Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the physical distributor built and assembled well?

Old 11-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Sounds like a great product as long as it turns out to be reliable but I can't justify the price for me $529.00 is a serious chunk of change for a distributor when I already have one that works great.
WOW! I did not realize those things were that pricey.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 12-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just subscribing here, as I have been considering a new distributor- not that I NEED one, but would like better firewall clearance vs my HEI and the ability to pinpoint timing curves is attractive.

Please keep us posted on your success or lack of with this distributor!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 12-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I rec’d my Pro Ignition HEI distributor a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I noticed is how well built it was, even the distributor cap was unlike any I have every purchased over the decades. The install was straight forward and relatively simple, quickly fired right up and live timing table was bang on compared to the timing light.

Generating a timing table is fast and easy however I want to utilize the full potential of my specific engine combo so I have been spending a lot of time trying to understand tuning with a timing table. I was already setup to log other data such as TPS, RPM, MAP and AFR in addition I did a screen recording (iPhone)of the Pro Ignition live table of all driving ranges from idle in neutral, idle in drive, tip-in, super slow cruise......all the way up to WOT.

With above info I was able to map the data points on a paper graph that mimicked the Pro Ign table. From there I was able to create a custom table that should (in theory anyway) work very well for my setup but will have to wait until spring because winter has set in here.

I also generated a Cold Start table because I have an open carb venturi with no choke, the table has timing at 30* everywhere except initial cranking startup which is 10*. Tested this out several times and it works great, couple pedal pumps of gas turn the key, engine starts and runs on it’s own without having me baby sit the throttle until it warms up.

I can do things on this distributor that were not possible with a mechanical version such as setting neutral idle timing lower than timing in drive so now the rpm drop from Park to Drive is much less and way smoother and it maintains the cooling efficiency from additional timing in Drive when siting in traffic.

In my opinion this distributor is of excellent quality and value and is not over priced (fyi , I have no clue who any of these guys are at Progression Ignition).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DE3527A-3136-4DB4-AFF0-5FF5C90997D3.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	555711   Click image for larger version

Name:	1D7EC2A1-8388-450C-AA30-A8B9D2848A2F.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	555714  

The Following User Says Thank You to Formula jg For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
WOW! I did not realize those things were that pricey.
Yeah they're kind of pricey. An MSD ready-to-run is $480 though and relies on mechanical advance. So maybe not that out of line. I wonder who makes the distributor for the Progression Ignition.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don’t suppose I could prompt a revival of this thread with any updates. I recently discovered these units and although I can’t yet place it in the “need” category I’d really like to have one someday and am curious as to long(er) use opinions

Old 08-20-2021, 09:41 AM

Sure! Since starting this thread and writing the article, I'd hoped to be able to report more but haven't been able to. Suffice to say that, since installation, ignition has not been a problem. The "disable/enable" function works perfectly and I think it ought to qualify for an anti theft discount on your insurance policy. I haven't had much opportunity to play with different tables yet as my GTO has been plagued with fuel delivery issues all summer to the point that I'm installing a Holley Sniper QuadraJet EFI unit. Once that's done, I'll be better able to report on the tuning ability that this distributor makes possible.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I really want one of these. Just not sure I can justify it ….. yet

Old 08-20-2021, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the anti theft and insurance discount I tried that years ago and it didn't apply then with 2 different insurance companies. Maybe things have changed and I should try again.....

My MSD box has the ability to disable, I just turn a dial on it and it won't fire.

Old 08-14-2022, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hello,

I am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow. I am not an ignition expert. If anyone would share a good timing table with me, that would be appreciated.

My email is: wbnapier@yahoo.com

I have a 91 octane pump gas 455/469, #48 heads, '65 tri-power, with a stump puller cam.

I'm looking forward to trying this.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 03-01-2023, 10:55 AM

Hi Folks,
Just a quick update. I have a new website and host for it as well, so any links to PDFs I previously posted will no longer work. All of my articles will now be located on the "Projects" page at www.LJKLusza.net. Please PM me if you have any difficulties and I'll get it fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

I'll add that I've had my heart set on a Progression Ignition system for my 70 Roadrunner 440 6bbl, and the 572 stroker I will have in the future.
There is NO ignition system for carbureated engines that comes close to the capabilities of the Progression Ignition.
The new "Racing" options add N²O timing retard, LAUNCH CONTROL, and DATA LOGGING. Just the original features were enough to have me sold, but I was waiting for the smaller diameter version. That became available in January of 2022, but when I asked about Nitrous retard and 2-step REV LIMITER launch control, I learned that was in development. Well now I'm finally getting one.
Anyone who wants the "racing" options can send their distributor in for an upgrade. Check with Progression for cost and procedure.
I AM STOKED, and while I haven't had ANY problems with the Pertronix Flame Thrower 3 billet aluminum distributor system in our 421 Tripower GTO, I may get the Progression for it too!

Old 06-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did they cure the issue of not being able to run a factory tach? That was one of the problems early on and haven't heard anything about it since.

Just for the record there are boxes out there that offer 2 steps (launch control) and data logging as well as timing retard for N20, timing start retard, electronic ignition programming etc.... MSD and a couple other brands have boxes that do all of the above.

In fact I run a digital 6 that has 2 step, timing retard for n20, timing start retard, soft touch rev limiter, and the ability to turn it off so the car won't start like so many people like on the Progessive (anti theft) The only thing I don't have on the list with this box (it's 25 years old) is the ability to electronically tune the timing curve, but they have boxes that do that now as well.

Old 06-15-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLusza View Post
Hi Folks,

To my knowledge, no one I know of has actually tried one of the electronic distributors from Progression Ignition. These are the ones that you you can program via Bluetooth from your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet.

Long story short, I found myself in need of a new distributor and took the plunge, documenting the experience along the way. Instead of a long post and many pictures, I wrote it up as a PDF document. At almost 1.5MB, it's too big too upload here, so I have it available from my family web site I'm working on.

Here's the link: Progression Ignition PDF

I hope people find it helpful. Stay Safe.
Hi All,

To anyone trying to get any of the documents I've previously posted, I apologize for the broken links. I was almost finished with the website updates and real life happened. Anyway, the new site is finally up and running. The site is publicly available and there's nothing private on it so feel free to visit and poke around if you like. https://www.LJKLusza.net

Some of the new features it made available for me is consolidation of all the PDFs I've posted in one place, as well as the ability to put up a blog. The PDFs are under the "Projects" tab. The blog is the blog and I also have some photo galleries for the GTO as well as the '38 Chevy street rod I sold to help acquire GTO.

Anyway, sorry for the delay, but we're back.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy2001 View Post
:
As I stated in another thread, I wish that the app would record the real time runs so you could watch them after getting back.
The "racing options" that current Progression Ignition system owners can have added to their units by sending them in for the upgrade, or are available for $200 above the regular price, adds DATA LOGGING along with N²O timing retard and 2-step rev limiter launch control.
Your wish has been granted!

Old 12-28-2023, 01:09 PM

anyone still have that pdf. link no-go. email it to me? geiser gmail.com