Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Default Steel building labor cost

Anyone have a rough estimate of what it would cost to assemble a 50'x100'x16' 1:12 roof building with (3) roll up and (2) walk in doors and no windows? Just need labor cost to bolt it all up. Located in Texas.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

i am not much help but 6 yrs, ago i had a contractor put up a 36 X 48 with 10 ft. eves. with a 10 ft. door opening and a walk in door for $6000 cash. i put in the overhead door & electric. the slab was here when i bought the house.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Depends on your local labor market

It depends on the strength of your local economy.

Some areas of Texas are doing better than others.

Also depends on who you hire.

Some folks go to the local Home Depot and hire from the parking lot.

Whoever you hire - if it is not a licensed contactor with insured employees, if someone gets hurt or injured while in your employment on your property - you are liable.

Jim

Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 AM

I paid $1.25 per square foot when I built my 60 x 100 building in 2007. I think it cost me another $900 to install the 5 roll up doors. Total was $8400. I thought that was cheap, the guy did a really good job.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:23 PM

Default building cost

Thanks for the input. Definitely will use an insured contractor.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice steel building (red iron) contractors in my area are charging roughly $30 a square foot, that includes 5" concrete floor, footings, the concrete footprint, no concrete approaches, one entry door. that's for 14' wall 2x12 pitch 3000 sq ft building. No large roll up doors or openers installed. The contractors will blow smoke, telling you that's what we get, have to pay our crews well...yada, yada. Lot of expensive advertising and Blue Sky is what I have calculated. Going through this right now, and there are experienced hands out there wanting to work, as economy is on the slide with the Oil Patch down.

Want to save $$$$$, going to have to sub it out yourself:
-concrete...footings, wire, poured, finished, calculate per sq ft.
-erection...need a GOOD lead man. $300-350 a day, not uncommon price. Most will have their own Skytrak along with a welder and conpressor on a one ton.
Know what youre getting into with a lead man, dont get stuck with a huge rental bill on a Skytrak. Have heard that more than once from a relative that has put up quite a few 8-12,000 sq ft industrial buildings. Typical helpers in my area are typ paid $100-125 a day. Going to need two on a moderate sized 12-16 ft wall job. On a 5000 sq ft job, figure more helpers, more build days.
Am surprised you have a 50x100 kit. Every building mfg company i ran across building larger than a 30x40 was fabricating for a weld together frame.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 04-14-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 PM

Wow! we can have buildings turn keyed here for $15 a foot. I built my 60 x 100 with 3 20x12 doors, 2 10x10 doors and 2 walk thru doors less than $12 a foot back in 2007. Steel is way down right now. Building packages should be cheap.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm at $15/foot on my Pole barn at the moment, still need slab & doors which should add another $5. That does include the stone wall next to it, stone facing, gas, water & electrical connections from the house in it too and the Pex I have to run in the floor.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a 30'x50' steel building and put it up myself. The only thing I had to sub out was the concrete.

They are VERY easy to put together and the only equipment I had to rent was a lift to install the purloins and main supports. That ended up requiring the most labor and was only a weekend job that a couple of friends helped with.

Basically, once you set up the frame and purloins, use a "come-a-long" to square the frame up then start screwing down the siding. My 70 year old dad helped me put the siding up on one of the 50' walls in an afternoon.

These things are simple to put together and I wouldn't hesitate to build another one myself.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 04-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Big steel buildings will come in cheaper per foot than wood structures. I was considering building a 50x80 barn with a cement floor and it was going to be in the $22 per foot range. That is with no electrical and plumbing figured in.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On 3000 sq ft, I should in around $22 a foot with red iron (not trusses), 3 good sized roll up doors, one 14 ft high. 5" slab, with a footing. Can get the price down per foot by using truss type roof construction and 4x4 tubing for uprights. One contractor gave me quotes with 4x4 tubing uprights soaced every 5 foot, another contractor, every 10 foot. Some suppliers only spec extra concrete under the areas for the uprights, not a full footing.