Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ford Edge help please

The back up camera is out on my ‘13 Edge. An OEM is hundreds of $$$$ but I see them on EBay and other sites for $15-40 bucks. I guess you usually get what you pay for but ........
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Fuses good and b/up alarm works so pretty sure it’s the camera.
Thanks, Jerry

Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bummer, None of the backup camera's on my cars (01 Benz, 01 Road King, 03 Expedition, 06 F 150,) work either!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Suspended

The cameras are rather simple and don't usually go bad without reason.

2 simple things to check:

1) Check to see if you or someone else didn't inadvertently turn it off. It can be done. Check your information center.

2) Inspect the wiring and plug back by the tailgate. If I recall there are only 3 or 4 wires that operate it. Just like power accessories in a door, the wires could be chafed, broke or disconnected from use.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Bummer, None of the backup camera's on my cars (01 Benz, 01 Road King, 03 Expedition, 06 F 150,) work either!
Please tell me there is no back up camera on a HARLEY

Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to the OP, every once in awhile my sarcasm goes out of control. I just thought it was kinda funny that a backup camera going bad is an issue. I have never had a car with one, and have never seemed to have a problem in reverse. Things called mirrors always do the trick. Guess Im getting too old for this new fangled stuff!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Sorry to the OP, every once in awhile my sarcasm goes out of control. I just thought it was kinda funny that a backup camera going bad is an issue. I have never had a car with one, and have never seemed to have a problem in reverse. Things called mirrors always do the trick. Guess Im getting too old for this new fangled stuff!
My Super Duty has one. I find it to be more of a hindrance and a distraction than an aid. The only time I use it is when I'm hooking up a trailer. A buddy of mine's father had a Honda Accord that had cameras everywhere. I couldn't drive it. Too many distractions.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Looks like you can get a factory camera for around $180 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Backup-BT4Z-1...J0Z8FCMK305WPM

I found this video about repairing a 2011 Edge backup camera, I don't know if it's the same as 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbnUzFixfM

This page has some troubleshooting advice that may be useful: https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...ing-ford-edge/

Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a backup camera with the “someone’s coming from the side” radar in my Yukon XL. (The big one.). It’s a lifesaver when backing that beast (my daily driver) up, but now backing up my Pontiac or other cars takes extra attention and effort. .

I think Uncle Sam Mandated them in new cars starting this year.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:

“Every once in awhile? “

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys...... I’ll check to make sure it didn’t inadvertently get turned off. I could get by without the camera, but obviously you guys aren’t married... lol.. my wife likes it... nuff said??

Thanks again . I’ll look at Amazon if I have to get a new unit.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your Edge has the 3.5 liter engine, be aware that the water pump
is inside the engine driven by the timing chain. These pumps have been known
to fail at very low mileage (around 60K) and dump coolant in the engine oil and destroy the motor. To change the water pump as a precaution costs megabucks
as well because the engine has to be removed and put on a stand, then the
front of it dismantled to get to the pump. These cars are akin to driving around with a guillotine hanging over your neck, wondering when it will drop. If the motor gets damaged by the pump, it costs 6500 dollars to get it repaired, and Ford will not help out at all. I don't dislike Fords.......I own a Lincoln Town Car and a
Ford Expedition, but would not own a 3.5 front wheel drive if you gave me the car for free.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is true except for the engine removal. The water pump can be replaced with the engine in the vehicle. There is a weep hole out the front of the engine near the alternator that lets you know that the pump is starting to leak. Most people don't know about it , or ignore it. Still a really asinine set up that's for sure.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are your backup lights working? I use "Rear View Safety" system and they sell all kinds of adapters if you want to try a different camera.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh, shick....! Didn’t know that about the water pump. Mine is the 3.5 and 2wd. Will check the weep hole mentioned. My car has 72k miles...... reminds me of timing belts that fail and bend valves for at least a total top end rebuild. $6500 because an h2o pump goes bad....doesn’t seem like quite enough!!!
Well new camera seems like peanuts now!
Thanks again for the tips and comments, gotta check for leaks! LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I have a camera that was working that a customer stated it would go out now and than, if you have a part number? Mine is AG1Z-19G490-D

I work at a Ford dealer, we pull those engines to do the water pump, a lot easier than trying to do it in the car.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 08-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, Bill...... haven’t looked into the camera any more but I’m going to. I appreciate the part # too.

I guess when you guys/ gals change these bad water pumps or p/m them you just drop the cradle? If so can the pump be changed while mtr is attached to the cradle and trans?
May be time for a trade... lol

Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
I think I have a camera that was working that a customer stated it would go out now and than, if you have a part number? Mine is AG1Z-19G490-D

I work at a Ford dealer, we pull those engines to do the water pump, a lot easier than trying to do it in the car.
DAMN! I guess Ford is known for things like this. Wasn't it the Pinto that needed the engine jacked up to remove the oil filter or starter? And the Boss 9 just about needed the engine pulled to change the spark plugs?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the part # for the one I have. looks like its for a Taurus, the Edge is a ET4Z-19G490-A

We take the exhaust and cradle off first . Than drop the engine and trans out the bottom. Usually will be a coolant loss and milky looking oil when they get real bad. Than its too late because of coolant going thru the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Thanks, Bill...... haven’t looked into the camera any more but I’m going to. I appreciate the part # too.

I guess when you guys/ gals change these bad water pumps or p/m them you just drop the cradle? If so can the pump be changed while mtr is attached to the cradle and trans?
May be time for a trade... lol

6.27@107
9.97@131