THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OBD2 Scanner

I've had a Harbor Freight scan tool for many years. It has served me very well. I use it for reading and resetting codes. Also for seeing if all emission tests have passed after a reset, etc. I'm looking for a tool with more advanced features. The Bluetooth adapter for iPhone looks attractive and inexpensive. But the reviews for the adapters is all over the place. I'll buy a handheld if that's the best route though. Whatcha know about this?

Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 AM
Suspended

I have used Actron units for years that have served me very well. No, they're no Snap-On, OTC, Oasis or any other unobtainable or $10,000.00 units but they do a good job at a very reasonable price.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No gots. Yet Advanced Auto will do a free scan, and you watch what C3PO does with his R2D2. AND learn. The fella had to go to the internets to decipher the generic Code:

loose gas cap. (really a cracking O-Ring in the Cap.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I have used Actron units for years that have served me very well. No, they're no Snap-On, OTC, Oasis or any other unobtainable or $10,000.00 units but they do a good job at a very reasonable price.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

I use an Actron too, nice features for the money spent. You can certainly spend more, but if the cheaper alternative gets you the same results, why spend more?..........

I have an OTC early scanner for the early GM CCC systems that I paid $400 for back in the 80s. The Actron is a much better unit than the old OTC is. As with everything electronic, as time passes it gets better, and the price comes down.

I like the idea of having a dedicated unit just for doing detective work on an onboard ECM system. I probably wouldn't want to use my smartphone for this application. Probably not going to work as well as a dedicated unit would as far as running tests etc.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Senior Chief

Years ago I found a dealer tech who was retiring and was selling a Tech II. I bought it for I think $600 and used it quite a bit for years. I ended up buying a candi module later on for $500 but it was a very worthwhile purchase. They only work for GM vehicles as that is all I work on anyway. Sometimes you can find used equipment on craigslist or ebay.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started using the "Blue Driver" phone based scanner a couple of years ago. Works nice, updates the data base frequently, lots of good tools. Has a blue tooth plug that goes in the OBD socket and connects to your phone. Has been very reliable.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I started using the "Blue Driver" phone based scanner a couple of years ago. Works nice, updates the data base frequently, lots of good tools. Has a blue tooth plug that goes in the OBD socket and connects to your phone. Has been very reliable.
That's one that I was considering. Good to hear that it's worked well for you.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought my second Autell scan tool 2 months ago. My first one was a DS708 I bought from Harbor Freight believe it or not. It was right at $1000.00 with the 25% discount card you can get anywhere. It worked pretty good, but was slow. Used Microsoft CE tablet software which was pretty weak and slow. But it had good coverage and served my needs at the shop. But it was outdated only working up to 2014. My new one is a Autel DS 908, just the latest version. The big changes are it is much, much faster using android phone operating system. It will also auto-identify 90% of the VINS I have tried. It also does Tire pressure monitor re-programming, programming for key FOBS, ignition keys, ABS, air bag and lots more. The new one was $600.00 at www.Chinacardiag.com. Sold my old one for $200.00. So $400.00 got me an excellent and versatile tool.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made a couple mistakes in the above post. The web site should be www.chinacardiags.com. Be sure to include the last "S". Also, the model scan tool I have is Autel DS 808 KIT. I see it includes 2020 models and is $739 now. Mine must have been the last of the 2019 models and was $599.00 free shipping. Sorry for the possible confusion.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I agree 100% on this My Actron I was able to update online even..

Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly's & others and they'll scan via OBDII and tell you what the faults are. There is no cost and no obligation.

I have an OBDII scan tool, but find better, understandable results at my local parts store. Dealers are not so generous. They nearly always charge a fee to diagnose.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also have an Actron. No complaints.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:01 AM

I've got a couple different cheap bluetooth elm327 scanners that work fine with my android phone using the torque app. However, If I was buying another one I'd get one of these from obdlink. They have a faster connection so you can log more data then the cheaper tools. https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/1...eb_10349295011

Old 01-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Go to Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly's & others and they'll scan via OBDII and tell you what the faults are. There is no cost and no obligation.

