicker and crap(usa made).

next edp coated was correct thickness but unusable

final 3 piece edp coated was the same as stock and a great stamping.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene simmons View Post
Any chance you measured the thickness between the EDP coated parts (Taiwan) compared to the bare steel (made in the USA)?

Its been said there is a 1 gauge difference between the two,how could that be,the pans are made from 20ga steel,so the overseas would have to be 21ga. The next steel thickness i know of is 22 ga.
Like I said in my opinion the tamraz edp coated panels fit best, the braces were real nice too.
I wouldn't worry about the thickness of these panels, they get welded to the braces anyway, not to mention coated with trunk coating. Its not like people haul heavy stuff in the trunk of their classic car , I know I don't.

Once welded they were solid as can be. Also remember when steel gets stamped the metal will develop thin areas from the stamping process itself. From what Iv seen all these panels may need a little working around the wheelwell areas, some simple relief cuts will allow it to close the gaps , the panels overlap eachother so they can be moved around outward etc until you are happy with the gaps.

Weld the seam, grind it flat then apply a thin coat of allmetal aluminum filler to smooth out where the grinding of the seam took place.
Hope this helps..

here is a link to my restoration thread with pictures of the Ames trunk pan install, I got yhe sides to fit nice after some relief cuts then moved them outward about a 1/4'' each side

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...oration&page=2

Last edited by GREATGTO; 03-06-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been speaking to a py member in Canada about his trunk floor which was from Tamraz and he was happy with it. I bought my gas tank from them and it was perfect. Thank you for all the input.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do they sell just the single panels for the trunk floor? I went to their ebay store last night but do not see all the individual pieces for sale separately. I do not need the whole thing just up front on the right side and 3/4 of the left. I have to buy the center only because the left damage is right on the very edge of the center piece. My trunk was repaired by someone probably 20 yrs ago and they just used flat sheet metal and some snotty nasty welds that have rusted over time. I already have the front body mount braces and gas tank strap supports.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tamraz? Doesn't even have a store. he sells Parts Place stuff. Period. He makes nothing. Support Performance Years. They all sell the same stuff... Tamraz? Seriously? I won't go on... but I could!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They have an ebay store. I was planning on py, just dont feel comfortable buying stuff like that without being able to talk to soneone on the phone about about it. PY has more of a choice also to buy just what I want and Ive ordered from them before and they throw it on the truck for Englishtown and save me the shipping cost which on these trunk pieces can get pricey.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Default parts

Thepartsplaceinc.com I have bought stuff from many differnet places and i will only use the parts place . They are very picky about what they sell. And they make a lot of there own stuff. They are west of Chicago. Very fast shipping. I go through a lot of materials in a year .

Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Thepartsplaceinc.com I have bought stuff from many differnet places and i will only use the parts place . They are very picky about what they sell. And they make a lot of there own stuff. They are west of Chicago. Very fast shipping. I go through a lot of materials in a year .
Couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. We all are entitled to opinions. Maybe we should all go over to the Pontiac forums on the parts places website? Oh yeah they don't have any. I always enjoy the Parts Place Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk every year... wait, that's Ames. Well I am grateful that the parts place brings all of those little detail items that no one else makes to every pontiac show or swap meet... hmmm, I guess that's actually Inline Tube.

I just firmly believe in taking care of those that take of you.

These guys all sell each others parts... across the board,

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Im going to stick with PY. I believe in staying loyal to those who do right by me and so far they have been great.They have been great in the past with everything I have purchased. They have been great at swap meet time when they go to Englishtown and saved me shipping money with some big items I have purchased like my Pypes full system which they then swapped the following swap meet with me for the larger size so they saved me shipping twice there.
Thank you all for your input.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 AM

Default parts

I don't own a body shop like Paul. Just my own little paint room i built when i built my house . So i don't do a lot of production. Just friends and family. And i only spend about 20 to 25 thousand a year with the parts place . I only recommended them because i have never had a problem with them. I have bought some stuff from year one. There more expensive. I just finished a 56 corvette And bought most of the stuff from corvette America. I will say they had the worst seat material i have ever seen. Good thing my best friend has been doing upholstery for 35 years and fixed everything for me. I loaded a pic of the car i just finished but i don't know if it will work. I have it as my desk top photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Live Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	316012  

Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate the color but it looks like great work!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 AM

That's what everyone sais. But it grew on me. It's the original color. The car was red. But after i got it apart we found the green. So the guy wanted it original. But thanks for the comment.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 AM
Senior Chief

Nice job griffin, I would be proud to own that machine or to have done the resto work.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM

thanks bud.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like the color, it's different, not run of the mill

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSBACK View Post
I think Im going to stick with PY. I believe in staying loyal to those who do right by me and so far they have been great.They have been great in the past with everything I have purchased. They have been great at swap meet time when they go to Englishtown and saved me shipping money with some big items I have purchased like my Pypes full system which they then swapped the following swap meet with me for the larger size so they saved me shipping twice there.
Thank you all for your input.
Bill, did you ever consider stopping over at PY to look at what you need? They shouldn't be that far from you. I don't know if they are open on Saturday yet.

TOM