THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Engine run stand advantageous?

How many have and find engine run stands a good idea? Who say nay?
I think it would be nice to be able to run in and test/setup a motor I'm assembling before taking all the time to install it in the car.
I have an opportunity to buy a Summit stand that has a radiator, fan and gauges already for $400

Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wished I’d had one for the last engine I did. Got some bad freeze but plugs that we’re going around the Buick community. Would have been an easy fix on a test stand.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a person is nuts not to use one. After all ... when you install it in the vehicle you will be using the vehicle as a test stand for the first week sorting everything out. And a real test stand makes fixing, tuning, tweaking a joy instead of a nightmare.

Hear a funny noise ... I can remove a few bolts, roll the engine over and take off the pan. Need to pull the distributor a few times to sort a problem ... absolute cake on a stand. Want to replace that rear main seal you didn't put in right ... flip it over and do it. Breaking in that new cam ... way easier on a stand where trouble is easier to hear, identify and fix.

After a week on the stand, carb tuned, initial ignition tweaking done, fresh oil change, no leaks ... drop it in the car and drive away.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO and I have used both a engine run stand and also breakin on a engine dyno.NO question the dyno is better if you have one within a 100 miles of where you live.JMHO,Tom

Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Suspended

If you do not build engines for a living its a big waste of money. Do you think Arnie Beswick had an engine run stand? Have it dyno'd and be done with it.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM

It does make it a Hell of a lot easier if you have a problem!
You could sell it when done if you wont be needed it again.
I am making one in my spare time! Which I have none of!

Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I see no down side except storing one when not needed. I’m looking at a used one too when I get home from FL

Old 04-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would never own one if I could borrow one!I can borrow one and still choose the dyno over it.Tom

Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 5% of the people here have any kind of reasonable access to a dyno. Or the resources to transport to and from the dyno.

A dyno IS a test stand, just has more functions and usefulness than a basic test stand.

Typically it's better to have an engine sorted BEFORE going to the dyno ... you don't want to be paying dyno money to play around with carb setting, ignition, fixing leaks etc. So sure, if you have a FREE dyno to use, have at it, but for mortals that have to pay for such things .... sort it on a stand first, then take it to the dyno.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made one out of a second gen subframe with the radiator support attached. It was extremely handy, epsecially with it being so easy to get to the engine. I roll it out into the wooded area behind my house when not in use.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Any engine shop worth its salt has a dyno.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually every dyno I have used had dyno carbs there to NOT have a issue.For a run stand or a dyno I ALWAYS have a know dizzy and carbs in my drawer.I have a QJ,AFBs and a holley that I know will lite the engine.Since I lost Joe Sherman and the use of his dyno I have found 3 other dynos within 20 miles of me.To transport one you can always rent a pickup to get a engine to a from a dyno.Its ALWAYS more EZ to find a reason NOT to use one.You cant find out if you have a detonation issue very EZ on the run stand.VERY EZ to see it on the dyno.FWIW,carry on.Tom

Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had one for 20+ years and have tested Pontiac's, 455 Buick's, SBC+BBC even a Ford engine once. Got an engine "that ran when pulled"? Test it and know for sure. Got a running engine not in a car to sell? If you can fire it up for a potential buyer and he can hear it and see the oil pressure... I've sold three engines out of my stand doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ersNd3AqVs

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 PM

I use run in stand all the time, when I'm done with it mine is made to come apart, then I just hang it on the wall. LOL Tom you just have to much free cash on hand. Save your money like I do to pay the high taxes and gas prices just like in NY. One thing I will say neg about my stand. If I had used a dyno instead of my stand I might not have had the problems that would follow. I built a motor for a customer and he wanted to use the new fast dual EFI system on it. Since my stand in only made to run a carb, I broke in the motor on the run stand and did all my testing on it. I used with a carb on a RA IV manifold to run the motor. All went well, I then install the new motor in the car. I already had fitted and installed the electronics and fuel system into the car to run the new fast system. The car started right up and ran great until I went to shut it off. The fuel pump wouldn't shut of and it ruined the cylinder walls by glazing them with large amounts of fuel. This is known as fuel wash and is death to a new motor. Smoked like a bad diesel truck Back out came the motor Fast made good for the bad controller but not for anything else They also named their system right since it RUINED the motor real FAST. And now you know the rest of the story.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have tried to live with the deal that I would rather do it right the first time instead as you have learned to have to do it over!Tom

Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A addict View Post
How many have and find engine run stands a good idea? Who say nay?
I think it would be nice to be able to run in and test/setup a motor I'm assembling before taking all the time to install it in the car.
I have an opportunity to buy a Summit stand that has a radiator, fan and gauges already for $400
T/A Addict,

I live in Missouri also.

Go ahead and make your best deal on the stand and when you are done with it I will buy it for my 455 build. Then when I am done with it I will sell it and the next person will do the same.

DaDuck

Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built mine out of an engine stand in such a way the stand can still be used as a regular engine building stand when not used as a test stand (made it four wheel, added removable supports at the engine mounts). Gauge panel support and radiator support are removable.

I added a "radiator holder" that works with the OEM radiators for my year GTO so I could also test the radiator at the same time. Shown without the cushions to protect the radiator (should have built it to support by the tanks)

Shown with old radiator to test fit.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test-Stand-11.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	510942  

Old 04-25-2019, 05:50 AM

I was very hesitant to install a cam etc on my current build because I didn't want to do all the work of installing it in the car only to find an issue and have to pull it back out so I had been thinking of building/buying a run stand.... (out of an engine stand like that or even using an extra 2nd Gen subframe that I have haha- great idea). I have asked a few guys at work if they knew of anyone or a local shop with a dyno or runstand that weren't too expensive and was going to start calling a couple shops but ran it across the right guy yesterday that told me of another coworker that has one that he bought to build his race motor and may be willing to sell it since his build is done. One of those "right place at the right time" moments that rarely happen. Now while I do believe a dyno would be the ultimate way to go I just don't have the extra money to spend if not necessary. Storage may be a PIA but I'll deal with it.

While this is my first assembly I have always wanted to build motors so I plan on learning and building a few more, thus it will not be a one use only project.
Hey Duck...... I travel through Cottleville almost daily to and from work, so if it's not in use when you need it you could likely just borrow it.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of pictures. I used an instrument cluster from an old T/A, a HEI distributor,and a core support from either a 71 or 75 T/A. The gas tank came from a lawn mower.

I ran in a 455 for my 74 T/A on it. We were taking it to a friend's house who lived well out in the country. I was afraid I would get my neighbors upset by firing it up through just a set of glass packs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	510958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	510959  

Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Suspended

Time and money spent on a "one time used" engine stand would be about what a much more productive dyno session costs. Unless you have the full knowledge, experience and capabilities of a top notch dyno tuner. Since the mid 90's, everything I build gets dyno'd, not so much for the HP/TQ numbers, but for the ultimate fine tuning that cannot be accomplished by buzzing down the road. After that, its a simple drop it in and go. No BS screwing around.