Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Proper alignment of cams to crankshaft timing marks.
Evidence of chain contacting anything else besides it's normal gears and tensioner/s.
Drain oil and strain, looking for particulate contamination, metals, chain guide material, etc...stuff that could plug the oil screen.

I believe the interference is at the outer edge of the pistons, if so, damaged/pinched ring lands @ the piston outer edges if you remove the head.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

Been busy.
I pulled the valve cover and the timing chain is loose to the point I can lift it up off the sprocket teeth. Droops below the top chain guide say 1/2 inch or so.
The next thing I'm going to is:
(And correct me if I'm doing anything wrong plz).
1. Check for loose rockers.
2. Turn the crankshaft to put cylinder #1 at TDC which will close both the intake and exhaust valves.
3. Add air pressure through spark plug orifice and check for air at the throttle-body and exhaust.

Genesis 6:13
Old 04-02-2018, 05:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP67 View Post
Been busy.
I pulled the valve cover and the timing chain is loose to the point I can lift it up off the sprocket teeth. Droops below the top chain guide say 1/2 inch or so.
That can't be good.

Quote:
The next thing I'm going to is:
(And correct me if I'm doing anything wrong plz).
1. Check for loose rockers.
2. Turn the crankshaft to put cylinder #1 at TDC which will close both the intake and exhaust valves.
Only if you are at TDC Compression. TDC Exhaust will assure both valves are slightly open.
Quote:
3. Add air pressure through spark plug orifice and check for air at the throttle-body and exhaust.
And check the radiator for bubbles, and check the valve cover for excess blow-by.

An actual leakdown tester will put numbers to the cylinder leakage. If you've used the leakdown tester on "known-good" engines, you'll have a guide to what's acceptable leakage, and what's excessive. Rings always leak. Valves, castings, and gaskets shouldn't.