I have an OBDII scan tool, but find better, understandable results at my local parts store. Dealers are not so generous. They nearly always charge a fee to diagnose.
It is probably worth mentioning that although the parts stores will use a scan tool to retrieve codes and even provide you with a printout and definitions in some cases, their primary objective is to sell parts. That's why they provide the service. It's nice of them, sure, and a free service much like free battery replacement, and wiper blade installation. Remember, however, NO scan tool or trouble codes TELL YOU what is wrong with your car, period. The codes stored are simply a reference to an open, short, or out of expected range signal from thousands and thousands of signals going through a multiplex of dozens of modules in the vehicle. Yes it's true that many of the codes point to a particular part you can buy, replace and plug in and see what happens. The problem may be fixed, it may not if it's a circuit, wiring or processor issue. It's what we in the repair industry refer to as the "shotgun approach" to auto repair. Or we also call it the "RAP" method (replace all parts) Retrieve the code, replace all associated parts. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it costs the vehicle owner thousands in unnecessary repairs. That's why a better scan tool like the OP was indicating he wanted is superior. You can record events in real time, map and graph thousands of inputs and outputs, perform functional output tests on all kinds of actuators and sensors. Actually diagnose and repair the problem.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It is probably worth mentioning that although the parts stores will use a scan tool to retrieve codes and even provide you with a printout and definitions in some cases, their primary objective is to sell parts. That's why they provide the service. It's nice of them, sure, and a free service much like free battery replacement, and wiper blade installation. Remember, however, NO scan tool or trouble codes TELL YOU what is wrong with your car, period. The codes stored are simply a reference to an open, short, or out of expected range signal from thousands and thousands of signals going through a multiplex of dozens of modules in the vehicle. Yes it's true that many of the codes point to a particular part you can buy, replace and plug in and see what happens. The problem may be fixed, it may not if it's a circuit, wiring or processor issue. It's what we in the repair industry refer to as the "shotgun approach" to auto repair. Or we also call it the "RAP" method (replace all parts) Retrieve the code, replace all associated parts. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it costs the vehicle owner thousands in unnecessary repairs. That's why a better scan tool like the OP was indicating he wanted is superior. You can record events in real time, map and graph thousands of inputs and outputs, perform functional output tests on all kinds of actuators and sensors. Actually diagnose and repair the problem.
As Mike alludes to replacing a defective part is in the best interest of the parts retailer, it may or may not repair the problem. There is a troubleshooting tree in most repair manuals that is to be used to find a problem that isn't just a sensor out of spec. This is what separates a technician, from a parts changer.

Parts changers usually don't own any diagnostic tools such as a VOM, and even if they do own one they can't use it.

When I was in the trade, I can't tell you how many cars I've had brought to me that had every part under the hood that could be changed was brand new, and the car still had the original problem that it started with and the car owners wallet was a whole bunch thinner...............

My father who was also in the trade most of his adult life called the parts changers, as opposed to real mechanics. Dad also said that in the future a good tech was going to get almost as much respect as a good doctor........... The jury is still out on that one..................LOL

Mechanic/techs have gained respect as time goes on, I don't believe they're as respected as doctors yet...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 AM
Suspended

Yep to the last 2 posts. ^

Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many of the codes read by the scanners at the parts house are generic codes. Not the oem codes. So, one can toss parts at it and not fix it.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:25 PM

I use a a harbor fright one too for scanning and resetting the fleet but on by commuter I also have an UltraGage on the dash at all times. Its pretty low tech but you can view the OBDII data plus some basic calculations real time while you're driving. When all is well I usually keep intake temp, trip MPG and o2 and a few others on display.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Speaking of parts stores...Many times it will read the code and say "No solution found" or if it points to a certain part they buy and install it. Most times if it doesn't fix the problem they remove it and return it. A lot of people just want to clear the code not realizing that it will just come back. I myself have a "Creader" scan tool I was given after I worked on car that was misdiagnosed saving them a lot of money. It works great although it may be becoming dated being a few years old.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge