The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Here’s my ?.........is 8000 used in place of say a wool pad and compound?
I guess this mounts on a d/a like 3000? I use my 3000 wet so same with 8000?
After 8000 do you go over it with foam pad and polishing compound to get swirls out?
Doing a black 57 Chevy right now. Wet sanded with 1500, 2000, 3000 and ready to buff with wool pad, then foam. What’s the steps using 8000?
Never knew this 8000 existed till this post, thanks a bunch!!!
Jerry
8000 would be like replacing the black foam pad machine polish step. 3000 would be like replacing the wool pad and compound step. Both 3000 & 8000 are used wet on a da. The polish is used with a purple waffle foam pad.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, Flynby....... I’ll have to get some 8000 next week. Thanks to all for the hot tips.
Have a great Labor Day!

Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbye View Post
Here’s a look at the Perfect-it 1 step system.
1500, 3000, 8000 then polish.
Need to spend a little more time with the 3000 refining the 1500 but really easy and much cleaner without all the compounds.
So....have you used the 3m polish and foam pads....with any luck to their claim of no swirl marks....with just a rotary buffah ? I haven’t used their polishing system...just the 8k paper with my go to compound with micro wool pad...followed by the orbital polisher with micro fiber pads to remove swirl marks.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
So....have you used the 3m polish and foam pads....with any luck to their claim of no swirl marks....with just a rotary buffah ? I haven’t used their polishing system...just the 8k paper with my go to compound with micro wool pad...followed by the orbital polisher with micro fiber pads to remove swirl marks.
I have, but all the planets need to be aligned!
Need to keep the pads clean and separate from each other.

I would agree that finishing with an orbital gives you a much better success rate.