THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Public Service Announcement

This is a cautionary tale based on my experience this last week and a half.

Last Wednesday I decided to continue making progress in the garage and chose to install the factory 80A alternator in my ‘73 wagon. Not a hard job, but it does require changing the accessory drive brackets for the power steering and alternator and to my knowledge they hadn’t been done in years. I set out Wednesday afternoon after work and fought the typical long timing cover bolt issues, but it didn’t break and after an hour and a half of leaning over the car in the heat I had it all done but the alternator itself. Wife comes home at that time and a family crisis ensues, so I couldn’t finish the job.

I picked it back up Saturday afternoon. It had rained and was about 90 outside but I figured it’s just tensioning an alternator and power steering pump so it shouldn’t be too difficult. I got everything finished up but was dying of sweat and fatigue at the end of it all. I decided to wash the car after to get the pollen grime off. I was only able to lift the sponge and wash for maybe 30-45s at a time before getting majorly dizzy and light headed. I did finish getting the car washed up top but called it as I was barely able to stand - East Tennessee humidity in summertime will do a number on you, right? I felt dehydrated and drank some Gatorade to try and feel better.

Fast forward Monday morning and I’m at work on my usual rounds to check out part of the large machine I’m responsible for and it requires 1/2 mile of walking up hill to get to. I do this every day and have for 5 years. I almost passed out and doubled over three times on that walk, extreme fatigue and breath shortness. My coworker with me said I didn’t look good and I agreed I didn’t feel good. He took me to medical and I thought “I can’t be having a heart attack, I’m too young and in good shape, but something sure isn’t right!” Fortunately it wasn’t a heart attack but I was starting to go into shock because I was apparently bleeding out internally. Trip to the ER is advised by the work doctor because they can’t do those tests at the job site. While I feel I might be able to take a few days off to rest, I agree to go to the hospital.

At the hospital they do all of the tests they like to do and I’ve been here for 5 days. Results are in: I have a rare and an aggressive form of stomach cancer. Fortunately it is very early stage and small and will easily be surgically removed (which I’m waiting for right now as I write this) and I should recover from it without too much issue, but before leaning over the car Wednesday aggravated it to cause it to start bleeding I had zero symptoms that they associate with this type of cancer. If I hadn’t done the job I might not have ever aggravated it enough until it was much bigger and maybe had metastasized. I’m one of the 10% hopefully - 5 year survival for this is 10% if not caught before stage 3, which I fortunately did.

So... guys and gals. I’m under 40 and don’t have a family history of cancer - my relatives have all lived into their 80s and 90s minus 1 or 2. This could have been written off as fatigue, rested up enough to stop getting tired, and gone back to business as usual for some number of years. My one saving grace is I’m extremely active and usually walk 7-8 miles a day for work and can dart up stairs and hills without getting winded and was suddenly unable to do that. I guess what I’m saying is if something doesn’t feel right, get it looked at. Find out why. There’s a lot of skepticism about doctors and medical professionals but when you need them, you really need them. This isn’t something diet and exercise would have fixed. I’m not asking for sympathy or anything, but if my experience gets someone else to think twice and find out something early and get it treated while they still can, that is the point.

Unfortunately my car working on days are over for at least 2-3 months while I recover, which is annoying as I’m mid-engine swap and mid-engine rebuild on another motor that I’m juggling for 4 different cars, but hopefully in the fall I can get back on it!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this. I’m glad you caught it early! Good thoughts coming your way. Please keep us up to date.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for sharing.

I think we tend to want to "power through" even when we don't feel well. That wouldn't have been the right choice in this case.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Healthy living, a good diet, exercise, regular checkups.

Nothing can take the place of good old fashion luck.

Glad to hear your ok, thanks for the heads up.

Frank

Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Lord, Give Ben the best treatment, no more "even" chance of any more cancer, quick easy and mighty healing, without doubt!!! Amen!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get Rest , the car stuff will be their when your Ready, good think you went to the Hospital to find out what was wrong.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Wow! So sorry to hear this, good you caught it early, and good they were able to diagnose you and know what your best course of treatment will be. I know all to well the path you will be on for some time. I’m an 8 year Leukemia survivor, I was never sick, never missed work, didn’t smoke or drink pretty active, not as much as you. I had no symptoms except.....I started getting bruises on my body that were in weird places, but didn’t hurt. I literally watched blood pooling under my skin. Blood work told the story AML, in a stage that the Dr. did not expect me to leave the hospital alive. 8 years later here I am. So STAY hopeful! Attitude is EVERYTHING! sad but true, we can be the healthiest person in the world, or the un healthiest person, Cancers strike ALL! No rhyme or reason for it in most cases. But we must trust our Dr.s and try and stay as positive as we can taking it one day at a time and ask as many questions as you need to learning through it. Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family, keep us posted on your progress with treatment. Chin up!! You will get through it. . As said, your projects will be there waiting for you, after 8 years, I’m getting back into my car shows, and even a 78 Bandit Trans AM project, BTW I am 63 years old.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 06-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben, that's an incredible story! I hope nothing but the best for you. You are very lucky to find this so early. Its funny how things work out. Similar thing happened to my brother, he was having issues that doctors thought were allergies, long story short, just by pure luck and having talked about it to the right person he found out he had throat cancer. They caught it early enough and he has made a full recovery.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best wishes for your recovery!

Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dude!

I remember you from TAC-v1.0 days.

I'll pray for a speedy recovery.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's good that they caught it early. We are all rooting for you. You are absolutely right about the need listen to what your body is telling you. A lot of us, especially males, tend to avoid the doctor like the plague. The tough guy routine isn't worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Cancer is scary stuff, it is sad as a country we have not made much progress in curing any form of cancer.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben, my thoughts, positive energy, brotherly love all sent your way.

I fought chronic disease that could have been fatal, so my two bits I always offer: Be a warrior. Slay the dragon. When I was a victim, the disease thrived and grew. Treatment failed. When I decided to toe to toe it with what I saw as an evil dragon, the same meds finally worked. The only difference was my mindset. The best to you, brother.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben, I’m going through the cancer crap myself. Mine (papillary thyroid carcinoma) wasn’t even anticipated except as a remote possibility. It was the same as yours: zero symptoms. Just follow your surgeon’s advice. Chemo/radiation are going to be hellish(I’ve got six weeks of I-131 therapy to look forward to), but a positive attitude goes a long way. You are definitely in my prayers.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gonna pray for a fine recovery for you.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hate that you have this- but glad you decided to tackle that project to discover it.

You are absolutely right about listening to our bodies

Old 06-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Get well Soon, The cars will wait.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine from our local GTO club had the same thing happen to him last fall. Unfortunately he didn’t find it until it was too late. He lasted 6 weeks. I’m glad you discovered your tumor. Speedy recovery Ben.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Ben
Still praying for the best for you!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Lord, Give Ben the best treatment, no more "even" chance of any more cancer, quick easy and mighty healing, without doubt!!! Amen!!!
x's 2